Totally Confused Newbie

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
The simplest and cheapest solution is WD Live Tv. I store all my video, pix & music (flac) on a simple 500gb hdd connected to WD connected to amp (or hdmi to receiver in my case). Cheap solution and very decent quality. No fuss. Easy.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
The simplest and cheapest solution is WD Live Tv. I store all my video, pix & music (flac) on a simple 500gb hdd connected to WD connected to amp (or hdmi to receiver in my case). Cheap solution and very decent quality. No fuss. Easy.

This is fine but also kind of the problem.

There are so many different ways to do any of these things that it can get a bit confusing. Someone trying to connect a computer to a PM6005 via USB for example.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DocG said:
davedotco said:
DocG said:
The UnitiQute2, as suggested by rainsoothe and Jota180, might be just the thing for you. Fed by a NAS, and driving a pair of standmounters, like LS50s or Neat Iotas.

Going the Linn route, as Cno suggested, will be a little more expensive, unless you go ex-demo and second hand.

Another option could be the Peachtree Nova 65 SE: integrated amp, with DAC included, class A pre, tube buffer, class D power amp, and style in spades! Combine it with a Synology NAS, and the Guru Juniors, and you have a stunning, living-room friendly hifi-set! Within your £2000 budget!

Nice though the Nova is it does not have network capability. I believe it is possible to set up the Synology drive to ouput 'regular' digital straight into a dac but have no idea how.

Perhaps someone familiar with this kind of setup can help me out here.

That would be: NAS --> USB --> DAC, not unlike what Hifi Outlaw does, and Matt49.

Thats quite right! You just have to select in the NAS to output the audio through the USB and thats quite simple!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:

I have a WD TV Live to see movies stored in the NAS, but to use as a music interface is not as frendly user as the Synology, with the WD need to have the TV on, or use the WD app in the ipad and don't work that good to be honest.

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I greatly appreciate everyone's recommendations. While there is debate going on regarding whether the "Nova" option will work, I've concluded it is too complicated for a newbie. I will be auditioning kit during the next 2 weeks, so if others have comments, they are welcome.

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I did my first audition today. I heard the UnitiQute + NAP 100 + LS50's. Firstly, let me thank Rainsoothe. The only previous exposure that I've had to listen to Naim equipment was a few months ago when a friend of mine suggested that I listen to some higher end Naim gear. I listened to the Supernait and the 172XS+NAP200 combo, driving PMC's Twenty22's and 23's. While the experience was amazing, this kit was well beyond what I wanted to invest in a new audio system. Today's experience was also very impressive and set a very high benchmark to judge alternative combinations.

My only disappointment today was when the dealer opened a conversation about package pricing. He said that the kit pieces were list price, but he could offer a discount on the GBP 25 / metre speaker wire (which I do not think is needed) and maybe a little on the GBP 250 speaker stands. I want to support the dealer I purchase my kit from, but is this the typical pricing I should expect?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If you have the money for the all packadge even better,but keep in mind that you ca always add the NAP 100 later on, the Qute2 can drive the LS50 on is on, and save for the Synology NAS.

Now it was funny if you could compare that combo with the Naim V1 DAC+NAP100 and the LS50 with a Synology NAS using the DS Audio App as a streamer....*diablo*

Hi roadrunner

I think that you should also try and hear the Focal JM Lab Aria 906 speakers. There is superb synergy between the NAP 100 and Aria 906's. This is not surprising as Focal partly developed Aria 906's with Naim electronics.

ATC's curved SCM7 monitors are also worth a listen as we've also found the NAP 100 to work well with them.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
roadrunner said:
I did my first audition today. I heard the UnitiQute + NAP 100 + LS50's. Firstly, let me thank Rainsoothe. The only previous exposure that I've had to listen to Naim equipment was a few months ago when a friend of mine suggested that I listen to some higher end Naim gear. I listened to the Supernait and the 172XS+NAP200 combo, driving PMC's Twenty22's and 23's. While the experience was amazing, this kit was well beyond what I wanted to invest in a new audio system. Today's experience was also very impressive and set a very high benchmark to judge alternative combinations.

My only disappointment today was when the dealer opened a conversation about package pricing. He said that the kit pieces were list price, but he could offer a discount on the GBP 25 / metre speaker wire (which I do not think is needed) and maybe a little on the GBP 250 speaker stands. I want to support the dealer I purchase my kit from, but is this the typical pricing I should expect?

I'm delighted you liked the combination.

Regarding the offer - It is not unusual to give a discount on the accessories, which often have the most mark up.

Whether you think this is a worthwhile offer depends on if you think more expensive cables are worth it. If you are sceptical, get them to prove the difference by demonstrating it against cheap stuff.

BTW. What is the cable they are offering?

Do you need decent speaker stands....if so push for a good price on them as well?

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Well it is getting interesting. I heard two different combinations of Naim kit and they sounded very good to me. I could not tell the difference between the UnitiQute+NAP 100 and the UnitiLite. I like the 50 watts of power that the NAP 100 provides. So it is a trade off between not using the 35 watt power amp in the UnitiQute and not needing the CD player on the UnitiLite. Then the dealer threw in one other combination to consider, the DAC V1 + NAP100. He did not have a DAC V1 in stock to demo, so I did not get to hear this combination. The dealer said that the DAC V1 had a better DAC than the other two setups. So my question is, since the three options cost approximately the same, are there any pluses / minuses that I should consider before choosing one of these combos?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Now you're arriving to the tricky part of choosing a system, i stand by my state, that if you are going to have a synology NAS you can use the streamer program that is has and use the money on a better separate DAC like the V1 DAC for exemple.

That way you can achieve a better sound quality. When you buy a srteamer you are buing more that a DAC, you have internet radio (that synology has as well), DAB ( synology doen't have) FM radio ( synology doen't have) and some other few features, that you may need or not, in my case i don't need them, but synology offers constant system upgrade ( that any streamer brand can't offer)

I've made a search online in some synology forums that DS Audio play ( synology own streaming program) supports DSD play back, but i need to read in more detail this feature.

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Hi-FiOutlaw. So if I am only storing music, am I correct to assume that I should be looking at a Synology D213j, with 2x1 tb hard drives? Do I need anything else from Synology?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Nope that just it from synology, but Personaly I would not buy 1TB HD, you can buy 3tb HD the difference in price is not that much, and in RAID 1 you have an exact copy of bouth HD at all time. And believe me, once you get the hang of the NAS the 3TB will not be that much...

Do you have a ipad or ithing, android or IOS?

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw,

One more question. What would you think about a combo that is the Synology NAS>RegaDAC>NAP100? While I could save quite a lot of money with this combo by not buying the DACV1, am I going to have compatability and or connection problems?

rainsoothe

Hi. I dont think the rega dac can act as a preamp, which the dac v1 can. Also great headphone amplifier - the dac v1. Also the rega dac doesnt hold a candle to the v1 (having auditioned both and owning the latter). The downside of the v1, besides not having radio and network capabilities, is that it nas zero analogue inputs, so if you later wanna add a phonostage for a turntable, you can't. Also you need to have your source close-ish to the dac, coz usb cable. Other then that, ye, the dac v1 is awesome.

The uq2 has 1 analogue input. So you know your needs best. Maybe you can save money by trying neat iotas instead of the ls50s.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
Hi. I dont think the rega dac can act as a preamp, which the dac v1 can. Also great headphone amplifier - the dac v1. Also the rega dac doesnt hold a candle to the v1 (having auditioned both and owning the latter). The downside of the v1, besides not having radio and network capabilities, is that it nas zero analogue inputs, so if you later wanna add a phonostage for a turntable, you can't. Also you need to have your source close-ish to the dac, coz usb cable. Other then that, ye, the dac v1 is awesome.

The uq2 has 1 analogue input. So you know your needs best.

This is quite thrue! I don't have that problem as i have a amp that deas have all the inputs that i neen.

roadrunner

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Thank you again. I called a dealer today to audition the V1 and told him my expected setup - NAS>V1>NAP100 and he said that I have to also get a streamer in order to operate the volume controls on the V1. Can you or anyone else confirm if this is correct?

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
roadrunner said:
Thank you again. I called a dealer today to audition the V1 and told him my expected setup - NAS>V1>NAP100 and he said that I have to also get a streamer in order to operate the volume controls on the V1. Can you or anyone else confirm if this is correct?

The V1 has a volume knob, and a remote from which you can also adjust the volume. I don't know why I'd say that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts