Tools for fitting cartridges

6and8

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I can't remember the last time I fitted a cartridge myself, I've become dependent on paying someone else to do it for me. But it would be useful to be able do it myself so that I can experiment and try out different cartridges. What tools am I going to need? My tonearm is an Origin Live modified RB300.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've only done it once myself, but I used a mini screwdriver (the ones from Christmas crackers are suprisingly good for this kind of task), a small spirit level, and a fitting protractor.

The protractors, IIRC can be bought for a fair few quid. Mine I downloaded for free and printed at work.

I'm sure one of the vastly more knowledgeable chaps on here will be along shortly with more help!

Good luck!!!

D

Deleted member 108165

Small engineers screwdrivers, (can be bought cheap as a set from Tesco's), as you don't want to apply too much torque to the screws... the drivers are also good for easing off the tonearm leads. Tweezers for refitting tonearm leads. A decent protractor suitable for your arm/turntable. A jewellers loupe x10 or 20 magnification. Set of digital scales from eBay. I've found a small LED light is also handy for checking stylus alignment but if you purchase an illuminated loupe then this works too.

Above all patience and a steady pair of hands is a must.

Some of the above have moved away from fitting and on to set-up, correctly so. I use a set of jewellers screw drivers, although only one really needed, a small pair of needle-nosed pliers. A small nut-holding wrench is sometimes given away with some cartridges.

That's all you need for fitting.

Set-up is another matter. ;-)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
To hold those slotted nuts some manufacturers supply, I took a screwdriver bit of efficient width, filed it down to fit the groove in the but, then cut out the centre, slightly wider than the bolt. It doesn't,t need a screwdriver, it works well hand held.

D

Deleted member 108165

If you're heading into some serious cartridge swapping then a test record is good for setting bias... unless you have a good ear... I don't.

As a whole the price of all this kit mounts up rather quickly but it is a once only purchase. Takes all the fumbling and guesswork out of fitting and dialling-in a cart... it's all very satisfying.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Don’t forget a wooden cocktail stick if you need to (gently) widen the tag on a cartridge lead. The cocktail stick tapers so you can get the exact gap required to push the tags on the connectors (with just enough resistance for them to stay put firmly).

If a little too wide then pinch onto a narrower diameter part of the cocktail stick and try again. The cocktail stick prevents the tag collapsing under pressure from tweezers/pliers when crimping.

Jeweller’s flat screwdriver for easing tags on and off from connecting pins.

daytona600

But it would be useful to be able do it myself so that I can experiment and try out different cartridges

you need a Jelco/Sme with plug-in headshell & different cartridges can be fitted quickly

Quality Test record , Protractor & Stylus force guage will last for decades

Screwdriver , pliers & tape the platter to stop it rotating & remove stylus guard last of all

then tune by ear & reset/check settings VTF , VTA , Azimuth once cartidge has settled in 50/100hours

daytona600 said:
But it would be useful to be able do it myself so that I can experiment and try out different cartridges

you need a Jelco/Sme with plug-in headshell & different cartridges can be fitted quickly

Quality Test record , Protractor & Stylus force guage will last for decades

Screwdriver , pliers & tape the platter to stop it rotating & remove stylus guard last of all

then tune by ear & reset/check settings VTF , VTA , Azimuth once cartidge has settled in 50/100hours

Agree with most though changing stonework is a tad extreme considering the Rb300 he already has. ;-)

Providing you have a well set-up cartridge the test record may be an expensive optional extra

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
From my ‘museum’ ...

4001429208_d14986f696_o.jpg

... left over Dual CS505 cartridge plus alignment jig, spacers, cartridge holders and add-on counterweight for heavy cartridges

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
brownz said:
A good single malt to steady the hand.

Although this is frowned upon at work and only applies to home ;-) ;-)

And a large tumbler so you can drown your sorrows if you wreck the stylus. *dash1*

Sorry about my previous post but at least it let me in to post this.
kiss.png

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
It should be noted that some cartridges are sensitive to vertical tracking angle (VTA) where the usual adjustment is an allen bolt at the base of the tonearm column that allows you to carefully push and pull the whole thing up and down. If you've spent the price of a car on your turntable then it probably comes with some dial-in gizmo for this and a nurse in starched whites to twiddle it for you, but for the rest of us it's the ikea special. RB300 looks to be no different.

Worth remembering that changing the tracking weight will also change the VTA owing to the different flex in the cantilever.

BTW wish I could afford to play with different cartridges. Lucky you!

good_enough said:
It should be noted that some cartridges are sensitive to vertical tracking angle (VTA) where the usual adjustment is an allen bolt at the base of the tonearm column that allows you to carefully push and pull the whole thing up and down. If you've spent the price of a car on your turntable then it probably comes with some dial-in gizmo for this and a nurse in starched whites to twiddle it for you, but for the rest of us it's the ikea special. RB300 looks to be no different.

Worth remembering that changing the tracking weight will also change the VTA owing to the different flex in the cantilever.

BTW wish I could afford to play with different cartridges. Lucky you!

Most of the older Rega arms required the use of shims as VTA adjustment was never built in.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Never owned a RB but was trying to judge by some photos on the web. If OP does need shims then 'a set of shims' should be in the toolkit, as carts do vary in 'ride height' even if they aren't VTA-sensitive!

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Never owned a RB but was trying to judge by some photos on the web. If OP does need shims then 'a set of shims' should be in the toolkit, as carts do vary in 'ride height' even if they aren't VTA-sensitive!

Forever Young

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Those little circular nuts, with a little slot are a nightmare. I don't know how you're supposed to deal with those. I much prefer to nut shaped ones, with edges. You can hold those ones still with your finger, until it bites. Is there a special trick or tool for the round ones, I wonder.

Forever Young said:
Those little circular nuts, with a little slot are a nightmare. I don't know how you're supposed to deal with those. I much prefer to nut shaped ones, with edges. You can hold those ones still with your finger, until it bites. Is there a special trick or tool for the round ones, I wonder.

Personally I wouldn't attempt to use the slotted version of those nuts. They are only ever employable if the bolts are really short. When fitting cartridges I tend to work bottom-up with the nuts on top and bolts inserted from underneath.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts