Triangle BR03 - worth a punt?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 195594

Well, I've heard a few bookshelf speakers around and beyond the price of the Titus and none have bettered or even equaled them, for my tastes. As you know, I trialed some Dynaudio Emit 20 here in my system; not in the same league in tonality or higher frequencies. I heard Dali Opticon 2 mk ii the other day...very meh! And then in Richer Sounds a pair of Dali Rubicon 2 on the end of Arcam sa20, which I was vaguely considering as an amp upgrade. Neither the speakers or the amp sounded as good as what I have at home, but there could be a few reasons for this: Bluesound Node and Spotify was being used, I think over bluetooth. Now I don't really like the Node at the best of times, but I think the bluetooth implementation on it is not not very good (to say the least). Then the guy who was demonstrating your amp to me was using Quad S5, large floor-standing speakers. I was not impressed with what I heard but he was using a low grade blueray player as a source, bizarre.

A word about whether they are bass shy or not: they are not bass monsters, far from it, that is not the sound I'm looking for, but the bass they produce with the Denon amp is punchy and well-integrated, and as you have a sub, well you should have nothing to worry about.
Thanks Rob,

Yeah, the words, bluetooth, Spotify, and Bluesound Node make me want to weep when used in conjunction. I use my Node wired with an optical "firebreak", and my Node has a PSU mod + external power supply. It's not the last word in hifi excellence but is a different proposition from what you've described above 😜 and from the vanilla Node.

But yeah, I'm really interested in the Titus. I'm still Intrigued with the Sonus Faber Lumina II as well, but if the BR03’S are representative of Triangle, I'm seriously interested. The trouble is I can't audition anywhere near me so it will be a blind/deaf buy. I'll have to do some more digging/research I think. But knowing me, I'll have a few beers, and bite the bullet on one of them. 🙏

Thanks for your insights Rob, much appreciated 👍

D

Deleted member 195594

I forgot ask you; do you have your Titus toed-in, or firing straight down your room. I only ask, as I've been playing with positioning with the BR03’S, and they are definitely most satisfying while firing straight, with no toe-in at all?

robdmarsh

My room is far from ideal as a listening room, and the speakers are about 3 metres apart. The acoustics of the room on the other hand are not bad and I have the speakers toed in a little to my listening position. The Sonus Faber Lumina ii look like lovely speakers and from what I've heard of their characteristics, I think I would enjoy them. I'm sure there are plenty of great speakers out there.... nobody's heard all of them, it's a matter of giving them a fair hearing, and this where the fun is. Btw, just one more thing.... Here on this site there is a review of the Cometes, where they give them 4 stars and call them "lively". They're about 8 years late to the party and their summary of these speakers is very lazy imo - if they are anything like the Titus, and they should be, yes they are lively, but they have plenty more talents up their sleeve than what is mentioned in the review.:wink:

D

Deleted member 195594

My room is far from ideal as a listening room, and the speakers are about 3 metres apart. The acoustics of the room on the other hand are not bad and I have the speakers toed in a little to my listening position. The Sonus Faber Lumina ii look like lovely speakers and from what I've heard of their characteristics, I think I would enjoy them. I'm sure there are plenty of great speakers out there.... nobody's heard all of them, it's a matter of giving them a fair hearing, and this where the fun is. Btw, just one more thing.... Here on this site there is a review of the Cometes, where they give them 4 stars and call them "lively". They're about 8 years late to the party and their summary of these speakers is very lazy imo - if they are anything like the Titus, and they should be, yes they are lively, but they have plenty more talents up their sleeve than what is mentioned in the review.:wink:

I plugged my Concept 40's back in this afternoon, and removed the BR03’s; disappointed doesn't come close. Flat would be the first word that comes to mind.

Bass response compared to the BR03’S is just not comparable, the Triangles are superior in extension and articulation. Mids and treble sound recessed and uninvolving in comparison.

I'm selling both and considering one of;

Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary
Sonus Faber Lumina II
ATC SMC 11

The only speaker I can audition is the ATC, but I'm going to do some more research.

At the moment, I'm swaying Comete 40th.i know I said I wouldn't, but the bass I believe as not as pronounced as the BR03’S

I plugged my Concept 40's back in this afternoon, and removed the BR03’s; disappointed doesn't come close. Flat would be the first word that comes to mind.

Bass response compared to the BR03’S is just not comparable, the Triangles are superior in extension and articulation. Mids and treble sound recessed and uninvolving in comparison.

I'm selling both and considering one of;

Triangle Comete 40th Anniversary
Sonus Faber Lumina II
ATC SMC 11

The only speaker I can audition is the ATC, but I'm going to do some more research.

At the moment, I'm swaying Comete 40th.i know I said I wouldn't, but the bass I believe as not as pronounced as the BR03’S
It doesnt surprise me. I've not heard your concepts but heard so many good things.

I would also add to your list Dali Rubicon 2. I was quite frankly blown away.

D

Deleted member 195594

It doesnt surprise me. I've not heard your concepts but heard so many good things.

I would also add to your list Dali Rubicon 2. I was quite frankly blown away.
Thanks @plastic penguin, I hadn't considered Dali, even after reading your thread on your search for your next speaker. I think, without checking, my local Richer Sounds in Liverpool may stock them. I'll dig around and research them. Another for the list.

On the C40's, i find it interesting that a speaker I liked, can sound underwhelming after experiencing something else, especially a speaker aimed at budget, such as the BR03’s. I'm not sure whether that speaks volumes about the qualities of Triangle (BR03'S specifically) , or shortcomings of the C40's.

At the end of the day though its about personal preference of voicing, tonality and tuning of the speaker.

My preferences have definitely changed over the last year or so; back last summer when I restarted HiFi, I wanted a warmish, smooth presentation ; now I want more presence, air, and an up front and personal, more forward presentation.

It may have something to do with my 53 year old hearing after years of live gigs, attending and working them.

It's enjoyable all the same, I'm enjoying experimenting, trial and error

Thanks @plastic penguin, I hadn't considered Dali, even after reading your thread on your search for your next speaker. I think, without checking, my local Richer Sounds in Liverpool may stock them. I'll dig around and research them. Another for the list.

On the C40's, i find it interesting that a speaker I liked, can sound underwhelming after experiencing something else, especially a speaker aimed at budget, such as the BR03’s. I'm not sure whether that speaks volumes about the qualities of Triangle (BR03'S specifically) , or shortcomings of the C40's.

At the end of the day though its about personal preference of voicing, tonality and tuning of the speaker.

My preferences have definitely changed over the last year or so; back last summer when I restarted HiFi, I wanted a warmish, smooth presentation ; now I want more presence, air, and an up front and personal, more forward presentation.

It may have something to do with my 53 year old hearing after years of live gigs, attending and working them.

It's enjoyable all the same, I'm enjoying experimenting, trial and error
IMO these days you'll be unlucky to find a "bad" component. As you correctly pointed out it's more about personal taste and how that fits into your system.

With these Dalis they tick pretty much all the sonic boxes: good insight, subtlety, beautifully defined bass, great detail.... yet they are tonally right for my amp. Not bright but lively and natural.

robdmarsh

Well yes, there is a guy on Youtube, "small room audio" is more or less the channel name, who says the bass on Comete 40th is almost non-existent but I find this very hard to believe. My Triangle Titus shares much of the same DNA as this speaker and the bass on the Titus is not extended but articulate, rhythmical and well-integrated, and these are 31 cm high and 26cm deep!

The Lumina 2s are a speaker I'd love to hear. I'm kind of tempted to get some and a do a review as I did with the Dynaudio Emit 20.

D

Deleted member 195594

Well yes, there is a guy on Youtube, "small room audio" is more or less the channel name, who says the bass on Comete 40th is almost non-existent but I find this very hard to believe. My Triangle Titus shares much of the same DNA as this speaker and the bass on the Titus is not extended but articulate, rhythmical and well-integrated, and these are 31 cm high and 26cm deep!

The Lumina 2s are a speaker I'd love to hear. I'm kind of tempted to get some and a do a review as I did with the Dynaudio Emit 20.
I think I saw that video yesterday; I found it hard to believe also, but even if accurate, it wouldn't be a put-off if the bass on the BR03’S are anything to go by. I think a similar criticism was made of these, but I heard no such issues. It's obviously room/gear dependent, but I didn't feel I needed my REL with the BR03’S and just switched it off.
If the bass on the Comete 40th is lacking, that would be fine with me, it's the mids and treble that draws me to them; if it is that severely lacking, I'd supplement with the REL.

Speaking of which, after switching back to the Concept 40's, the bass definitely does sound lacking compared to the BR03’s.

I was so impressed with the BR03’S, I've found it difficult to listen to the Concept 40's since. I took the BR03’S down and re-packed to sell so I am now definitely actively pondering which speaker next.

I can't audition any time soon, what with work, plus we have 2 rescue dogs coming to us over the next 2 weekends that need to be settled in and acclimatised with our other 2, so it will have to be a non-auditioned buy 🙄🤔

D

Deleted member 195594

After some deliberation, taking into account I can't audition at dealers, I decided to hit the button on the Comete 40th Anniversary.
As in my previous post, I thought the BR03’s were terrific for the money; just a little smooth and lacking a bit of clarity in those upper mids/lower treble, but the way they present I found really addictive, to the point that I haven't felt the urge to listen to my Concept 40's since taking the BR03’S down to sell.

@robdmarsh I feel the same way about the Lumina 2, but Triangle have really turned my head. I feel that horn loaded tweeter in the Comete will add what was lacking in the BR03’s but still have what seems to be that innate Triangle presentation. (from YT soundclips through my Sonos speaker set up, this does seem to be the case, although of courseit's impossible to tell definitively from YT). Online reviews do also seem to point to this.

Anyway, the Comete's arrive Monday, although I probably won't get much of a chance to spend time with them other than to place on stands, plug them in and let them do their thing while I work and settle in the new pooch we collect tomorrow.

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 195594

girl2_1_orig.jpg
This little girl comes to us next Saturday from Spain - mum and litter abandoned by a local hunter. The picture is from when she was about 6 weeks old, she's 15 weeks now, and a lot bigger. Been waiting for her to get the rabies jab and be old enough to travel

Reactions: 12th Monkey

robdmarsh

I love dogs, too, but I don't have one. Perhaps that will change.

Anyway, further to the SF Lumina 2 question I've got a pair I'm trying out. To cut to the chase, I think they may be damaged. I've had them playing for about 10 hours and tbh they sound ruddy awful. I thought maybe this was just their bedding in sound or whatever but then on closer inspection there is a definite distortion going on in the right speaker in the upper-mids. In some tracks it's a lot more noticeable than others. Weekend so they're not picking up the phone as they're an online retailer only. Let's see what Monday brings.

D

Deleted member 195594

I love dogs, too, but I don't have one. Perhaps that will change.

Anyway, further to the SF Lumina 2 question I've got a pair I'm trying out. To cut to the chase, I think they may be damaged. I've had them playing for about 10 hours and tbh they sound ruddy awful. I thought maybe this was just their bedding in sound or whatever but then on closer inspection there is a definite distortion going on in the right speaker in the upper-mids. In some tracks it's a lot more noticeable than others. Weekend so they're not picking up the phone as they're an online retailer only. Let's see what Monday brings.
That's so annoying. Are you going to request another pair?

D

Deleted member 195594

Ooh, I bet you're excited and you should be. I think even if these Luminas were behaving right I still wouldn't be a fan.
Definitely excited 👍.

Did you feel you could tell despite the fault that the Lumina's are not for you? Will you stick with the Titus?

robdmarsh

Definitely excited 👍.

Did you feel you could tell despite the fault that the Lumina's are not for you? Will you stick with the Titus?
I think the answer to that would be that they are not on the same level as the Titus. Some guy is telling me that it took 300 hours to get his Dynaudio Special 40s to sound, well...... "special". :rolleyes:

My Triangles sounded pretty good right out of the gate, but they were an open box return so maybe someone had run them in.

Reactions: Al ears
I think the answer to that would be that they are not on the same level as the Titus. Some guy is telling me that it took 300 hours to get his Dynaudio Special 40s to sound, well...... "special". :rolleyes:

My Triangles sounded pretty good right out of the gate, but they were an open box return so maybe someone had run them in.
anyone who suggests a speaker might take that long to appear 'special ' is clearly delusional or perhaps 'special '
If it doesn't feel right from day one then don't buy it.

D

Deleted member 195594

I agree; the general character of a speaker should be there from the get go. It just maybe a little "rough around the edges" straight out of the box, while the moving parts loosen up.

Dom

I don't know if delusional is the right word. If we a take a new car for example it needs 1000 miles of gentle driving before you have full performance.
It maybe the same with speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts