Too much treble

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I;ve just replaced my Micromeger Cd stage 4 with a Densen B420 and am not happy with the sound. It often sounds over bright and shrill, although quite detailed. My amp is a Roksan Caspian and I have BW CDM1 louderspeakers. Any suggestions?

Craig.

John Duncan

Speakers. The CD player and amp are probably resolving detail that your old (I think) speakers aren't handling well any more. Consider listening to some upmarket standmounters around the grand mark - I say standmounters because you get more tweeter for your money from these than from an equivalent-priced floorstander, which should make the treble less fatiguing. PMC, AVI, ProAc, Neat, Totem, Sonus Faber.

Just my tuppence worth.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="cse"]my Micromeger Cd stage 4 with a Densen B420 and am not happy with the sound.[/quote]

The Micro are known for their smoothness but I am very possitive than you now can hear more infomations coming thorugh with the Densen which at first can sound little odd

and the CDM1 tweeters (like most of it's range) are very forward sounding.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks John. My amp and speakers were both bought in July 07. The amp cost £800 and the speakers £600. Are you sure it isn't the amp? I still find that my Ion Obelisk FM1 Tuner sounds better than the Densen, particularly with a live radio3 broadcast. How can this be? It's more than 10years old and has a good rooftop aerial. Also I find whenever I audition HIFI it never sound as good when I actually play it at home as it does in the shop.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="cse"]
Thanks John. My amp and speakers were both bought in July 07. The amp cost £800 and the speakers £600. Are you sure it isn't the amp? I still find that my Ion Obelisk FM1 Tuner sounds better than the Densen, particularly with a live radio3 broadcast. How can this be? It's more than 10years old and has a good rooftop aerial. Also I find whenever I audition HIFI it never sound as good when I actually play it at home as it does in the shop.
[/quote]

Maybe you just need to get used to the new sound. Did you audition the Densen with your amplifier or your speakers?

John Duncan

And it seems that you've got it, though to the extent that another of your components can't deal with it, and I still suspect it is the speakers. Whether it is or not, I would suggest you go back to the dealer with whom you have spent a rather large sum of money, tell them your problem, and see what they'll do about it. And bearing in mind how much you've already spent, if they're not willing to lend you other CD players (and, I'd suggest, speakers, so you can isolate the problem) to audition at length in your own home until you're happy, I'd suggest you find another dealer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts