The WHF Film Club

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Are you going with these four David?

I know Ben said he'd seen two of them, and I've seen one of the others, but other than Under The Skin, have you got any other options?

That's what I came up with in 5 mins (Ben was pushing :)).

I know he's seen a few of them, but I've seen all of them. I'd need to have a skim through my Letterboxd account if you want any alternatives.

It'd be good to get them voted for, but there's no real rush, as we all seem to watch the film at the end of each month, so we just need a bit of time to buy/rent etc.

Have a think, and see if you can come up with 3 or 4 titles in the next week or so.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I'd be interested whether you like Ex Machina.

My local cinema only screened Ex Machina for two weeks.

I've been absurdly busy lately and missed several films I wanted to see -- Ex Machina; Whiplash; Foxcatcher...

I finally awarded myself an evening off and I can state conclusively that It Follows rocks!

It'll probably be a push to find somewhere local screening The Duke of Burgandy...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
I finally awarded myself an evening off and I can state conclusively that It Follows rocks!

Thanks Strapped, I shall be treating my wife to a cinema visit tomorrow night.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Thanks Strapped, I shall be treating my wife to a cinema visit tomorrow night.

Yes, do, and please let me know what you think.

I could write a long post on It Follows, though for now I'll simply point out that the film is near flawless in terms of composition and execution.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Well, just got back from the cinema. I'm not sure 'enjoyed' is the right word, but I do think 'It Follows' is highly original, and incredibly good. I actually felt quite unwell with the tension of the film at times, and of course, there were a couple of 'jump out of your skin and kick the man next to you' moments.

I'd definitely recommend going to see it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Ben, David, Richard & Mike

Any of you thinking about going to see 'It Follows'?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Sounds good (also just heard a very good review of The Duke of Burgundy) and if I made frequent trips to the cinema I definitely would. With a recent average of about once a year it's unlikely!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Tempted to see it this weekend...

You'll definitely like the soundtrack, if not the film.

Have you watched 'The Girl From Nowhere'?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Thought it was meh.

Lots of nods, intended or unintended, subtle or not so subtle, to other films. It's a tribute act of a film, really.

Edit - my ticket was payed for with a voucher I got for Xmas and, in hindsight, I'm glad of that.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
So has everyone watched the film now?

If David watched it yesterday (as he said he would), then yes.

Whoop! Is it Mike to kick off?

David hasn't answered the question yet, though he did say he was going to watch it, and he definitely likes watching films, so there's a good chance he has.

I say go for it, Mike.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I tried to post three times last night, but kept getting refused by the captcha test. It does pee me off that this website seems to be designed to make it so difficult to enjoy oneself. OK rant over.

I have had the slight difficulty that the copies of the film that I have bought, both lacked english subtitles, so I know that I have missed some of the fine detail of the script. Nevertheless, I have a few questions to start the discussions.

1 - I have wondered if the whole film is based around a plot by Dora and her boyfriend, to convince Michel that there are supernatural happenings, and persuade thim to name Dora in his will, at which point Michel is killed off. But this does feel a bit too simplistic.

2 - I'm confused about the ghost that appears out of the cupboard, brandishing a knife. I know that Michel is next seen collapsed on the floor, but there is no blood.

3 - There are many references to the supernatural, plus Freudian theory, and sex etc, so I presume that the film is rich in surrealist elements - which usually makes them harder to understand. *wacko*

4 - The appartement does seem to be filled with a huge number of films, videos, books etc - I wonder if we are meant to take some subtle clue from them all (fiction, storytelling, imagination?).

5 - finally for tonight, Michel does seem to deliberately wait for his murderer at the end of the film, as if he knew what was going to happen. It does make it feel more like a section of a dream, rather than real life.

Over to you guys.....*biggrin*

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The spam filter is blocking me again. Please can the What hifi management sort this software out, because I like so many other posters are fed up with your supposedly "intelligent" spam filter. Was it very cheap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts