To JoelSim - Update request on the new items

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi Joel

I would really like to ask how your Unison CDE player and Kudos Speakers are stacking up against your previous equipment now that you have probably had time to get used to them.

I have a keen interest in the Unison products in particular and have this as a potential upgrade option in the future from my own Arcam's. Given i may not get a discounted price like yourself can you give an opinion of the CD player.

Many thanks.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Love it. Really smooth compared to the CD192 I had. Works well with the speakers, a stunning sound. I think I probably need to upgrade my amp to get the best from it.

Also useful as it has a digital in for streaming, so I can now listen to football on the radio (no reception), and it sounds pretty damn good to be honest.

Really chuffed with it. Keep your eye on UKD as they are the Uk Distributors, and will no doubt have some bargains.

I haven't heard a CD36 so I couldn;t say how much better it would be than what you have.

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
The Arcam CD36 measures up very well to almost anything else i have heard in either a demo or someones elses house. It has a weighty and smooth character. Loved by some mags and not so much by others - but thats a similar story for a lot of Arcam items.

When i bought it my last demo was directly against the CD73 and CD192 to be sure it added value. It certainly dug up much more detail than the 192 and had more bass weight and a was smoother too. I really like it and since i bought it for £699 new it was pound for pound quite a bargain.

Now the Unison CDE comes well reviewed and given the 192 analogy sounds closer to the CD36 in presentation. i will of course need to demo to see how much better than a CD36 it is given its cost.

Personally whilst i like the Unison idea and its looks very much i would probably get more benefit from a speaker upgrade. I may try a floorstander option.

Thanks for your reply though - is the Unison amp on the future list ?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
crusaderlord:The Arcam CD36 measures up very well to almost anything else i have heard in either a demo or someones elses house. It has a weighty and smooth character. Loved by some mags and not so much by others - but thats a similar story for a lot of Arcam items. When i bought it my last demo was directly against the CD73 and CD192 to be sure it added value. It certainly dug up much more detail than the 192 and had more bass weight and a was smoother too. I really like it and since i bought it for £699 new it was pound for pound quite a bargain. Now the Unison CDE comes well reviewed and given the 192 analogy sounds closer to the CD36 in presentation. i will of course need to demo to see how much better than a CD36 it is given its cost. Personally whilst i like the Unison idea and its looks very much i would probably get more benefit from a speaker upgrade. I may try a floorstander option. Thanks for your reply though - is the Unison amp on the future list ?

I would agree that speakers would make the biggest difference. I would also try to get a Nordost mains cable for your CDP to replace the Clearer Audio.

The Unico 100 is on my future list, as is the Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta and a number of others, but the problem is I run 2 sets of speakers off my amps and very very few amps allow switching like Arcams so I need to wait until I've moved house in the next few months before I can decide on what my set-up needs to be.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts