Turntable Advice Please

bodski100

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi all Im looking to upgrade my turntable from a well used Project Essential 2.
The budget is around 1200 pounds and it will be running with Cambrdge Audio CXA60 Amp and Linn Kelidh Floor standing Speakers I also will be using the Cambridge Alva solo phono stage.
I have been looking at Rega P3 and P6 but I dont know if I should be considring anything else.
Thanks in advance.

Gray

As a Project owner you may well have seen this:
With your sort of budget I'd be looking at a Technics 1500C.
Not sure if you already own the CA Alva Solo, but the Technics' built-in preamp is supposed to be quite decent.
Maybe you'd want a cartridge upgrade on either of the above.
I'm sure someone will be able recommend something to use up all of your £1200 budget.

As you may have noticed nobody has yet mentioned Rega.....
Whilst they are excellent turntables in their own right they tend not to be as flexible as others when it comes to using different cartridges etc.
I would take the Debut Pro over the Rega Planar 3.
Thoughts on buying second hand??

Last edited:
I own the original Classic and it's fab both aesthetically and sound. I like Pro-ject.

Another one to look at which is cracking, although slightly over budget is the ClearAudio Concept MM table. Have demoed that one prior to buying the Classic. Another impressive table, if you can live without a lid. They can be purchased as a separate item but it'll take you way over budget.

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
As a Project owner you may well have seen this:
With your sort of budget I'd be looking at a Technics 1500C.
Not sure if you already own the CA Alva Solo, but the Technics' built-in preamp is supposed to be quite decent.
Maybe you'd want a cartridge upgrade on either of the above.
I'm sure someone will be able recommend something to use up all of your £1200 budget.
the technics is very good compared to others for the same price, even cheaper but acurate and the most well built and it may come with a very good cartridge and stylus ,it depends of the place you buy it ,some even come with no cartridge and stylus because people just prefer to buy other, when younger i bought for my SL-1000 mkII a shure cartridge and stylus not the cheapest but one that was considered the most detailed and tried at the time several and almost bought a audio-technica but this one sounded better, the arm i don´t remenber the reference or the brand, but when in doubt ,technics it is i compared mine (79) with a project with upgraded stylus and cartridge from Sumiko (sounds good ) but this project a carbon fiber arm and minimal plinth with change it your self speed was around 1000€ plus with the sumiko cartridge and stylus 300€ more and not close to the sound quality of mine but the sumiko was fine the project was really bad and heard technicians talk really good about it so in my opinion avoid project or fluance and go for the technics if it´s this the price refered on the previous coment,it´s not supposed ,it´s really the best for the price i tested it, regards

Reactions: Gray

john13

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all Im looking to upgrade my turntable from a well used Project Essential 2.
The budget is around 1200 pounds and it will be running with Cambrdge Audio CXA60 Amp and Linn Kelidh Floor standing Speakers I also will be using the Cambridge Alva solo phono stage.
I have been looking at Rega P3 and P6 but I dont know if I should be considring anything else.
Thanks in advance.
nice turntables however i would say maybe look at elac miracord 50 & the 80 also have a look at thorens td-202 and elipson croma carbon 400

TRENDING THREADS