THX Capability-Is this important?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've noticed that only the highest end Yamaha and Denon models have THX. The Yamaha 3900 and Denon 4308 don't have THX but for Onkyo, both the 876 and 906 have THX.

Is it important to have THX or is this something that can be ignored?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Basically, the THX certification is something manufacturers can seek for their products, and in order to get either THX Select 2 or THX Ultra 2 certification the products have to meet a set of technical criteria, and pass some testing procedures.

As THX puts it,

"Certification begins during the initial product design phase. Every
product detail is meticulously mapped to THX standards. And THX
engineers spend countless hours testing and analyzing products in
laboratory and home theater environments to ensure quality, usability
and compatibility that's worthy of the THX name."

In addition, the THX certification brings with it some extra THX-developed reprocessing modes, which can help the sound of some movies, notably in the area of dialogue intelligibility.

Some manufacturers feel this is more important than others, and of course it has cost implications for a manufacturer, so some choose only to seek THX certification on certain products.

Whether or not you need this 'stamp' is really down to how much importance you place on the THX certification, and how much you like the THX reprocessing.

However, it's worth noting that for 'the THX thing' to work properly, you should really have a source component and speakers also carrying THX certification.

A

Anonymous

I do play my Blue Ray movies on the THX setting, and do find it the most enjoyable one for the room and my system.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
However, it's worth noting that for 'the THX thing' to work properly, you should really have a source component and speakers also carrying THX certification.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply.

I've been surfing the B&W website and haven't noticed any THX certification on their speakers. Does this mean that for B&W owners, THX certification on an AV Receiver is pointless?

Thanks.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's pointless - I use B&W speakers with an Onkyo 905 which is THX certified (can't remember which level now). It's nice to have the THX modes on the amp and, on some DVDs, I've found it preferable to the standard Dolby Digital / DTS soundtrack. It's also a guarantee certain standards have been met for the amp.
Sure, if you wanted to put a sign outside your house to say your home cinema is fully THX certified, you couldn't use these speakers, but for a normal home cinema, it certainly doesn't detract from anything, only adds (IMO).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts