Tiny phono stage

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I know I've posted on this before but I've lost the link.

My dad has given me his Pro-Ject Debut III turntable as he never uses it. I need a phono stage and becuase of space constraints it needs to be less than 40mm in height.

Thoughts and suggestions please?

Thanks

Joel 

A

Anonymous

try cambridge audio 640p. a great listen for not much cash

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Actually I'm talking rubbish. I can fit one in behind my CD player as long as interference won't be a problem (comments please).

The space is approx. 10cm x 8cm x up to 15cm....as long as interference won't be a problem with it sitting a couple of cms away from the back of the cd player.

ÿ

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
dvdaudio:try cambridge audio 640p. a great listen for not much cash

It's just too big and won't fit the space I have available on my rack (built to measure so not much spare room). Shame really as it's had good reviews

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Do you think that it would help make the Debut III perform close to the Arcam CD192?

I have never heard a CD192.

I know my relatively low-rent Rega P2 with the Fono-Mini can be the master of the (CD73 derived) player section of my Solo-Mini with the right LP and a fair wind. But I think that can be true of vinyl with any competent turntable package when compared to CD. It was no hyperbole when WHF praised a £3000 Chord DAC (December issue) by comparing it's qualities with a good turntable!...

"it's all about fluidity, naturalness and the kind of cohesion that only the very best turntables can manage."

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm.

I'm erring towards a Graham Slee Gram 2 Communicator at the moment at about £135. Mainly to cover any potential upgrades of the deck, and to ensure that I don't feel short changed. My system doesn't suffer fools gladly with amps and speakers that show up lesser equipment & recordings. Most of the LPs I will inherit are old Elton John, Beatles, Steely Dan, Dave Brubeck, FGTH, Aretha, Carly Simon, James Taylor etcÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think I would rather spend more on a cartridge upgrade before putting something like an OBH-18 in there.

(Before someone jumps in with the Denon DL110 suggestion, remember the Debut III has a pressed steel platter and cannot be used with any moving coil cartridge.)

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Well if I like the sound it gives, then I may well go for a cartridge upgrade in the near future, I just want to make sure I'm not having to upgrade the phono amp too later on.

For a start the missus won't even know about the phono amp as she has no idea about hifi and the said item will be completely hidden from view as it happens. ÿ

A

Anonymous

Another vote for the fono mini, which is a bit of a bargain. It's really opened the sound up on my system, and seems more musical/better voiced than the NAD and Pro-ject equivalents. I'm using a P2, and wouldn't be thinking of upgrading the fono stage if and when I upgrade the turntable.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:d_a_n1979:Joel; why dont you just get the Arcam one fitted to your A85?

Wouldnt that make life easier in the long run?

Yes! For the 24th time!

I think I remember that Joel having to take the amp to a dealer to get the Arcam phono-stage fitted would 'give the game away' to the missus that something upgradey was afoot hence the request for 'tiny' phono stage ideas. (They can be hidden.)

Also Joel did not fancy the idea of opening up the Arcam to fit it himself.

Otherwise a good idea. Maybe taking it to the dealer to get it 'repaired' could work.
emotion-5.gif

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thats what i was thinking Chebby...

Something along the lines of 'Ooohhh... One of the channels doesnt sound right; i'll have to get it checked by a professional...'

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts