Time to upgrade Rega Alya's, whats a good mini floorstander?

ant

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
I've some Rega Alya's picked up 2nd hand a while ago that I use with a Quad 306 and Chromecast Audio. I really like the sound and the conciseness of the setup.

Have just moved to a new flat and broke the binding posts on one of the Alya's and there is a rattle now on the other, so maybe time for something new. Are there any modern mini floorstanders like the Alya?

ant

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
Budget is flexible, maybe up to £500 - its just for the old Quad 306 with Chromecast Audio so it probably doesn't make sense to spend loads?

Thanks! Had not heard of them but they look exactly the type of thing I'm looking for.
I agree with Al ears. Had these on demo a couple of times over the years and they are fantastic speakers. The imaging is second to none below really silly money.

The only slight hesitation I have is the Arros can be tricky to drive and control. I'm not familiar with Quad amps so I don't know the real world power, although from what I've read about the brand should be fine tonally with the Arros.

I agree with Al ears. Had these on demo a couple of times over the years and they are fantastic speakers. The imaging is second to none below really silly money.

The only slight hesitation I have is the Arros can be tricky to drive and control. I'm not familiar with Quad amps so I don't know the real world power, although from what I've read about the brand should be fine tonally with the Arros.
the Quad is only 50 wpc but is meaty enough for the Arros I feel, it was designed to drive the Quad 10L speakers which were 84dB

Even better these for £319 have to worth a punt even if you don't like them easy to sell on.

Fair play.
I think they are certainly worth a punt with that amp.
we'll see if the OP thinks so later I guess.
for £319 it has to be worth a look, even if you have to sell them on later.
Was thinking about getting them for myself as I reckon they would go well on the end of my Parasound, however my dear lady might have something to say about another pair of speakers in the house.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 195327

Was thinking about getting them for myself as I reckon they would go well on the end of my Parasound, however my dear lady might have something to say about another pair of speakers in the house.....
I too think they seem good value and pretty low risk as.youd probs get most of your cash back if you didn't like them. Tempting, but Mrs Amor would take the same view.

@AI ears. I've not been on here for a while as I changed my phone (which auto-remembered my password). However, I am Amormusic (without the _ mark). That acc is connected to an old work email so I can't update it. Is there anyway you can merge this one and that one? Or change my proper (old and long-term) account so it connects to a current email and I can reset it?

Yup, I would have taken a punt on them as well in the OP's situation. But I think if I staggered through the door with a couple of speakers Mrs. P would lay an egg.

ant

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
Hey people, I'm back with an update. Have finally got some Arro's! Was holding out for cherry ones. While waiting I'd sorted out the Alya's so have them both running now, side by side.

I know the Alya's are pretty old but I really like the sound, and they seem to work well with the Quad 306. Visitors sometimes comment how good they sound. While I was moving I had the Alya's with an old Denon DM38. Not fancy but for a mini system it got 5 star reviews back in the day, and it sounded ok with the Alyas, but when I put them back on the 306 it was amazing the difference, like the speakers had been under a duvet with the DM38.

Anyway, it some respects the Arro's sounds similar to the Alya's, the mid and trebles maybe, but with the bass there is so much more and it's big and deep and firm - the difference is staggering, amazing for such a small size. And the Arro's look so elegant, side by side they make the Alya's look quite squat and fat.

So quite pleased with the purchase. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Hey people, I'm back with an update. Have finally got some Arro's! Was holding out for cherry ones. While waiting I'd sorted out the Alya's so have them both running now, side by side.

I know the Alya's are pretty old but I really like the sound, and they seem to work well with the Quad 306. Visitors sometimes comment how good they sound. While I was moving I had the Alya's with an old Denon DM38. Not fancy but for a mini system it got 5 star reviews back in the day, and it sounded ok with the Alyas, but when I put them back on the 306 it was amazing the difference, like the speakers had been under a duvet with the DM38.

Anyway, it some respects the Arro's sounds similar to the Alya's, the mid and trebles maybe, but with the bass there is so much more and it's big and deep and firm - the difference is staggering, amazing for such a small size. And the Arro's look so elegant, side by side they make the Alya's look quite squat and fat.

So quite pleased with the purchase. Thanks for all the recommendations.
Really pleased for you. You should also notice lovely holographic imaging and bigger soundscape.

The Arros really are pocket rockets. That said, I am rather biased towards them.

Enjoy.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts