Turntable and Amp upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi I going to upgrade my turntable and amplifier. 99% of the records that I listen to are JAZZ from 50s' & 60s'. My current system is:
- Audio Analogue - Puccini Settanta (Amplifier)

- Audio Analogue - Paganini 192.24 2.0 (CD player)

- REGA - PLANAR 3 (Turntable) with a Sumiko - Blue Point No.2

- Sonus faber - Concerto Domus (speakers)

...and I am thinking on buying this upgrade:

- Audio Research - VSi60 ...OR... Audio Research VS55 + SP17

- Michell Engineering - Gyro Silver (25th anniversary)
- Sumiko-BlackBird

Anyone can give me a help here...any good (or bad) experiences with these equipment? any suggestions?

Many thanks

Ricardo

A

Anonymous

Good choice on the TT and Cart.

Never heard either of the Amp options but the VSI60 doesn't appear t have a phono stage so you would need to add an external one.

Depending on which record labels your records are predominantly from it might be worth looking into a phono amp with adjustable equalisation curves such as the the Graham Slee Jazz Club, because the RIAA curve wasn't standardised until the 50's and even then it wasn't used by all labels for a while.

A

Anonymous

Thanks. The most common labels I have are Blue Note, Columbia, Prestige, Riverside and a couple of Verve, Clef, Debut. I have not many records but the ones I have are 1st press, so I am talking about 50s' and 60s' recordings. Your advise would be going to the Graham Slee Jazz Club?

Do you have a good experience with the TT and cart? fo a while I was considering the Well Tempered Amadeus TT, but I was advice to do and take a look to Michell Engineering - Gyro Silver; you also consider it a better option?

A

Anonymous

I've actually not heard that combo, but heard the TT with other carts and thought it was very good.

Also heard the Sumiko used with the Michelle Techno arm and thought it was supurb - it will probably be my next cart, used in a Techno arm.

I cant remember which writer it was but Stereophile magazine loved the blackbird with the Reflex (I think, though it may have been the ERA V) which are very similar but without the switchable equalisation curves.

The few early disks that I have are very infrequently played so I'm not sure how big an impact the different equalisation curves will be on the sound of your collection, but as that phono stage was specifically designed for early jazz records it would seem like a good place to start auditioning.

A

Anonymous

In fact the Gyro Silver is with a Michelle TecnoArm and Sumiko-BlackBird. I will listen them in my place next week for the final judgement: let's see how Audio Research VSi60 versus Audio Research VS55 + SP17 goes!

I will dig deeper on that phono stage - I have ZERO experience/knowledge on this phono stage.

Thanks for your time and sharing!

A

Anonymous

Hello, are you based in Portugal? Where do you use to buy your gear, if I may ask? Thanks.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Gyro is beautiful. As an alternative though have you considered the Roksan Radius? Just as beautiful in a different way and always worth listening to at least two contenders IMHO. Other than that it looks like you've got a good foundation
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts