Things that non-audiophiles say

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Crystalarts

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
wife :

"cant hear the difference" - refering to B&W 683 setup against cheap home cinema kit from LG :(

"Cant see the difference" - refering to HDTV and Bluray compared to DVD and SD

Again to be fair to my wife she DOES see the difference with HDTV when we return to SD quality.. and SHE even agreed that my new speakers i picked out sounded much better than the other ones we tested... she is getting there!

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Anderson said:
You can get a good HiFi from Argos for £90.

Edit: beaten to it a couple posts up, this was genuinely said to me in work. The worst thing is, I could hear myself trying to explain what HiFi was and I sounded a knob lol

And someone gets it.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Is music still stereo?

What's treble?

Really? You buy and listen to CD's?!

What's that... Super audio CD? I've never heard of that...

My BOSE speaker sounds awesome! Really loud and bassy!

I've never heard of them...

You spent how much on just a subwoofer? My Bluetooth speaker was £160 and I thought that was really expensive!

What's analogue and digital?

No one has stereo components anymore you need a sound bar.

I don't have a CD player.

But you can download it for free!

I want some great headphones, I'm only prepared to pay £20.

Has it gots lots of bass?

It's only music.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
"Why can't you just connect the CD player to the speakers?"

"Why do you have to listen with the speaker covers off? - It looks awful"

"You paid HOW MUCH for a piece of wire? - I'd want a whole system for that!"

"Why can't you have a mini system, like everyone else?"

........... and the classic:

"Can't you be doing something more useful while you're listening to your music?"

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
It seems most of your non-audiophile friends, family and colleagues are very well adjusted people judging by the comments posted.

i kind of thought that was the point of this thread.

i want a turntable and tube amp.

What's your budget?

200-300 pounds. Oh and I'll need speakers too.

So many people starting out also always think they want warm sounding kit as if that is the ultimate aim. They've never auditioned anything but somehow the ideal of warmth is something that seems to have seeped out of the audiophile community.

Vinyl sounds so warm.

hybridauth_Facebook_664715932

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Have you bought those from currys?

Here's a story:
Few weeks back we had some relatives over at our house, we all sat around and listen to some bollywood music, couple of them also commented how good the music sounded. I think 1 of them actually wrote down the Name of the amp and the speakers and a week or so later that person called me and asked me where I bought the hifi from because he actually went to buy the same from his local currys and no 1 in that store even heard of those names.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
hybridauth_Facebook_664715932 said:
Have you bought those from currys?

Here's a story: Few weeks back we had some relatives over at our house, we all sat around and listen to some bollywood music, couple of them also commented how good the music sounded. I think 1 of them actually wrote down the Name of the amp and the speakers and a week or so later that person called me and asked me where I bought the hifi from because he actually went to buy the same from his local currys and no 1 in that store even heard of those names.

He went to Currys looking for the same HiFi system as yours? After you gave him the names I bet he got a shock when he Googled those PMC speakers and saw the price tag.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
ha! yoku dekimashita!

Mada mada desu.
skype_bow.gif

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I was playing Madonna's American Life on CD at loud volumes (peaks of about 95 dbs near the back of the room) to test a system I'd just put together when a non-audiophile friend and his wife came to visit.

They stood just inside the doorway of the room and said:

"...(silence)

Can we come round for a disco party next Saturday?"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts