Tools for fitting cartridges

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
Forever Young said:
Those little circular nuts, with a little slot are a nightmare. I don't know how you're supposed to deal with those. I much prefer to nut shaped ones, with edges. You can hold those ones still with your finger, until it bites. Is there a special trick or tool for the round ones, I wonder.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to use the slotted version of those nuts. They are only ever employable if the bolts are really short. When fitting cartridges I tend to work bottom-up with the nuts on top and bolts inserted from underneath.
That's how I've often done it, in the past. My Nagaoka headshell and cart, came with them. I'd forgotten how tricky they are. The cart is mounted with them underneath. As I was only moving it slightly, I left them as they are. I used needle nose pliers to grip them. It wasn't ideal. The potential for disaster was not something I was comfortable with. I will have to see if I can get some with flat edges, and put them on top, like you suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts