Tube-friendly speakers

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
In the meantime I just plugged the Black Linn replacing the Clearaudio Smart wire which I had before...must say it is not bad at all...now wondering how the Silver will sound :D

The Black is a very solid, musical cable that is my default "no-brainer" for the £12 - £20 that it can be picked up for on ebay. The Silver should be a good step up, giving a similar sound, just much more detailed and punchier. I could easily live with the Silver, which is the best complement I can pay it.

In your system, you need to find where the i/c sweetspot is......the Vertere will be interesting, to say the least. It's possible that the ADS/1 warrants a better i/c than the MDS, though we'll see.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:
In the meantime I just plugged the Black Linn replacing the Clearaudio Smart wire which I had before...must say it is not bad at all...now wondering how the Silver will sound :D

The Black is a very solid, musical cable that is my default "no-brainer" for the £12 - £20 that it can be picked up for on ebay. The Silver should be a good step up, giving a similar sound, just much more detailed and punchier. I could easily live with the Silver, which is the best complement I can pay it.

In your system, you need to find where the i/c sweetspot is......the Vertere will be interesting, to say the least. It's possible that the ADS/1 warrants a better i/c than the MDS, though we'll see.

Yes, solid musical and very clear...voice is more present...like it so far ;)

What a wonderful world singed by Stacey Kent is just amazing...

Bought a 24/192 album from Naim records website (Meet me in London with Antonio Forcione and Sabina Sciubba) and the track number 4 Caruso is just thrilling...can't stop listening

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Sorry for the off topic question acalex. :)

Did you get the chance to listen to any active speakers over Christmas?

Hi Steve, not yet as all my time was taken by Xmas present. This is my mission for next week when I will be alone as my OH is going to Poland for a week...lot of demoing :)

Will keep you posted for sure!

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Well...Rob came and we had an extesnive trial of the Vertere cables and interconnect. We first made a quick tour with my set-up and the Siltech so Rob could get a taste of the Akurate...and I think he liked it this time :rofl:

We tried a few digital songs and the Tok Tok Tok vinyl which we both now quite well.

Swapped the cables with the Vertere speaker cables and interconnects. We re-played the 2-3 digital tracks and the vinyl again without exchanging any feedback in the meantime.

At the end we stopped and we realised we came to the same conslusions. Switching from Siltech to Vertere

- We lost speed: this was quite evident since the beginning for me as all the tracks we played I knew them very well

- We lost clarity and detail. It was especially evident in the acoustic track of Rolling stones "Love in vain". The typical sound of the acoustic guitar when switching chords almost disappeared in a specific point of a track.

- We lost a bit of smoothness in the trebles. It sounded (especially the voice) a bit more artificial

Overall I felt also we lost a bit of separation of instruments and a bit of sparkle...it seemed like we moved further from the stage.

Just to make sure we were not fooling ourselves we switched back to the same configuration with Siltech cables and interconnects and everything was back straight away. Speed, separation, details, smoother treble, more body in the voice...these cables are absolutely stunning I must say.

I am happy I had the opportunity to try the Verteres and I realised these Siltech make a hell of a reference at a great price point (I can have the 2.5mt at 1200 euro).

Now waiting for the Atlas and Telurium Q...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Great job.....I won't even ask if you connected them the right (wrong) way round. :shifty:

Do try and get some Cardas (Clear Light) as well, now you have the contact. I haven't heard Siltech, but from your description, it reminds me of Cardas.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Exactly

This is actualy a good test because I had the same feeling

Just managed my words a bit more,

This also mine my an my friend here are actualy looking for a sound that is not that differend in the end :cheers:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Great job.....I won't even ask if you connected them the right (wrong) way round. :shifty:

Do try and get some Cardas (Clear Light) as well, now you have the contact. I haven't heard Siltech, but from your description, it reminds me of Cardas.

I double checked the email before starting to play :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

If you want I can try to send to you a pair as a demo :rofl:

But very very dangerous :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
$1000 a cable??? You guys have to be joking - or are incredibly rich!

Makes my £5 a metre cable seem a bit humble...

And it's described as a 'great price point'! The shame is that on a level matched blind test I'd bet huge sums that axalex could not tell the difference between your cable and his.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:

Do you want to get me shot!

I await with interest to see if Siltech sees off all comers.....if it can outgun the Cardas Clear / Clear Light, you never know! :shifty:

I chose Cardas, because it was the most organic, analgue sounding that I'd heard. The Clear range is cleaner and more detailed than the Golden range, but still has that naturalness.

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

Do you want to get me shot!

I await with interest to see if Siltech sees off all comers.....if it can outgun the Cardas Clear / Clear Light, you never know! :shifty:

I chose Cardas, because it was the most organic, analgue sounding that I'd heard. The Clear range is cleaner and more detailed than the Golden range, but still has that naturalness.

I'm very couriuos but they have to be extreemly exeptional to ouplay the 330L......An to be honest I can hardly imagine......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Roby said:
I'm very couriuos but they have to be extreemly exeptional to ouplay the 330L......An to be honest I can hardly imagine......

It will indeed be an interesting battle..............I love mine and wouldn't swap them............but I haven't heard Siltech. :twisted:

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
altruistic.lemon said:

And it's described as a 'great price point'! The shame is that on a level matched blind test I'd bet huge sums that axalex could not tell the difference between your cable and his.

To be honest I am a bit fed up of all these blind and double blind tests. I can spot the difference, my friend can spot the difference, my gf (who knows nothing about hifi) can spot a difference...enough for me.

Buying cables is like buying any other piece of equipment...to achieve the perfect sinergy and result everything needs to be more or less equivalent. I think that spending 1000 euro on a 25k euro system is not an exageration. Is like you decide to get a Ferrari and then you get cheap tyres as anyway for the use we do they won't make that much of a difference.

Have you ever tested an high-end cable in a proper system? Have you ever compared a normal cable with an high-end one with an open minded not being already convinced it won't make a difference? I had. And from being a non-believer I completely changed my mind...

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Don't have the moneý mate.

I agree and respect this point of view :)

Just to clarify, I am not rich at all. I am lucky as for being 30 I have a great job (after years and years of losing sleep studying anyway), no kids to feed yet, I share the rent with my gf and found a great delaer who allows me to pay whenever I can....

I preferred to save on car or other expenses and have a nice system which gives me pleasure each time I switch it on :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Roby said:

It will indeed be an interesting battle..............I love mine and wouldn't swap them............but I haven't heard Siltech. :twisted:

:shame:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
acalex said:
BenLaw said:
altruistic.lemon said:

To be honest I am a bit fed up of all these blind and double blind tests. I can spot the difference, my friend can spot the difference, my gf (who knows nothing about hifi) can spot a difference...enough for me.

Buying cables is like buying any other piece of equipment...to achieve the perfect sinergy and result everything needs to be more or less equivalent. I think that spending 1000 euro on a 25k euro system is not an exageration. Is like you decide to get a Ferrari and then you get cheap tyres as anyway for the use we do they won't make that much of a difference.

Have you ever tested an high-end cable in a proper system? Have you ever compared a normal cable with an high-end one with an open minded not being already convinced it won't make a difference? I had. And from being a non-believer I completely changed my mind...

There's really no need to get so riled. I guess the answer to your question depends on whether you consider my setup a 'proper system', but your expression comes across as pretty snobbish.

I'd counter your question by asking if you've ever done a level matched blind test? You have a knowledgable friend who would be able to assist and you could save yourself a lot of money. But I am sure yours is the mind that is not open.

Your car / tyre analogy is poor btw.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
acalex said:
BenLaw said:
altruistic.lemon said:

There's really no need to get so riled. I guess the answer to your question depends on whether you consider my setup a 'proper system', but your expression comes across as pretty snobbish.

I'd counter your question by asking if you've ever done a level matched blind test? You have a knowledgable friend who would be able to assist and you could save yourself a lot of money. But I am sure yours is the mind that is not open.

Your car / tyre analogy is poor btw.

Not sure what you read through my post...if you read anything snobby then you didn't get it right I guess. I never judged your system (which is a great system btw) I simply asked if you ever made such a comparison. I wasn't at allr eferring to your system

And to respond to your question, I did many blind tests with my gf. I simply don't do myself as I don't like other people to touch my stuff :)

She is never aware of what I change when I ask her patiently to sit on the sofa and listen to the same track again and again and tell me which one she prefers and why...

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Then the answer to your question is yes. And my open-minded findings were that there were no differences and I consequently saved myself a lot of money. As it happens, my findings accord with all the objective tests, whereas yours do not.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Then the answer to your question is yes. And my open-minded findings were that there were no differences and I consequently saved myself a lot of money. As it happens, my findings accord with all the objective tests, whereas yours do not.

Glad to hear...good for you then as you saved money. :)

That's not my case unfortunately so I keep looking for the bast value for my money

Roby

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Comon people.....I mean don't kill the fun.

You can't say it make no difference, but is this difference worth it that's an other story....

But you can't actualy judge us on the money we are able or let me say prepared to spend on all this...

Personaly I stardet a little less than a year ago with a NAD 356 an BW 683 an to be honest in time I tought it was mad to spend that kind of money on a system an I realy tought it was for life.

I'm also in my 30's so I geuss I could count my self to the lucky ones (or maybe not) But it was not always like that.... I just worked a lot an did some inteligent move's that brought me where I'm now. So have been completly broke I know the value of money very wel I think....

So I can tell I think sometimes this is completly gone out of hand.....an it is actualy pretty mad....Then I put my system on an I don't say I forget it all an I still know it's pretty mad considering the money I spend on it all (I mean all the music I buy it's also some money) an how hard I had to work for it.

But I love what I hear an it makes me happy so I think that justify it....

You can't honestly say there is no difference if you honestly think that can mean a fiew thinks for me (don't get me wrong)

You never heard a better system than yours, The proces to spot the differend suptilty's take time an is as an education of your ears maybe you never took or wanted to take the time to do so. But than you come back to "what is it worth for you? an that's realy personal....

I mean a well balanced system 'budget' or not... can sound exceptional but than ask you self the question do you need or want somthing more? an again it's realy personal.

An I think I can say I know what I'm talking abot I mean I put up a fiew systems sinds I'm in to this for good friends. Most of the time tey end up buying a cheaper system than what they where prepare to spend, because if they want to upgrade they needed to duble the money.

I mean I spend money on this

My father it's motorcycles owning 9 of theme With everything that go's with it arround.... jackets, helmets...etc I don't say it's crazy it's just not for me. An honestly in the end he provably spend more money than me

My uncle it's cars...3 & 2 oltimers....

A friend just spend 12gran on a mountain bike

Is that all crazy? But in all cases it make them happy

So I don't buy art or motorcycles, cars....or what ever else you can Imagine

Some of us buy music an an exceptional system to play it on because it makes us happy witch is one of the most importand thinks in life

An I see my system as a beatifull peace of my furniture, I concider it art :)

I stop here

But know this your point of view interest me an I take all of what I read in cosideration....But if you have a hard time with what you read an the way me an my friend do things maybe it's better not to read it (dont get it wrong your thoughts an point of view are always more than welcome)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts