Tube rolling

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

Im looking to change the standard chinese tubes in my disc player and have narrowed it down to 3 makes;

RCA 5670

WE 396A

Los Gatos 5670

Is there anyone who has any experiance with these tubes? What are the differances in sound? Has anyone got other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

MrB

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
No, in my case it was in a pre-amp, just one actually for the line stage. I think the stock tube was from a company called JJ, the dealer lend me a Mullard to try. It was better but only marginally so. They can have slightly different sounds though for sure. Mullard are very well regarded.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I've tried Tung Sol (NOS) and WE tubes. Tend to prefer the latter (higher frequencies, esp piano, seemed clearer), although different speakers may give different results - I already know the amp well enough!

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I've got 9622 tubes in my amp and CDP. originally there were JJ tubes in amp and Electro Harmonix in CDP. changed them for some cheap as dirt NOS Jan Phillips tubes. I find them more to my liking. JJ and EH were too mellow. Jan have more snap and thump.

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Balderdash said:
Mr Beachams, slightly off topic I would be interested in any info on the hand build Morel speakers.

Regards.

I will start a new thread on these and will post some pics once i sus out how to do it (any clues are welcome lol)

Mr Beachams

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Well thanks everyone for all your responces, seems to me its down to try it and see which i think is the way to go, think i will hunt down some WE's first...just hope i can get them in the UK.

willgaunt said:
I've tried Tung Sol (NOS) and WE tubes. Tend to prefer the latter (higher frequencies, esp piano, seemed clearer), although different speakers may give different results - I already know the amp well enough!

Hi Will, I know you know the amp well...... I bought it from you lol and am very happy with it :grin: ...thankyou.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts