...then I heard a Kenwood / Pioneer sing

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
Greetings !

My first and also my current hi-fi system Marantz CD 5001/ AMP PM 6002 with floorstanders Jamo C-405 Pioneer had been quite pleasing to my ears till I heard an old Kenwood KA 3050R amplifier with Pioneer CS 609 speakers used with a humble philips cd player at friend's. This system is atleast 10 yrs old and yet its sound came as a revelation. These components are surely not the exclusive / expensive type and yet such a pleasing open sound i did not hear when i went auditioning various reputed brands a few years ago.

My system sounds "narrow" and "squeezed" in comparision. what is wrong? is it because the older speakers are quite broad and not so deep whilst mine are narrow and deep ? is it a design characteristics? Or, was making superb sounding stereo amplifiers/speakers natural for manufacturers back then? Or Do they intentionally make systems sound restricted now to corrospond with the budget catagory they are being sold? can I do something about my system to make it sound better?

Please let me hv your views.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Probably a combination of things, high jitter cd player, speaker shape etc. at a guess.

I think I did mention about the Rega hirarchy during my last stint here a year or so ago. The further one moves up the range the more focused and organized the sound stage becomes. - Its not unlike the performers move a little back to give each other more space. A decent system will give you that without loosing coherence/the whole picture.

On a quick listen/comparison some would perhaps think the sound is 'narrow and deep' as you call it though it is more likely the opposite and everything is pulled into tighter focus whilst the sound stage overall is either the same or even larger.

Of course it could just be that your system really is pants ...

regards

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Goldsmith said:
.... can I do something about my system to make it sound better?

Please let me hv your views.

Yes! Buy an old Kenwood KA 3050R amplifier with Pioneer CS 609 speakers used with a humble philips cd player!

The answer to your question is in your excellent Original Post. It seems very simple to me. You've heard a system that you strongly prefer to yours that would be very affordable to buy. So go out and buy the same for yourself. You might also want to see if you can find some other people with similar systems to your friends to see if you can find something that you prefer even more.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Try re-configuring your speaker position to match your friends - moving the speakers will give a wider stage, you may lose some bass but try different positions if possible.

and it may be worth checking your tone controls, make sure they're are not set to 0 or -10 and experiment with the treble control.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
First thing I'd try changing is the speakers. More than any other part of the system, they govern the overall tone of what you hear. Try borrowing your friend's to see what affect they have with your amp and CDP in your room.

matthewpiano

If you like the sound of the Kenwood/Pioneer set-up, why not have something similar at home? There really are no rights or wrongs in all this. Ultimately it has to be about what enables you to enjoy the music the most.

Goldsmith

Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
a different room? yes, in near future as i shift house. But I really would try to see if my speakers are indeed the weakest link. I have heard them same speakers play with roksan caspian and they looked pretty talented that paricular day though i gave most credit to the amp. Buying the kenwood/pioneer pair looks next to impossible now unless my friend gifts them to me which is very unlikely. Thank you all for your posts

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts