Unison Research Unico with Sonus Faber Toy Tower (Review)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Amplifier Unison Research Unico P: Speakers and DAC testing

(This post following the previous post on which several forum members had provided suggestions on getting speakers for the Unison Research Unico P. The previous post can be found on:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/which-speakers-for-unison-research-unico-p

This is one of two reviews which come after my long but thankfully recently completed speaker search. The other review can be found on http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/primare-i30-amplifier-dac-and-speakers-short-review

Quick Conclusion

The conclusion is that the Unison Research Unico P with an r-DAC and the Sonus Faber Toy Tower work very well together and make listening to music for hours a genuine pleasure.

I don't provide that many details on the sound of each tested speaker, mainly because most of the combinations weren't perfect, while the final one was.

Intro:

I had two amplifiers and wanted to find the speakers that would create the perfect combination with one of them.

Amplifier 1 was Primare i30 and Amplifier 2 was Unison Research Unico P (reviewed in separate review). Both are great amplifiers to my ears so I was rather open-minded to finding the best set of speakers for at least one of them. Design-wise, both amplifiers look great, neat and clean. They provide ample power to listen to music in a decent-size living room. The Unico is well known for its mid-range reproduction, with fabulous voices, while the Primare is a more balanced amp which won many awards in the past. Although being different in style, each was pleasing my ears.

Prior to my search, I was space-constrained and therefore matched them with the great Leema Xero and the AVI Neutron IV. These two bookshelves speakers are impressive and go very well with both amplifiers. I had a chance to try the Arcaydis DM1, which are excellent speakers, but didn't work that well with the Unison Research's style. They are real keepers with the Primare though.

The set-up:

Hardware: Macbook Pro + USB cable or Airport express + Arcam r-DAC + Ecosse interconnect + Unison Research Unico P + Altas 2.0 or QED Revelation speaker cables

Software: Itunes, compressed files between 192 and 320 kbps

Songs: Just by Barry White and Eric Clapton's MTV unplugged for the voice, Mozart Opera with four singers for the imaging, Zephyr Song by Red Hot Chilli Peppers for the bass control and everything else. Other albums include Concert at the Park by Simon and Garfunkel, Guns and Roses, Guetta's latest album.

Goal:

The scope of my speaker search was wide, with a few initial constraints: performance, size and design.

I have tried 4 speakers with this set-up, which isn't that much. This is explained by a significant amount of testing spent on finding speakers for the Primare instead.

The speakers tested with the Unison research include: Spendor SA5, B&W CM8, Sonus Faber Toy Tower and Sonus Faber Liuto.

Testing:

- The Spendor SA5 and B&W's CM8 did not suit the Unison Research to my ears. There wasn't enough definition in the sound and the warmth was overwhelming.

- The Sonus Faber Liuto (large bookshelves) were much better. Very good on voices and good bass as well. Warmth, control and musicality were there. Very good match.

- The Sonus Faber Toy Tower: I ended buying this set of speakers and have been living with my choice for the past 3 months. The Toy Towers are fantastic on the Unison Research and rDac. The main difference with the previous speakers is the depth coming from the larger bass and from being 3-way speakers, gaining significantly in clarity in the trebles. Also, these speakers were coming in a white leather and lacquer combination (check their website for this version), making it a beautiful piece of design.

Sonus Faber Toy Tower

Before buying these, I listened to them for a couple of hours at the shop. I loved the presence and ordered them after a whole month of testing.

I unpacked them at home, set them and let the Unison Research drive them non-stop for a whole week, before starting to hear the sound I was looking for.

Now, I had them for three months. It is such a pleasure!

Overall:

I am rediscovering music I hadn't listened to for a very long time, because every song has such a natural presence. I also listen to more music styles, as they become more musical. I also listen to music continuously, because it is now played so easily.

Mid-range:

Absolutely fantastic. Voices are splendid. I started listening to singers such as Tony Bennett, which I had never wanted to listen before. Now, it is as if they were in the room.

Instruments:

The clarity of the instruments is stunning. Piano in particular comes to life and forward in the living room.

Bass:

Thanks to the bass, the presence of any recording is very pleasing. I previously read reviews saying that the bass was not well defined. I have to say, I am not sure what it means. In the Red Hot Chilli Peppers album and the David Guetta one the bass sounds very 'crisp', so I don't see any issues with that.

Low level playing:

Like a few others, I live in a flat that does not have thick walls to prevent neighbours complaining about the volume of my hifi system. I therefore listen to a lot of music at very low levels, and it is a pleasure to have so much bass/depth even then. I only realised I needed such ability while searching for my speakers, when I was told that I did not listen to my music loud enough… These speakers are excellent from that perspective.

Definition:

I am currently going through all my CDs replacing my existing files (160-192 kbps) with 320kbps versions. Indeed, this hifi combination seems to be able to play all these details that disappear in the 160-192 kbps compression. The difference is significantly less obvious with 256kbps, but still audible sometimes.

Very pleased my hifi system

Note:

- I would thank both Sevenoaks in Holborn, London and KJ West One in Marylebone, London for helping me out with this search.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
You have built your system round a great mid-range, which leads to a natural and emotive sound.

It's great to hear your feedback, and I think your clever choice of components and methodical approach has paid dividends.

:cheers:

Cno

PvD

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Great review and I can understand that you're very satisfied with the Sonus faber Toy Tower (I never heard the Unison Research Unico). I have the Sonus faber Toy Tower (barred leather) with the Roksan Kandy K2. Excellent sound.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Peter

TRENDING THREADS