Thorens TD 147 turntable too big

camcroft

My other half came home and saw the Thorens set up and said its way too big so I suppose it will have to go.. to where I dont know.Can anyone suggest an alternative that is smaller say the size of the Rega or Project more slimline I like the idea of having a glossy one in black or some other modern colour.Please help me without losing too much in the sound quality dept.Thanks
help.gif

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I find that leaving it a few days before offering to change anything can make "big" or "ugly" items become tolerable for the other half.

She stuck with me after all ;-)

camcroft said:
My other half came home and saw the Thorens set up and said its way too big so I suppose it will have to go.. to where I dont know.Can anyone suggest an alternative that is smaller say the size of the Rega or Project more slimline I like the idea of having a glossy one in black or some other modern colour.Please help me without losing too much in the sound quality dept.Thanks
help.gif

Why not a Rega P7 or P9. They come in various colours and look fairly quirky.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p9.htm

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
;)
plastic penguin said:
camcroft said:
help.gif

Why not a Rega P7 or P9. They come in various colours and look fairly quirky.

http://www.rega.co.uk/html/p9.htm
+1 for the P9, although I have to say that my brother owns the Thorens you mentioned and I love the look of it. Well beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you've got some dough to burn why not the Simon Yorke series 7 ;) ?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
camcroft said:
help.gif

Sigh.

Stand your ground and be a man ;).

About the smallest you can go is a Project Genie. When you have finished a sesh you can put it in your pocket to keep madam happy.

Leave it there as suggested. Ok it may cost you a couple of nights sleeping in the shed,but a small price to pay at the end of the day.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
+1 for floyd, thats what I'd do...then again I'm not married yet. Well I think going from the Thorens to the Genie will be a bit like going from a ferrari to a ford, although its a great tt for the money. Comeon Floydie recommend him some of the rare hi-fi stuff you did to me, you have great knowledge of little known brands.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Meanwhile over at www.whathatandshoesandthat.com:

Floyd's Femdroid said:
Camillacroft said:
I came home to find my other half had set up up a massive turntable and I said its way too big, it will have to go but he's whining about sound quality and spending money on a replacement and I don't think he's going to listen to me, what can I do?

Sigh.

Stand your ground Grrrlfriend! ;).

Leave it there as suggested. Stick him in the shed for a couple of nights and he'll back down, they're all wimps!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
Meanwhile over at www.whathatandshoesandthat.com:

Floyd's Femdroid said:
Camillacroft said:
I came home to find my other half had set up up a massive turntable and I said its way too big, it will have to go but he's whining about sound quality and spending money on a replacement and I don't think he's going to listen to me, what can I do?

Sigh.

Stand your ground Grrrlfriend! ;).

Leave it there as suggested. Stick him in the shed for a couple of nights and he'll back down, they're all wimps!

Ha ha.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
shafesk said:
Well I think going from the Thorens to the Genie will be a bit like going from a ferrari to a ford, although its a great tt for the money. Comeon Floydie recommend him some of the rare hi-fi stuff you did to me, you have great knowledge of little known brands.

I cant Shafie ,its a lost cause methinks. The thing is if Mr C was to go down the Rega route or any TT of the mdf/particle board genre then idealy he needs a wall mount. Mrs C is going to love that :O.

This is only the start Mr C. Before long your sig will read...... ipod and supplied headphones,lol.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts