Triangle BR03 - worth a punt?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I don't know if delusional is the right word. If we a take a new car for example it needs 1000 miles of gentle driving before you have full performance.
It maybe the same with speakers.
not any more. You don't have to run in an engine and you don't have to accept that a a speaker will actually improve with time. If you do its a tad sad.

Reactions: Gray

Witterings

Not sure I agree about Wharfedale. I've had two or three Wharfedales in the past and didn't get on with any of them.

Funny ... everybody's preception of what they like, I bought a pair of 9.1's as a cheap set (£58 when they were talking about discontinuing them years ago) to go with an old amp I had in my workroom / study.
I recently bought B&W 607's for a more critical listening area and one day had them playing multiroom as I kept going between the 2 areas doing some jobs / clearing it.
That experience made me sell the B&W's.

I replaced the 607's with some Elac 5.2's and I have to say I think they're way better., I would have at least tried Wharfedale the 12.2's (because of my experience with the 9.1's) if I had the depth but unfortunately didn't.

I don't know if delusional is the right word. If we a take a new car for example it needs 1000 miles of gentle driving before you have full performance.
I remember reading n a car magazine that the way to get the most performance from a car was to thrash it from day one - but to also expect it to go bang early on - running in is more to do with mechanical sympathy, a bit like not revving to high until the oil etc is up to temperature. But we digress.

D

Deleted member 195594

I remember reading n a car magazine that the way to get the most performance from a car was to thrash it from day one - but to also expect it to go bang early on - running in is more to do with mechanical sympathy, a bit like not revving to high until the oil etc is up to temperature. But we digress.

The same with new speakers; if you take a brand new pair of speakers, fresh out of the box, plug them in and crank them up to volume - "stupid", you're asking for trouble

robdmarsh

I don't know the reasons for it but I would agree that full tilt out of the box is not a good idea. I'm having the bizarrest experience with these Sonus Faber Lumina 2. A couple of days ago I was convinced they were damaged in some way, they sounded crunchy and weird in the higher frequency range and one speaker was worse than the other. It's like the speakers were going through a bit of a tantrum (like my 3 year old nephew) and then suddenly the crying stops and the sun comes out and all is right with the world.

They've now settled down are sounding pretty good. One is a bit cautious of reporting things like this on this forum as there are plenty here who would say it's all in the imagination but when you've heard it, you know you're not hallucinating. These are indeed pretty good speakers, I'll be doing a full review soon.

Dom

We are told to believe that break in is real (So you're not being delusional), this guy probably has a wife, kids a car and a house and goes to work no problem making the right decisions 99% of the time and also thinks the Special 40's got better after a time, and we call him a nut job?
I remember reading my Maurdant-Short manual saying the speakers should face each other out of phase for some time (I forget how long) to loosen the drivers to get full performance/Better sound?

Even Maurdant-Short are at it, are they delusional as well?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 195594

We are told to believe that break in is real (So you're not being delusional), this guy probably has a wife, kids a car and a house and goes to work no problem making the right decisions 99% of the time and also thinks the Special 40's got better after a time, and we call him a nut job?
I remember reading my Maurdant-Short manual saying the speakers should face each other out of phase for some time (I forget how long) to loosen the drivers to get full performance/Better sound?

Even Maurdant-Short are at it, are they delusional as well?
I'm not a car guy, so I won't use car analogies but, from playing guitar, especially acoustic, and re-stringing with a brand new set, they take a little while to settle down. I was quite an aggressive player, and with a new set, they would go out of tune again really quickly. After some hours of playing, they would reach a kind of equilibrium and only require minor tuning adjustments.

I imagine some kind of material equilibrium following being put under mechanical stress is observable in many instances.
I'm not sure why this seen as some kind of hocum when transposed to the moving/mechanical components of speakers?

Reactions: rainsoothe
I'm not a car guy, so I won't use car analogies but, from playing guitar, especially acoustic, and re-stringing with a brand new set, they take a little while to settle down. I was quite an aggressive player, and with a new set, they would go out of tune again really quickly. After some hours of playing, they would reach a kind of equilibrium and only require minor tuning adjustments.

I imagine some kind of material equilibrium following being put under mechanical stress is observable in many instances.
I'm not sure why this seen as some kind of hocum when transposed to the moving/mechanical components of speakers?
My belief is anything with physical moving parts need a period of run-in. Speakers, turntables etc etc.... components such as cables, amplifiers is more about adjusting to the different presentations.

Using a car analogy, you don't run in wiring looms, headlights.... only the engine and brakes.

Reactions: WayneKerr
D

Deleted member 195594

Really? That is very interesting because I keep hearing how bright they are. Or perhaps you mean they ARE bright but not in an annoying way?
I sold the BR03's on about 5 or 6 weeks ago and bought the Comete's, so don't have them anymore. Seems a distant memory now 🤔😊

rainsoothe

My belief is anything with physical moving parts need a period of run-in. Speakers, turntables etc etc.... components such as cables, amplifiers is more about adjusting to the different presentations.

Using a car analogy, you don't run in wiring looms, headlights.... only the engine and brakes.
Don't capacitors have chemicals in them and afaik chemicals are sensitive to temperatures, which can change their performance etc etc? I don know what's responsible for my components running in, but I can say for sure that it wasn't my ears adjusting to bass rumble in my room, but it disappearing after some weeks. There was distortion, and now there is not. Well, noticeably less of it anyway.

Don't capacitors have chemicals in them and afaik chemicals are sensitive to temperatures, which can change their performance etc etc? I don know what's responsible for my components running in, but I can say for sure that it wasn't my ears adjusting to bass rumble in my room, but it disappearing after some weeks. There was distortion, and now there is not. Well, noticeably less of it anyway.
For me it's safer to be gentle with any physical moving part for the first week at least.
A car has chemicals, but they don't tell you to run in the petrol/diesel or engine oil, do they?

Each individual can treat their hi-fi components in whatever way they like. My view is of the 'slowly, slowly catchy monkey' camp. Not with amps, CDPs or to lesser extent turntables.

D

Deleted member 195594

they think they sound for budget speakers. One of those reviewers, can't remember which, tried them with a higher end amp and said the results were very pleasing so give it a go I'd say.

Hi, thanks for the reply; the BR03's have come, and gone again. They were really really good for the money, but they only served as an insight in to what Triangle are doing with their speakers.

I later bought the Comete 40th Anniversary model off the back of how good the BR03's were, and also on the high praise another forum member @robdmarsh who owns their Titus speakers, had for his Triangle's.

Very happy with the Comete's by the way 👍

Reactions: Al ears

treesey

For me it's safer to be gentle with any physical moving part for the first week at least.
A car has chemicals, but they don't tell you to run in the petrol/diesel or engine oil, do they?

Well yes they do, depending on the car. Example - the older Impreza Turbo used engine oil to cool the turbo, so Subaru told you to let the car idle for a minute or so if (say) you came off a motorway to get petrol.... otherwise when switched off HOT the non-circulating oil sitting in the turbo at that moment would get cooked.

Now that's digressing.

And anything that is a series of metal parts that rub together needs running-in - are these car manufacturers the same ones that say engine-oil lasts for two years? Well of course they can, as by the time the problems appear, the car is out of warranty. Oh except they've all gone back to one-year oil-service period now.... funny that.

chris58

Nov 3, 2021
Visit site
I really like these speakers. They replaced Monitor Audio Bronze (fine speakers) and the Triangle are so much more entertaining. I am sure that it is possible to find more dynamic speakers, but the Borea 03 are just what budget speakers should be: fun. You can listen to the music for hours without any fatigue. They are very transparent, and I have discovered small faults in a few recordings. The most surprising is how the sounds travels through the room, and beyond. I never had speakers doing that - at limited volume, they sound clear wherever you are in the room, and even from an adjacent room (probably because the medium and highs are very good). Placement is super easy. A few negative notes: there is a slight coloration with the medium (on the Monitor Audio, it was the treble!) - it is subtle but it is there, nearly vintage sounding if that makes sense. Also they are quite big for bookshelf speakers but they don't have more bass that the smaller Monitor Audio. However, as the bass is controlled, not muffled or overpowering, it's a minor fault I think.

D

Deleted member 195594

I really like these speakers. They replaced Monitor Audio Bronze (fine speakers) and the Triangle are so much more entertaining. I am sure that it is possible to find more dynamic speakers, but the Borea 03 are just what budget speakers should be: fun. You can listen to the music for hours without any fatigue. They are very transparent, and I have discovered small faults in a few recordings. The most surprising is how the sounds travels through the room, and beyond. I never had speakers doing that - at limited volume, they sound clear wherever you are in the room, and even from an adjacent room (probably because the medium and highs are very good). Placement is super easy. A few negative notes: there is a slight coloration with the medium (on the Monitor Audio, it was the treble!) - it is subtle but it is there, nearly vintage sounding if that makes sense. Also they are quite big for bookshelf speakers but they don't have more bass that the smaller Monitor Audio. However, as the bass is controlled, not muffled or overpowering, it's a minor fault I think.

I think you've hit the nail on the head; the BR03's are really a lot of fun, easy to be around. And, at the price of them, a really good buy for the quality you get.

robdmarsh

I am sure that it is possible to find more dynamic speakers, but the Borea 03 are just what budget speakers should be: fun.
I have the Esprit Titus EZ and what your said about the BR03 very much applies to the Titus but what the latter also has is buckets of refinement and a sweetness to the sound that still amaze me after over a year of ownership. God knows how good the Comete 40th anniversary sound! Another plus for me about the Titus is they are pretty small, about the same size as the BR02, an advantage when you can't place them too far into the room. Bass punch, however, does not disappoint. I've never felt the need for a sub with music and I'm not really a home theatre nut.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts