This should be interesting...!

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Rega is advertising on their website, opens in the weekend of 27/28 october.

http://www.hifilounge.co.uk/

"At HiFi Lounge we like to think that we are a little different from the average HiFi dealerships, for a start we are not located on a busy high street or retail park, instead we are situated in the heart of the beautiful Bedfordshire countryside in an award winning, eco friendly, converted Granary with beautiful views and ample parking.

This means that you can stay as long as you need without the need of having to rush off half way through a demo to put more money in the meter, which in turn means there are no time constraints, spend as much time as needed, resulting in no costly or rushed decisions. read more"

SteveR750

Nice concept, but nowhere near enough brands to make a long journey worthwhile. This is my gripe about many dealers, not enough brands to compare with, but I realise there is the cost of maintaining high value stocks, with a low turnover - AV stuff is far easier to shift I guess than esoteric audio gear.

I still think that the retailer who sells by home demo is the way forward, even if it means providing a there and back courier service, which I'd happily pay towards for the convenience and avoiding fuel costs / days off works etc. I on't think manipulating the DSR rules is an ethical solution by the way...

SteveR750

chebby said:
SteveR750 said:
I on't think manipulating the DSR rules is an ethical solution by the way...
Where does it say they are?

I think it's a popular method by which to stealth hoe demo stuff and return it FOC. During the conversations I had with the last 3 retailers about home demo, I told them I wouldn't exploit the DSR rules to do this, and given their appreciative response it's clearly an issue for them (as it contaminates and downgrades the saleable value of returned stock). In two cases, since I was so honest, they sent me a brand new item with a 14 day return if I didn't like it, but I would have no issue in paying for the privilege of a home demo - the difference between the new and ex-demo value for example. The third retailer incidentally sent me the demo unit, and so is expecting it back for a full refund.

EDIT - Chebby just realised your point - you misunderstand me, I wasn't suggesting the retailer is abusing the DSR regs, merely that some buyers maybe do!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
Nice concept, but nowhere near enough brands to make a long journey worthwhile. This is my gripe about many dealers, not enough brands to compare with, but I realise there is the cost of maintaining high value stocks, with a low turnover - AV stuff is far easier to shift I guess than esoteric audio gear.

This is something that some stores try and address... :)

AV gear is harder to shift as it is a slowly decreasing market, hence a lot of dealers trying to back into 2 channel. SOmetimes you end up losing money on AV gear when clearing discontinued stock.

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guys,

You're certianly not wrong, this really is going to be intersting to say the least, good to see that we are getting noticed though, thanks Rega :grin:

I know I haven't got the most comprehensive list of different brands but my whole thinking behind HiFi lounge is to offer something a little different, so I have spent the last 4 months kitting out a converted granary and I really only want to stock the brands that I believe in personally, brands I'm passionate about, that way hopefully I can offer advice gained from personal experience from owning the products I'm selling.

We may not have the biggest portfolio, sorry, no Linn at the moment, but the brands that we are stocking I intend to carry a very large range of demo stock, which isn't easy when you have to chose from naims range of products I have to say :roll: so we have from the PMC 21's upto the MB2i's, pretty much the whole Rega and Bryston range on demo as well as a large range from Naim.

It's a huge gamble to be honest, and I do wonder if I really am slightly mad but if I can make it work then it will be the best job going so fingers crossed.

So if anyone is curious please feel free to come along to our open weekend at the end of October and join us in a glass of bubbly to celebrate our Grand Opening :cheers:

[Signature amended by Mods to comply with House Rules]

SteveR750

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
SteveR750 said:

This is something that some stores try and address... :)

AV gear is harder to shift as it is a slowly decreasing market, hence a lot of dealers trying to back into 2 channel. SOmetimes you end up losing money on AV gear when clearing discontinued stock.

I'm genuinely surprised that AV is decreasing in favour of 2 channel.

Paul I hope it's a great success, I'd be over if I lived closer, but I'd hope that you'd be able to demo what customers want to buy, not just what you like! There's a balance between super esoteric and a "pile it high sell it cheap" outlet!

Hi Paul

I hope it goes well for you
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Paul@HiFi-Lounge said:
Hi Guys,

You're certianly not wrong, this really is going to be intersting to say the least, good to see that we are getting noticed though, thanks Rega :grin:

I know I haven't got the most comprehensive list of different brands but my whole thinking behind HiFi lounge is to offer something a little different, so I have spent the last 4 months kitting out a converted granary and I really only want to stock the brands that I believe in personally, brands I'm passionate about, that way hopefully I can offer advice gained from personal experience from owning the products I'm selling.

We may not have the biggest portfolio, sorry, no Linn at the moment, but the brands that we are stocking I intend to carry a very large range of demo stock, which isn't easy when you have to chose from naims range of products I have to say :roll: so we have from the PMC 21's upto the MB2i's, pretty much the whole Rega and Bryston range on demo as well as a large range from Naim.

It's a huge gamble to be honest, and I do wonder if I really am slightly mad but if I can make it work then it will be the best job going so fingers crossed.

So if anyone is curious please feel free to come along to our open weekend at the end of October and join us in a glass of bubbly to celebrate our Grand Opening :cheers:

Hi Paul !

Good to see that your first post was duo mine.

I wish you Every success, i can not be there with you on your Grand Opening.

I'm a Portuguese fan of Rega and other UK hi-fi brands, and Aston Martin... 8)

All the best from Portugal!!!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I'm genuinely surprised that AV is decreasing in favour of 2 channel.

The industry figures are something like 20% down last year, and this is backed up by the number of long standing dealers trying to get back into 2-channel. There was never much money in AV anyway, but volume sales helped. Now demand is dropping, dealers who relied on AV can no longer do so, and are trying to get back into a market they've been out of for a long time.

Even Pioneer are finally updating their 10 year old (thereabouts) hi-fi range, and expanding on it too. Look at the growing trend of hi-fi speakers that don't have matching subs or centre speakers....

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Paul@HiFi-Lounge said:
Hi Guys,

Sounds good, best of luck :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Steve said:
but I'd hope that you'd be able to demo what customers want to buy, not just what you like! There's a balance between super esoteric and a "pile it high sell it cheap" outlet!

Always a balance, but much more rewarding/satisfying to sell products that you personally believe in. Hope it goes really well!!

Isn't the term "evangelism" :)

SteveR750

DandyCobalt said:
Steve said:
but I'd hope that you'd be able to demo what customers want to buy, not just what you like! There's a balance between super esoteric and a "pile it high sell it cheap" outlet!

Always a balance, but much more rewarding/satisfying to sell products that you personally believe in. Hope it goes really well!!

Isn't the term "evangelism" :)

Now Moonism I could live with...

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your support and best wishes, this really is a leap of faith and I thought that the heading of this thread was perfect as it really is going to be interesting from now on, who knows what the future holds.

Time permitting I'm hoping to contribute to this forum regularly and hope I can be of some help with any enquiries.

Hopefully this isn't breaking any forum rules but I've just posted some pictures over on the Naim forum of the setting up of HiFi lounge if anyone is interested.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForumTopic/content/19447375260026419

Cheers,

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Paul@HiFi-Lounge said:
Thanks Guys, I really appreciate your support and best wishes, this really is a leap of faith and I thought that the heading of this thread was perfect as it really is going to be interesting from now on, who knows what the future holds.

Time permitting I'm hoping to contribute to this forum regularly and hope I can be of some help with any enquiries.

Hopefully this isn't breaking any forum rules but I've just posted some pictures over on the Naim forum of the setting up of HiFi lounge if anyone is interested.

http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForumTopic/content/19447375260026419

Cheers,

Great thread :) OOI how many wives do you have? ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts