Turntable Upgrade Help

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi:

After a couple of years I am thinking on upgrading my turntable (and probably my amplifier). I have listen (with some of my records) to a SME Model 10 turntable and I enjoy it very much but there are a lot of choices out there.

Does anyone have any experience (that would like to share) with the SME Model 10? For a equivalent price any other recommendations?

This is my system:

Audio Analogue - Puccini Settanta (Amplifier)

Audio Analogue - Paganini 192.24 2.0 (CD player)

REGA - PLANAR 3 (Turntable) with a Sumiko - Blue Point No.2

Sonus faber - Concerto Domus (speakers)

Thanks for the help,

Ricardo

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
It all depends on what sound your after Ricardo. The SME will give you a more transient sound (thats me), clean edges, taught, lean slamming bass and a rhythmical performance. But going by your set up, harmonics are more your bag, so i'd look at VPI Classic or Michell Orbe Turntable for starters.

Did you look into the PurePower unit?

A

Anonymous

First the Pure Power: I have been digging/researching for power solutions. Pure Power seems a very good one - let's see the price of it! I have also "open" a judicial process against the electricity company. To start it seems that I am getting good results; I was contact by them in order to solve the problem :) (very good news)

Turntable: I am a Jazz listener. More specifically, I "collect" 1st press Jazz records, mainly in near mint conditions and Mono (I have received a relative large Jazz 1st press collection - '40 to '60 - from a relative). The system described is my first one and as I said I want to upgrade it. My reasoning is: start with a system upgradable and enjoy it in its full capacity, then UPGRADE and rediscover my records (I mean literally rediscover - I have heard some of my records in superior systems and...WOHHH! Almost like a new musical experience; new sounds, details, the bass goes insanely good, etc.)

So, considering my music preferences do you still advise the VPI Classic or Michell Orbe?

Many thanks for your help and time once again,

Ricardo

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
I recently had a listen to a 'Jazz' set up comprising of Dynavector L300 Pre, HX-1.2 Power with Shahinian Obilisk. For the life of me can't remember the the deck but the cartridge was a Dynavector DV 20 x. The turntable (it's bugging me now) was very laid back and the overall presentation was dark, mysterious and chilled. In fact bit reminded me of a smoky, dimly lit jazz club, it had the desired effect! The Shahinian's are a weird (for a better word) but enjoyable listen, throwing the music up and about the room in a fashion i'm not used too (stage). I did enjoy it though.
This system was built around the harmonics of music the time after the transient. I would say the Classic and/or Orbe be on the "must listen" list in that price bracket plus anything else you find out their.
Also just a mention on cartridges. As your listening is mainly first press jazz the frequency range of the cart could be worth looking into. These recordings aren't limited to 20hz/20khz and getting a cart that operates outside these frequencies would give you a getter 'overall' sound, Transfiguration springs to mind but there are others.
The 20hz/20khz "shackle" would be worth considering in any later upgrade, there are amps and speakers alike that operate within these restraints.

Enjoy your upgrade path and keep us posted.

A

Anonymous

There is a lot of things I would like to ask you after your last post! :)

So, I will take a listen to a Orbe turntable. I am not sure I can access a Classic around me; I will try find a store with it. From my interpretation you don't advise the SME?

More interesting is your cartridges "shackle" paragraphs. I don't know if you have the time to or if this is the right place to, but, can you explain a little more about the 1st press and the bandwidth frequencies? From my understanding of your post you are saying that the 1st press have a wither frequencies that my current system can support, in other words, I am missing a lot of (frequencies) music. I am honestlly interested in this because one thing I want is to get the most I can form my records and because I am also a researcher (professionally speaking) I want to know more about this particularly part of the music world (Jazz Vinyl).

Thanks you very much for your truly interesting information.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
On the SME, it's not a matter of right or wrong but a personnel choice. Whatever floats your boat as such. My system is a transient system and it plays on this well, even down to the Dynavector P75 phono stage. I haven't heard any 40 to 60's jazz on my system and the nearest i get to any jazz playing on it is Norah Jones and thats debatable, but she does sound beautiful and i love to listen to her voice.

The frequencies of vinyl from those years aren't hindered by digital restraints. You can if you wish put down on vinyl 10hz to over 100khz but us as humans (bar a few) can't hear beyond 20/20, it doesn't mean though those frequencies cant be heard in other forms as resonances and nuances of the frequency which is being produced, these sounds good or bad will make it onto the recording giving you the "whole" picture.

On a personnel note, i use a cart with a 20/20 restraint and this is basically down to the music i listen too and that most of it is new releases but where a well recorded, mixed and mastered pressing like Bjork's DMM press of Vespertine' (which i'm listening too at the moment) is played, sounds truly magical.

Enjoy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks!

:) You should listen for instance to this:

(hope I am able to insert the image)

Bird & Diz

Charlie Parker and Dizzy Gillespie - 1952 (1st press in EX conditions)

A

Anonymous

Bird & Diz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_%26_Diz

Info's to select a good copy:

- 10-inch LP

- David Stone Martin's "trumpeter" label

- MGC-nnn number (Mercury/Clef pressings)

On your system try this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moanin'

Art Blakey and Jazz Messengers on BLUE NOTE 4003

PLEASE if you buy one this last one take some time to find one:

- Original 1963

- With Deep Groove on both sides of the label

- With '63RD AVE., NEW YORK' Address on both sides of the label

- With a pretzel-like engravure (also know as 'Ear' or a Italic P) and RVG in the trail-off vinyl

I promise you this Is worth the listen!

Please send me an mail (rmatias@me.com) when you have the Experience! :)

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Cheers Ricardo, i'll hunt a copy and let you know how i hear things through this thread, but will drop you a personnel thanks.

A

Anonymous

Hello again,

Some months have passed...I am now looking at this possibility:

- Audio Research - VSi60

- Michell Engineering - Gyro Silver (25th anniversary)

- Sumiko-BlackBird

...or with:

- Audio Research VS55 + SP17

What do you think?

Ricardo

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts