Thinking about putting in a projector set up...help needed

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now that the F1 season is almost on us I'm thinking about installing a projector set up to really get into the action. I don't want a huge TV sitting in the room and like the idea of an electric screen coming down from the ceiling then disappearing back again when not in use.

I don't want to spend a fortune but would like it to be a reasonable picture. I've found a brand new Optoma 3D GT750-XL projector for £550 which is 720p resolution. We will be sitting about 13ft away from the screen.

Will a 72" screen be too big at that viewing distance?
Can anyone recommend a good screen?
Does anyone know if the Optoma 3D GT750-XL projector is any good?

Am I crazy for trying to do this with a 720p??

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
How about trying the projector onto the wall initially. That will allow you to gauge the ideal size before paying for a screen.

I've been doing that for 4 years with FullHD and never felt the need to actually get a screen (although, before I am shouted at, I know they will make the image brighter).

Amazon do some decent screens for just over £100.

BTW 720p looks brilliant and not that different to FullHD with a decent upscaler.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Personally I think you'll be disappointed with the quality at that distance - though it does, of course, depend on size of screen you're planning to project on. Try before you buy would be my recommendation as a projector owner.

And remember most f1 races are in daytime: brightness/blackout issues key

A

Anonymous

Clare,

Do you mean we will be sitting too close or too far away? I was thinking of a 72" or 85" screen.

I am finding it difficult to find any reviews for the GT750XL - do you know if they are any good?

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks,

David

A

Anonymous

I have to disagree in the statement that 720p looks as good as 1080p when upscaled. On a large screen like that from close it won't look great unless you have or eye sight.

Id consider going for a £900-1200 1080p projector.

I have a HD33 and sit 3m away. Clare would you say this is too close for my 92" screen ?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Not if you're watching good-quality HD content (and are prepared to be occasionally overwhelmed/made bilious by particularly fast-motion/jump-edit sequences your eyes/brain can't process: think front row of cinema!)

Back to the OP: So much depends on whether you use the projector as your main picture source, or if it's a fun, shared experience you only deploy on occasion - in which case ultimate quality isn't key.

First experience I ever had of major home projector use was in late 1990s, when a mate rigged up an enormous CRT Barco projector (bought 2nd hand for peanuts) to beam onto wall for football/F1. Quality was questionable, but the picture was huge and great for sharing the action. :)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
dasherdiablo1 said:
Clare,

Do you mean we will be sitting too close or too far away? I was thinking of a 72" or 85" screen.

I am finding it difficult to find any reviews for the GT750XL - do you know if they are any good?

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks,

David

Sitting too close. I sit similar distance from 80in screen, but am using @£2K 1080p projector and decent screen; even then the quality can disappoint with SD content/poor HD. Damn fine with great movies/sport, mind you :)

Re that Optoma: don't know it, sadly, but spec isn't overly encouraging. For starters it's got a fixed throw ratio: you'd need to position it precisely where it fits your screen size; no option to adjust to suit. That's not insurmountable, but you'll need to work out the optimal image and screen size for your room. Try this:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-GT750-projection-calculator-pro.htm

A

Anonymous

Would I be better off with either an Optoma HD23 or HD300X as they are both 1080P. Also what would people recommend as the bigest suitable scrren size from 13ft away? ( I don't want to have to move my head to capture everything that is happening on screen.

spr1ggsy

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I know im not exactly answering the question here, but 1080p is not the issue. People seem to think its all about the resolution, number of lines etc etc. I would rather have a sim2 or infocus 720p than a cheap 1080p with poor contrast,precessing , scaling etc. I remember the pioneer 42" plasma tvs were "only" 720p but they blew away EVERY OTHER 1080p screen available.

More to life than resolution folks.

A

Anonymous

I've just spoken to the folks at ProjectorPoint and they have suggest an Epsom EH-TW3200. Has anyone tried one of these?

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Additionally it doesnt matter if its 'only' 720p as that is what the F1 will be broadcast at, unless SKY/ Virging etc have started outputting at 1080p without my knowledge ;)

A

Anonymous

I thought Sky offered 1080i on most of their own HD broadcasts, similar to BBC HD.

AndyWright

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
1080i yes but that is actually an inferior quality than 720p and of course 1080p content, the interlacing is quite noticeable on a big projected screen

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
craigtumilty said:
I thought Sky offered 1080i on most of their own HD broadcasts, similar to BBC HD.

Yes SKY transmit HD @1080i and from my personal experience I've always found it best to set the Sky box output resolution to AUTO as the internal scaler in the SKY box is not particularly good and other external scalers in your TV/Projector or AV amp will more often than not do a far better job at upscaling SD or de-interlacing the 1080i feed.

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I have the EH-TW3500 and if the 3200 is similar yoou won't be disappointed.

I have had a screen aboout 104" I think it was at aboput 10', and it was fine, but a bit too big at times really I decided unless you are a front-row person. I now have 72" at about same distance and that is better. I'm immersed but see the whole scene better.

HD is always good. Also SD is good when upscaled, for decent AVI filesa or especially DVDs, iPlayer, etc., but with some low quality TV channels can look slightly ropey. Totally watchable though. Smaller screen hepls with SD sources.

Smaller screen will mean brighter picture. My TW3500 is fine in lamp or low daylight, if you don't mind slight colour washout. Obviously best in dark though.

Look out for the throw ratios, and where you will put projector. Many projectors have lense shift so you don't have to have the projector central in front of the screen, but can put it to one side and / or above / below as long as it's face-on to the screen. If you will need to have the projector pointing at the screen at an angle, you will need one that supports keystone but using it wil degrade the picture.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts