Thinking spare amp.

Really tempted to buy another Arcam A65 Plus. Sounds really odd as it'll only be used intermittently, as a back-up to my current amp.

Currently have the Alpha 7R, but rarely used. My overriding memory of the A65 was hugely pleasant. It wasn't spectacular in its presentation. It doesn't blow you away with eye-watering dynamics, detail or tight bass. What it does very well is it's musicality. Amazing little amp for £390 and considering you can pick a good one up now for so little money... seriously tempted.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Really tempted to buy another Arcam A65 Plus. Sounds really odd as it'll only be used intermittently, as a back-up to my current amp.

Currently have the Alpha 7R, but rarely used. My overriding memory of the A65 was hugely pleasant. It wasn't spectacular in its presentation. It doesn't blow you away with eye-watering dynamics, detail or tight bass. What it does very well is it's musicality. Amazing little amp for £390 and considering you can pick a good one up now for so little money... seriously tempted.
Arcam A85 should also be on your radar PP, usually available on the well known auction site for a decent price. I sold mine to a friend about 6 years ago, I purchased it around 2001, still going strong.

Arcam A85 should also be on your radar PP, usually available on the well known auction site for a decent price. I sold mine to a friend about 6 years ago, I purchased it around 2001, still going strong.
Heard the A85... it's a good amp. But it is IMO A65 with extra wattage, which is not required for a back-up amp.

If looking for extra power I would look at the A75

We've certainly all been there! 🙂
A65 was the first amp I ever bought which started me on my Hi Fi journey....
This was my 4th. When I looked to upgrade it back in 2008 it took me 2 years to find a amp that was worth the extra investment. Initially I had a budget of £600-700, which I thought was decent amount to significantly better the A65+. I demoed pretty much every popular brand at the time below 1k mark.

Only the Creek Evo 2 was worthwhile, but because the phono module was a hideous amount, took the Creek way over £700.

For the money the A65 was fabulous. Not the ballsiest of amps but wasn't important to me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts