TT Advice please

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right I think it's time to buy TT

i had it mind to buy one but needed to sort out the rest of my setup first before buying a TT

i have a Yamaha amp that has MM / MC but which to use or which is the best sounding I do not have a clue

i liked the pro-Ject classic but but do not like the MDF base it has i like TTs with a sold wooden plenth and very much like retro style .

i do not mind if it's a TT from the 1970s as long as it's quality and I can put what ever cart into it if that's possible

my style of music is classic rock to metal I do have a load of vinyl but it's not been play for a long time

but I need some advice and help to get me on the right road here

Blacksabbath25 said:
Right I think it's time to buy TT

i had it mind to buy one but needed to sort out the rest of my setup first before buying a TT

i have a Yamaha amp that has MM / MC but which to use or which is the best sounding I do not have a clue

i liked the pro-Ject classic but but do not like the MDF base it has i like TTs with a sold wooden plenth and very much like retro style .

i do not mind if it's a TT from the 1970s as long as it's quality and I can put what ever cart into it if that's possible

my style of music is classic rock to metal I do have a load of vinyl but it's not been play for a long time

but I need some advice and help to get me on the right road here

Solid wooden plinths are few and far between and normally used on suspended-type turntables which are not the easiest to set up or keep set-up.

What's your budget.

Unless really aware of what you're buying I would stick with a new purchase.

Regards cartridges, I would stick with moving magnet as these tend to be cheaper and user replaceable when it comes to broken stylus.

Read some of the recent threads on here.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Budget I am not sure about because I am not how much money it will take to do this properly

i had it in mind around £1000 but I know you can spend that on a cart on its own so I am stuck on choosing a wise budget .

and because my amp has both MM / MC I am not sure which is the best one two use when looking at TTs as this will reflect my budget.

But i do not mind buying in stages so I get what's right for me so what i am saying is the TT with out a cart and then buying a very good cart later when funds are available .

I do not mind buying secondhand on a well looked after quality TT so I get more for my money but I do like the classic TTs from the 1970s I have seen reconditioned one on eBay for £400-500 but weather theses are any good I do not know .

i really am in tertiaries I have not been before only the cheap Pro Ject I had in the 1990s which was disappointing .

D

Deleted member 108165

If you're looking for wood then Analogue Works immediately came into my mind, but they're over budget. I would agree with Al that new is probably the way to go.

Just as a note ALL turntables have the ability to be immensely disappointing; they are not immune to pops/clicks and surface noise. In recent years they have not miraculously been able to negate such artefacts and maybe with more revealing systems they are actually more pronounced than ever. Cleanliness, bordering on the point of OCD, is the route to a decent sound from vinyl, but even this will not mask pressing defects.

matthewpiano

When I heard the Classic it had an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge on it (around £335), and it sounded very warm and enveloping but still with good levels of detail. I believe the Quintet Red offers more overt detail, so you may wish to hear the two to make a choice.

matthewpiano said:
When I heard the Classic it had an Ortofon Quintet Blue MC cartridge on it (around £335), and it sounded very warm and enveloping but still with good levels of detail. I believe the Quintet Red offers more overt detail, so you may wish to hear the two to make a choice.

Possibly a workable suggestion but to be honest I wouldn't recommend Moving Coil cartridges at all at this price range purely down to repair costs if you ever trash the stylus. Basically it's get a new cartridge time if that happens. OK if you're minted I suppose.

A good quality moving magnet at or around the same price is what I would recommend.

Also if you ever upgrade your amp to something that doesn't have that moving coil facility then your cartridge becomes unusable.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have no intention of changing my amp as very happy with it and needed to know I was before looking at a TT .

in regards to the cart I thought MM for a start as I am a beginner as I would hate to damage an expensive MC cart is this the right thing to do ?

Blacksabbath25 said:
I have no intention of changing my amp as very happy with it and needed to know I was before looking at a TT .

in regards to the cart I thought MM for a start as I am a beginner as I would hate to damage an expensive MC cart is this the right thing to do ?

I would think so, yes, wouldn't you?

Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes

so what would you recommend as a good Cart to start with ? I read it comes with a silver cart but it's not that great .

It normally comes fitted with an Ortofon 2M Silver which is a slightly modified 2M Red. The Red retails at about £83 so I guess the silver would be a little more.

They normally come pre-fitted for 'convenience' so not sure if the dealer would give you any discount by removing it completely. If they don't it means you would be ditching a perfectly serviceable cartridge at a loss to you unless you decided to sell it on to recoup some money.

So I'd either keep it fitted as it comes or try to get dealer to remove it and give you a bit of a discount. Firstly see if dealer is prepared to replace it with a different cartridge then let us know what he can offer in its place.

Might be nice to know what your budget will be to upgrade the Silver cartridge if you really don't want to use it.

I think a 2m bronze would be a good price compatible match with the pro-ject classic.That is if you plan on sticking with ortofon carts....they and pro-ject tables do seem to go well together,I did really like the sound of my 2m blue with the wee expression i had previous.to my 2xperience classic and at33 ptg.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes

so what would you recommend as a good Cart to start with ? I read it comes with a silver cart but it's not that great .

It normally comes fitted with an Ortofon 2M Silver which is a slightly modified 2M Red. The Red retails at about £83 so I guess the silver would be a little more.

They normally come pre-fitted for 'convenience' so not sure if the dealer would give you any discount by removing it completely. If they don't it means you would be ditching a perfectly serviceable cartridge at a loss to you unless you decided to sell it on to recoup some money.

So I'd either keep it fitted as it comes or try to get dealer to remove it and give you a bit of a discount. Firstly see if dealer is prepared to replace it with a different cartridge then let us know what he can offer in its place.

Might be nice to know what your budget will be to upgrade the Silver cartridge if you really don't want to use it.
i think for a start i would have to use what comes with it as i will be shelling out £799 for the TT its self and then upgrade the cart at a later date ..i would of thought i would not get much money off the classic anyway as its not been on the market long unless you know were i can get one cheaper *smile*

matthewpiano

In the circumstances, I'd say take the 2M Silver. The 2M Red is a pretty decent cartridge, and Silver is slightly better, so it will be more than good enough to get you going.

The non-replaceable stylus thing mentioned above is a big issue with MC carts and would put me off as I don't have the money. Some MM carts (like my Rega Elys 2) are the same and it is infuriating.

What are your thoughts regarding solid acrylic turntables? As project make a few.

roksan has a lovely one on offer at the moment too. Clearaudio also worth considering around the 1k mark .

nagaoka carts are also very good for the money.

Stick with mm carts for now, good advice.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I am really am an old school retro look fan to be honest I like wood that's why I like the TTs like the thorns and the Pro Ject classic its more my liking .

i would of been very happy with a thorns TT I like the style of them .

Blacksabbath25 said:
I am really am an old school retro look fan to be honest I like wood that's why I like the TTs like the thorns and the Pro Ject classic its more my liking .

i would of been very happy with a thorns TT I like the style of them .

Thorn was a cheap UK manufacturer, I believe, I assume you mean Thorens ( which isn't).

D

Deleted member 108165

Sabbath, get yourself a nice Classic and live with it for a little while. I believe that you're in Cambrdgeshire, if I remember correctly, when you are ready for a cartridge change just contact me here and I'll come and help you. I've invested in all the alignment gear necessary and have fitted multiple carts - wouldn't call myself a pro but have become quite proficient at dialling carts in. All I ask in return is copious cups of tea *biggrin* I live in Essex so not far.

A Classic from a friendly dealer who might bundle it with a Bronze in lieu of the Silver for about a grand would be a good choice. According to the HiFi News review the cork mat is worth getting.

Not wooden, but the Clearaudio that always gets the awards is a similar price. The Concept, I think, complete with cartridge.

I'd also recommend my Michell TecnoDec but I think it has gone up recently.

Do you have a suitable stand already?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts