Toy Story 1 blu ray

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

Just defering the competition if my other deal does not come of if you know what i mean
emotion-5.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

It's still a hot deal if you just want one know
emotion-1.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
the_lhc:

gel:It's still a hot deal if you just want one know
emotion-1.gif

WHY ARE YOU USING THE WORD "KNOW" IN THAT SENTENCE? IT HAS NO PLACE OR MEANING THERE!!!!!

Now I think you know that he knows now is not time to ask if he knows the correct place to use know or now now.

No?

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:

gel:It's still a hot deal if you just want one know
emotion-1.gif

WHY ARE YOU USING THE WORD "KNOW" IN THAT SENTENCE? IT HAS NO PLACE OR MEANING THERE!!!!!

Slap on some PWEI and chill. It's no good shouting, after all where there is no sense there is no feeling.

A

Anonymous

I've only got the cd single. I did see them a few times on the amalgamation tour. They had quite a varied bunch of support acts.

I was meaning that gel has no sense no you The_l. In a jovial way.

A

Anonymous

I'm under the impression The_l is a massive PWEI fan. Anyway it's as good a music as any to listen of a Friday afternoon.

A

Anonymous

NSYGrinner:I'm under the impression The_l is a massive PWEI fan. Anyway it's as good a music as any to listen of a Friday afternoon.whos the _l ?? u mean the _lhc ?? i wouldnt have thought he would be a pwei fan myself , maybe im wrong ..
emotion-3.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:NSYGrinner:I'm under the impression The_l is a massive PWEI fan. Anyway it's as good a music as any to listen of a Friday afternoon.whos the _l ?? u mean the _lhc ?? i wouldnt have thought he would be a pwei fan myself , maybe im wrong ..
emotion-3.gif

Who me? A PWEI fan? Oh, only about the biggest in the world (I mean in my fan-like adoration, not that I'm really fat or anything. I'm slightly overweight but nothing that would cause a doctor any sleepless nights. Anyway...).

I've got pretty much everything they ever released, which includes almost as many t-shirts as records.

What makes you think I wouldn't be a fan?

A

Anonymous

I was going to add in my initial comment along with chill out. The Karmadrome is in us all.

My wife will still stand by the statement that I'm usually in the wrong though.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:
maxflinn:NSYGrinner:I'm under the impression The_l is a massive PWEI fan. Anyway it's as good a music as any to listen of a Friday afternoon.whos the _l ?? u mean the _lhc ?? i wouldnt have thought he would be a pwei fan myself , maybe im wrong ..
emotion-3.gif

Who me? A PWEI fan? Oh, only about the biggest in the world (I mean in my fan-like adoration, not that I'm really fat or anything. I'm slightly overweight but nothing that would cause a doctor any sleepless nights. Anyway...).

I've got pretty much everything they ever released, which includes almost as many t-shirts as records.

hmmm , ive never heard of them myself , after a quick google , i seen that "pop" was in the name , i thought they were a pop band , i didnt think you would be into pop music , i honestly dont know why (please note appropriate use of the word know
emotion-11.gif
) i thought that , but i did , so are they a pop band ?? do you have posters of them on your bedroom wall
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
NSYGrinner:I was going to add in my initial comment along with chill out. The Karmadrome is in us all.

Tut. The Karmadrome's INSIDE us all...

My wife will still stand by the statement that I'm usually in the wrong though.
emotion-1.gif

You're my wife now...

D

Deleted member 2457

the_lhc:This thread is in serious danger of becoming remotely interesting, in which case I might end up being grateful to gel that he started it and I couldn't be doing with that...

I'm of the opposite view myself, all this pop talk is doing my head in
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:the_lhc:maxflinn:? u mean the _lhc ?? i wouldnt have thought he would be a pwei fan myself , maybe im wrong ..
emotion-3.gif

Who me? A PWEI fan? Oh, only about the biggest in the world

hmmm , ive never heard of them myself , after a quick google , i seen that "pop" was in the name , i thought they were a pop band , i didnt think you would be into pop music , i honestly dont know why (please note appropriate use of the word know
emotion-11.gif
) i thought that , but i did , so are they a pop band ?? do you have posters of them on your bedroom wall
emotion-4.gif

No, not a pop band, the name comes from a book from the early 80s called Will Pop Eat Itself? I believe the premise was that pop music was starting to become repetitive and retrospective and would ultimately disappear up it's own ar^H^H^H, you get the idea.

Pop Will Eat Itself was the perfect name for the band really, following their initially unreleased first album, a not hugely successful stab at early guitar indie music, they discovered drum machines and sampling and coupled with a clear love of early Hip-Hop, they somehow cobbled together their first "real" album, Box Frenzy, a raw, almost hollow sounding collection of sampled TV, music and cinema which reached back as far as the 50's, right up to present day (1987) influences (if you could call Mel and Kim an influence), like a scavenging cyborg whatever they needed to complete a track, they lifted from popular culture and created a completely different beast from it.

Box Frenzy wasn't perfect, far from it, with its demo-feeling sound, heavily accented pseudo-rapping and light, jokey feel, it was still enough of an underground success to see the boys signed by a big label, RCA (unbelievably!), a move which allowed them to bring in a proper producer, Flood. The album that followed, "This is The Day, This is The Hour, This is This." was a quantum leap forward, tracks had depth, proper instrumentation (stun guitar!), the sampling became both heavier and yet subtler, years later I'm still discovering that parts of tracks I believed were original are actually sampled from somewhere else, the twin vocals of Clint Mansell (you may know him) and Graham Crabb became more serious, better executed, the humour still remained in some tracks (Can U Dig It? and Def Con 1, notably) but there was now a darker, more political edge, nothing really overt about the politics, that came later but the combination of (very) metal guitars, samples, biting lyrics and just damn fine tunes attracted a much larger audience than previously, including myself, I was 15 and hooked instantly and it's no exaggeration to say that I didn't listen to anyone else for over 4 years, how could I, This is the Day was the first album I ever bought and it blew my head off, all music should be like this, I thought, so nothing else could possibly measure up.

It also saw the introduction of The Designer's Republic on sleeve art duty, a collaboration that continued right up until the band split in 1996 and beyond, this gave a coherent yet evolving look to the band, encompassing dozen of t-shirts, skater short, coats, etc, all without them having to appear in person at all, I can't think of another group that's elevated (gah, bad word, need another one!) their art work to the same level of success, except possibly the Pet Shop Boys.

When the 3rd album, Cure for Sanity, was announced, fans expected more of the same. They nearly got it but in a move seemingly almost designed to annoy the metal fans that had been attracted by the heavy guitars, the band dropped them completely. The sampling and the rapping, increasingly political now, was still there but the guitars were replaced almost exclusively by synthesizers and overall a more ambient tone. Not as instantly accessible as This, and without the instant recognition of tracks like Can U Dig It? and Def Con 1, Cure for Sanity did however give the band their biggest hit to date, X, Y and Zee, which reached number 13 (I think, probably due to the three beautiful remixes on the 12"), along with their first and only appearance on Top of the Pops (they also had a video featured in a Beavis and Butthead episode. The boys weren't impressed).

If success now seemed just around the corner, it wasn't. RCA funded one more more album, The Looks or the Lifestyle, which saw a return of the guitars, albeit not as heavy as before and also saw the band recruit a live drummer for the first time since their very earliest incarnation (Fuzz Townsend, now a journo with Practical Classics magazine!). The samples remained, for now, but the album didn't really break any new ground and RCA eventually pulled the plug (although they'd continue to try to squeeze whatever they could from the Poppies, with a live album, and a compilation that really wasn't going to attract anyone at all, fans already had everything on there, non-fans had no idea who they were).

This wasn't the end, as the band quickly signed with Infectious (and Trent Reznor's Nothing label in the US) and released what, for some, is their best album, Dos Dedos Mi Amigos. The sampling was drastically cut back, no doubt due to ever increasing litigation from record companies requiring every sample to be registered and paid for, the guitars hit home with full force and the lyrics became bile-laden and venomously political, railing against football hooliganism, fascism, the government (this was still Thatcher's Britain remember) and even the Royal Family, the humour that marked out earlier works was largely gone but it was replaced by what is certainly the strongest album musically.

But it couldn't last, the differing influences within the band that had combined so successfully in the past had now diverged so far that it was impossible for things to hold together, Graham Crabb left, releasing an album of ambient techno under the moniker of Golden Claw musics, the band attempted to continue without him, with a track on the Gary Numan tribute album Random (Friends, horrible) and a demo on a Future Music cover CD but it wasn't to be. Richard formed Bentley Rhythm Ace, catching the wave of the Big Beat surge (which also saw the rise of one Fatboy Slim), briefly threatening to eclipse the success of PWEI, whilst Clint Mansell went west, to Hollywood, scoring a small indie film called Pi, this was well received and in seemingly no space of time at all, has now established himself as one of the most sought after soundtrack composers, having scored such varying fayre as Requiem for a Dream, Sahara, Doom, Smokin' Aces, The Wrestler and lately, Moon.

The band reformed for a series of gigs in 2005 and following that it seemed that further tracks would be forthcoming, but Mansell's Hollywood commitments ultimately prevented it. Crabb and fellow band member Adam Mole formed VileEvils from the ashes, releasing a couple of singles (including a double A-side with a 2010 remix of Axe of Men, from Cure for Sanity) and had announced an album, when, just this month, Crabb announced that he was winding things up so that he could re-start PWEI, albeit as the only original member, the rest of the band declining to take part. Crabb feels he has unfinished business with the Poppies legacy, we can only wait to see what comes of it. Mood: apprehensive.

And that's all I have to say on the subject...

Well, you did ask.

A

Anonymous

wow , you certainly know all about them , i assumed at first that pwei was some kind of internet slang , and nsy grinner was on the windup (apologies nsy) , ive honestly never heard of them myself , i would say ill have a read up , but i doubt theres as much info on wikipedia
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

The_lhc: AAAAARGGHHH!! I knew I'd misquoted as soon as I clicked on post. What can I say "The mind goes loopy when it's hot in the office. Oh abot 92 degrees F." (Groan...I'll sit in the corner with my hands on my head for 10 mins.

Max: No need to apologise. It's all friendly good natured banter on here. aprt from cables.

Everyone else: I think the name PWEI cones from a NME headline regarding Carter USM. If The_lhc is the biggest fan, which I will no way dispute from previous threads. I could well being the longest standing. having bought what I think is their first general release. A grebo EP which had a track Candydios, which was about The Jesus And Mary Chain right up to Two Fingers My Friend. I'll not count Live at wirds bar and grill as it is a cash in.

They were part of a 'movement' of bands in the late 80-early 90s that whilst didn't sound the same, if you saw someone wearing one of the bands t-shirts you could assume they would like the others. The bands included: Neds Atomic Dustbin, The Wonderstuff, Jesus Jones, Carter USM, early The Shamen, Scorpio Rising and EMF amongst others. It could be said that Flaunt It by Sigue Sigue Sputnik was an template (not by me) with its pop culture references, cut up style and movie samples.

They were massive comic book fans, Particularly The Watchmen and other Alan Moore creations. There were also numerous samples from films such as The Warriors (Can U Dig It?), Batman, Blade Runner, Robocop, Christine . I still think Def Con One should have been the end credit track to The Watchmen movie.

As far as I know they were also thrown off the Run DMC tour and not the Public Enemy tour as reported on other sites.

Gel: Just because 'pop' is in the title doesn't reflect the musical style. After all Rush have done some nice slow songs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts