Traditional Speakers to match Yamaha 863SE

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’m busy researching putting together a home cinema system and I’m seriously considering the Yamaha 863SE.

As it can be quiet challenging to get a shop to set up a system for you to demo, it might be a good to know what matches well with this receiver so you demo the correct traditional speakers to suit.

I know that some speaks are considered a little “lean” and thus shouldn’t be paired with bright kit, what would the Yamaha be considered as? (I know that Onkyo tends to be bright and Denon the opposite).

Before anyone goes straight for the B&W 685, the misses doesn’t like the look of these and nor the Tannoy’s, though she loves the KEF iQ5SE and will accept the Monitor Audio BR5 into the living room (she’s fussy when it comes to home décor)

So, basically I’m looking for a set of traditional speakers that will both suit this system and still look good, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SouthFly:
I'm busy researching putting together a home cinema system and I'm seriously considering the Yamaha 863SE.

As it can be quiet challenging to get a shop to set up a system for you to demo, it might be a good to know what matches well with this receiver so you demo the correct traditional speakers to suit.

I know that some speaks are considered a little "lean" and thus shouldn't be paired with bright kit, what would the Yamaha be considered as? (I know that Onkyo tends to be bright and Denon the opposite).

Before anyone goes straight for the B&W 685, the misses doesn't like the look of these and nor the Tannoy's, though she loves the KEF iQ5SE and will accept the Monitor Audio BR5 into the living room (she's fussy when it comes to home d‚cor)

So, basically I'm looking for a set of traditional speakers that will both suit this system and still look good, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I thought that about the B&Ws but when I actually saw them in the flesh (as I was paying for my RS6s), I changed my mind - very nice looking.

How much do you have to spend?

A

Anonymous

I would prefer to spend up to a max of about 1300 quid though I'm willing to considering anything upto that price.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SouthFly:I would prefer to spend up to a max of about 1300 quid though I'm willing to considering anything upto that price.

Have you thought about making your money work a bit.

Below is a great deal for the Monitor Audio R90 AV12. If you wanted floorstanders, you could sell the front three speakers (a pair of R90s and the R225) and then buy the BR5s and the matching centre speaker. The RSW12 that comes with the package costs £750 on it's own and you could sell the three speakers I've mentioned for about £350. The sub is out of this world.

Or spend a bit more and get RS6s and RSLCR and you would have the same system as mine - it really is great. The R90s have brackets for wall mounting and they are very nice looking mini traditional looking speakers. If you had the space, you could just buy some floorstanders and have a 7.1 system.

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/monitor_audio_r90_av-12.shtml

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the link and you make a very interesting point, though would there be any loss in cohesion between the front and rear by swapping out the front and centre speakers with a BR5 with matching centre?

I would have thought that it's also best to keep speakers in the same series, that way the drivers are of similar technology and have similar acoustic properties, though I may be wrong in this assumption.

The reasoning behind me considering traditional speakers is that I enjoy listening to music on occasion and this is also the reasoning behind considering the Yamaha 863SE. Any opinion as to what type of speakers suit the Yamaha, or what doesn't work with this receiver (eg. Avoid bright/lean speakers etc)

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I just set up the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE at home this weekend with my Monitor Audio Radius R270 AV12 speaker package, and it sounds fantastic. Check out details of the speakers here and our review here.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SouthFly:
Thanks for the link and you make a very interesting point, though would there be any loss in cohesion between the front and rear by swapping out the front and centre speakers with a BR5 with matching centre?

I would have thought that it's also best to keep speakers in the same series, that way the drivers are of similar technology and have similar acoustic properties, though I may be wrong in this assumption.

The reasoning behind me considering traditional speakers is that I enjoy listening to music on occasion and this is also the reasoning behind considering the Yamaha 863SE. Any opinion as to what type of speakers suit the Yamaha, or what doesn't work with this receiver (eg. Avoid bright/lean speakers etc)

As long as the front three are of the same series, the rears are far less important. The fact that they are all Monitor Audio is another bonus. At the end of the day the RSW12 is a machine and you could have a serious system by adding the BR5s and the BRLCR. I've looked on ebay and you could comfortably get £175 for the R225 and the same for the R90s. This would mean that your rear speakers and RSW12 would cost £650 instead of the £1000 they retail for separately.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Andy Clough:I just set up the Yamaha DSP-AX863SE at home this weekend with my Monitor Audio Radius R270 AV12 speaker package, and it sounds fantastic. Check out details of the speakers here and our review here.

I see what you mean Andy. OP could sell the two R90s and buy a pair of R270s and have your system. Or just buy a pair of the R270s and have a 7.1. How are the R270s with music Andy?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
KEF's iQ5 sound very good when partnered with Yamaha, I have the iQ9's paired with Yamhma RXV 2500
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info

Can anyone comment on pairing teh receiver with Monitor Audio bronze speakers?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info, I think I will audition the Monitor Audio BR5 AV (with BR1 rear speakers) and the KEF iQ50 AV (may go for a Wharfedale SW250 sub though) with the amp and make a decision from there.

A

Anonymous

The MA RS6AV package takes some beating in looks, value and sound.

Think they look neater as floor standers than smaller speakers on stands. Real wood veneer as well, a classy piece of furniture that should please the Mrs!

A

Anonymous

Yes I would also prefer the iQ5SE but there are few stores that still have any in stock, the other problem is trying to get the front, rear and center speaker all in the same finish in the old range.

Currently I'm in Madagascar on business till the end of the year before heading back to Edinburgh so I'm sure what iQ5SE's are left will probably already be sold :(

A

Anonymous

trevor79:The MA RS6AV package takes some beating in looks, value and sound.

They are very nice but would have to steal the additional cash from somewhere

A

Anonymous

You can try matching Tha Yamaha 863 with the Award Winning B&W 685 package.

A

Anonymous

seakingadvice:You can try matching Tha Yamaha 863 with the Award Winning B&W 685 package.

Yes, but they need 4 speaker stands to go with them. So cost wise they will be in the B&W MT-30
price range. Worth sitting down and having a listen to both systems.

Re the RS6's you might be able to swing a deal and get them down to a similar price level. I bought my kit off Wilkinsons Hi Fi (875, RS8's AV with £250 of QED SA) for only £2400, and that was when the 875 was £1000!

They are Yamaha main dealers (and repair agents) as well and do mail order. They beat everone elses prices by a healthy amount.

TRENDING THREADS