Tuner FM aerial connections

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
May seem a strange question but..

I have a Denon tuner with an FM aerial connector at the rear (female to receive male lead). This socket is slightly larger than a standard coax connector and so needs a slightly larger male connector than the std 75ohm connector. I believe it needs a 75-300 ohm adaptor.

However can I find a connector that fits anywhere (RS, Maplin, Farnell etc etc)..no.

Does anyone know where you can get these connectors. Must be all of about £2 each!.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
You'll probably find it's actually a male connector, needing a coax coupler like this on the end of the cable aerial downlead.

This is quite common on FM tuners.

fs22y.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I should have mentioned that the male centre pin required is thinner than a std coax male connector pin. In answer to the other question it is for a TU1800, but same applies for TU260. The std one that came with the TU260 (but I need one for TU1800) looks like a Balum connector (which you can get from Maplin..but centre pin is too large and it is std coax width and so will not fit). The old connector I have says on it '75ohm-300ohm ', but unfortunately no make.

Hope that clarifies the position a little.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
OK, on both the 260 and 1800 the FM antenna input is a standard 75ohm coax male, so needs the coupler if you have a male plug on the downlead.

The DAB antenna input on the 1800 is an F-type.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

A std male coax connector will not fit into a Denon FM tuner socket...it is too small in width with a centre pin which is too big. I will try and take pictures tonight of my Balum alongside a male coax so you can see the difference. Will send this tomorrow.

I am not worried about DAB, it is as you say std F type.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, that's what I said. The connector on the tuner is a male one.

It requires a female/female coax coupler on the end of the cable if you have a downlead with a male plug on it.

A

Anonymous

Andrew,

I might be getting my terminolgy between male and female mixed up. I do appreiciate what you are saying, but I have a raw coax lead with the no termination on it from the external aerial. I am looking for the correct size plug to go on the lead to connect it to the tuner. So it is not a question of converting a male to female (or v.v). Let me send you the pictures tomorrow and I think that will make it clear. If when you see the pictures I am being stupid then believe me I will be happy to hear the answer!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not sure why you'd need one unless you have a US-market receiver or a non-standard aerial installation, but you can buy the bit you want from Maplin here

fd78k.jpg

Just checked the TU-1800 I have here, and it takes a standard female plug, so I am baffled why yours doesn't.

A

Anonymous

It could be one of 2 things.
F connector? http://www.w-l-t.org/Pix/Coax%20w-F%20connector.jpg

Or something I don't know the name of... yet.

A

Anonymous

the TU1800 is DAB and has 2 antenna inputs one for a DAB F connector and one for 75 Ohm coax.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed: the DAB socket is an F, but the FM one is a standard coax. As I said, can't see any reason for needing that adapter unless the tuner or antenna is non-standard.

Posting pictures? Just inserting a link to the original location - in this case Maplin's site as in the link I gave.

A

Anonymous

If the OP was trying to insert 75 Ohm into F connector, the problem would be as they described.

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/index.php?Pid=230&action=start&ver=&p=ansicht&jump=#

A

Anonymous

I have seen these at Maplin but when compared it to the one I have they have a smaller outer diameter connector with a larger pin (i.e. they are a standard coax type). If you look closely you can compare the pin in the websites I supplied and you can see the one above is thicker. I guess I should just buy one to see if it will fit..but just be a bit tighter . Certainly the units on the American websites look more akin the one I have. As you say I am not sure why mine would be different (and it is the same on the old version from 15 years ago (TU260?)). Both units were bought in the UK from reputable dealers.

I have even tried to ring Denon, but the telpehone numbers given to me by HiFi dealers did not work (number not recognised) and the one number I found on the Denon website lead me to Ireland, but they could not help me (more of a dealer). Do you have any potentially useful phone numbers?

Thanks for all the time you have spent on this.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think you're getting confused because you're expecting the pin on the plug to go into the conductor at the centre of the Denon's aerial input, whereas in fact what you want is a female (socket-type) plug on your cable. On such a plug the centre conductor is in fact a sleeve, and fits over the central conductor on the connector on the rear of the tuner, while the other conductor again fits over, not into, the outer conductor of the connector on the tuner.

You don't need a 300ohm/75ohm converter - you need a female socket plug on the end of your downlead.

Please, trust me on this one - I've just tried just such a socket on the TU-1800 I have here, and it fits and works just fine. Buy yourself a female socket of the kind I have now suggested several times, which will cost you a couple of quid, and if it doesn't fit the tuner send me the bill!

A

Anonymous

I will give it a go. By chance I am going near a Maplin shop at lunctime so I will buy a 'coax line socket (ie female)' . So tomorrow I will let you know if you owe me some money!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts