Time to Spend Cash on a New System

speedy green

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi All

Havent spent any money on HiFi gear for over 10 years - so now is the time, driven by my need for a turntable so i can dust off all my old vinyl from the 70's and 80's. - scary.

in my lounge ( 8m x 4m) I have a Denon F10 stack and Kef Coda 9 floormount speakers - this is all about 12 years old - but to my ears still sounds good.

In a small box room I have cambridge audio 640A amp with 640C CD player and Monitor audio RS1 bookshelves - again sounds ok to me.

I want to buy and use a turntable ( looking at Rega RP3) in my lounge and thought I would buy a new CD player,speakers and amp as well - all to replace the Denon F10 stack.

I moved from Uk to Sydney a few years back - and most HiFi equipment here is twice the price of the same product in the uk ( Rega seem to be noteworthy exception to this price guaging in australia).

I will listen to combinations in some of my local HiFi shops and will buy the Rega RP3 here, but other items I intend to buy in the Uk so dont wish to waste australian retailers time when i have little inclination to buy fro mthem ( due to said pricing).

So would welcome any thoughts on my plans and particularly what separates you would recommend to support the turntable, my overall budget would be 2500-3000 pounds

thanks in advance

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
speedy green said:
Hi All

Havent spent any money on HiFi gear for over 10 years - so now is the time, driven by my need for a turntable so i can dust off all my old vinyl from the 70's and 80's. - scary.

in my lounge ( 8m x 4m) I have a Denon F10 stack and Kef Coda 9 floormount speakers - this is all about 12 years old - but to my ears still sounds good.

In a small box room I have cambridge audio 640A amp with 640C CD player and Monitor audio RS1 bookshelves - again sounds ok to me.

I want to buy and use a turntable ( looking at Rega RP3) in my lounge and thought I would buy a new CD player,speakers and amp as well - all to replace the Denon F10 stack.

I moved from Uk to Sydney a few years back - and most HiFi equipment here is twice the price of the same product in the uk ( Rega seem to be noteworthy exception to this price guaging in australia).

I will listen to combinations in some of my local HiFi shops and will buy the Rega RP3 here, but other items I intend to buy in the Uk so dont wish to waste australian retailers time when i have little inclination to buy fro mthem ( due to said pricing).

So would welcome any thoughts on my plans and particularly what separates you would recommend to support the turntable, my overall budget would be 2500-3000 pounds

thanks in advance

?

?

?

Have you thought about storing your music files on a hard drive and using a dac instead of buying a seperate cd player as good cd players could take away money from a very good amp/speakers.

You could then still hook up your turn table.

£3000 is plenty for a good set up but id also look 2nd hand and go higher end before making a decision.

Do you have any makes in mind that you like?

speedy green

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
thanks Andrew

not familiar with DAC or how they work - but will read more on them today, i do however prefer to physically select a CD and insert into the player.

in terms of brands - no strong allegiance, but have some familiarity with Rotel,B&W,Wharfedale,Rega,Marantz,NAD

cheers

Vaprak001

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
...trying Osborn loudspeakers for some very well priced new components. I've had some consonance products shipped all the way to Dubai previously as Greg's prices were so reasonable. Service very good too. He's based in Melbourne and has a website.

As for what type of components, Consonance, for example make some good cd players that also act as a DAC for further flexibility. Worth a look.

Cheers

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
speedy green said:
thanks Andrew

not familiar with DAC or how they work - but will read more on them today, i do however prefer to physically select a CD and insert into the player.

in terms of brands - no strong allegiance, but have some familiarity with Rotel,B&W,Wharfedale,Rega,Marantz,NAD

cheers

Im alsoFamiliar with nad. Now if you like nad the c390dd is a very good amp and has a built in dac. This amp paired up to some atc scm19s or 11s would sound awesome imo. Or a pair of kef r300s.

Regards cd v dac: all cd players have built in dacs (digital to analog converter) that takes the files and decodes it into analog and sends it to your amplifier.

A stand alone dac cuts out the cd mech and takes the music files from a storage device like a hd or dedicated music server or vault.

Lots of people like you also prefer to select a phsical disc but trust me once you have a dac and all your music in a hd there is no going back. You can just select all your music and can play tracks non stop on random without getting up to change a disc.

Buts it all personal and no right or wrong way.

Also do you want floor standers or stand mounts?

How large is your room?

How loud do you want to play?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts