The WHF Film Club

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Watched an awful British (I think) horror film the other night on BBC1, Wake Wood, and then a pretty frustrating French film on BBC4 called Goodbye First Love.

Not a great weekend for movies.

Did manage to get the complete box set of the original series of The Prisoner from a charity shop on Saturday, and watched the first episode. Just 16 more to go.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:
It's been over 3 months since I watched the film, I enjoyed it at the time , it's a film I can see me buying or at least renting again.

This makes a positive change from your normal reaction to my choices!

At first I wondered what all the gimmick was with the subtitles and how they were presented, but soon realised it was critical for the film.

I agree, it's quite thought provoking as to how volume and expression and emotion can be represented in writing. Because it's unusual it's quite noticeable at first, but becomes almost subliminal as you get washed into the film.

I really liked the use of back projection even where it obviously wasn't need, and the overall style of the film is a massive tribute to Metropolis not just in visuals but in relationship between father and son, and the comparison between The Voice when she is connected to the machine, and the transformation of Maria in Metropolis.

I found it incredibly striking visually. As I said before, the only film I could really compare it with was Sin City. However, this film wasn't trying to be stylish for the sake of it, on the hand it was integral to the message and on the other it acted as homage to old b & w and silent films. A bit like The Artist in that regards, but obviously related to expressionist films, which I have a soft spot for.

[quotei havent read up on the film, but is it a commentary on the old dictatorship of Argentina, or other nations. The boys helmet had CCCP ON IT. or is it about corporate domination as along with all the products, the constant falling snow is the ash from Mr TVs cigar. [/quote]

I hadn't thought of it specifically in terms of Argentin'a political system, but I guess inevitably the filmmakers must have been influenced by that. I'd already noted the political imagery. Whatever the sepcifics, there's obviously depictions of inequality of power, elite v the people, both in a policitical and a corporate sense (and a cultural / media sense, as it is Mr TV, and he is running the media outlets, and seeks to dominate through them). The expressionist stuff is good at a visual depiction of the emotions attached to those power imbalances.

Also,what's with the Rat Man ?

Yeah, I didn't have a simple answer to that either. Just that makes him especially creepy and unpleasant?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
expat_mike said:
A lot of thought had obviously gone into including as many visual effects as possible, but I didn't understand all of them:

I'm not sure it's fair to say 'as many as possible', that suggests they're indiscrimate, whereas every one that I spotted seemed to have a thought and an intention behind it. There was a lot going on, but it was because there was enormous attention to detail of every possible but of imagery going on. I certainly didn't spot or understand all of them, but that's the beauty of a film that has more to give on repeat watching!

2 - I can understand that the owner was given a sweaty complexion, to signify that he was untrustworthy, and the baddie. But why the painted-on black hair? There must be a reason, because surely it would have been easier for the guy to wear a wig.

Yes, I didn't have a simple answer to this either. My recollection is that the very first time you seem him is on TV and you can't tell it's painted on - so it may be that he is choosing the minimal necessary artifice for the medium on which he will be portrayed? And that he either has no interest in the people he will have personal interactions with and who will notice it or that he knows they could not be disrespectful in any event?

3 - Why did the voice have to wear that headress that obscured the face? was there some symbolism that I didn't understand?

Obscuring her face I guess depersonalises her. The shape of the mask / headress would also appear to have some sexual symbolism!

But when all is said and done, and the visual imagery removed, it was a simple reworking of an everlasting plot. The world is threatened by an evil monster, then an unassuming character is put in a difficult position, and "cometh the hour, cometh the man". This character performs heroic deeds, to defeat the monster, and wins the heart of his princess.

Seems overly harsh if that's a criticism. Even if it is that simple, most films are reworkings of essentially simple plotlines. (Okay, maybe not The Trial!) However, I felt there was a lot more going on. Jaws is not about a shark!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Lang was particularly unhappy with the ending of Metropolis, and I've observed before that the film concludes with perhaps the most offensive platitude in cinema history.

To compare the Metropolis and La antena endings, it's necessary to understand why Lang was so upset by the former film's denouement.

I apologise, as I feel a bit like I'm setting an essay question, which I've no right to do!

I just haven't had a chance to rewatch Metropolis. My best recollection is the rather naff resolution of the 'hands and heart' thing from the beginning of the film. Can you give us a clue?!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Having owned the blu ray for over a year, I thought it was about time that I watched Kick-Ass. Not exactly arthouse I know, but I enjoyed it so much more than say the Dark Knight films, or Scott Pilgrim vs The World (which I genuinely hated), and it also gave the surround system a good work out.

Having heard a few bad things about Kick-Ass 2, I'm not sure I'll be watchingit, but you never know, it might happen, though I doubt I'll be proposing it as one of my film choices.*smile*

I like Kick Ass a lot, although less having watched it a few times a bit less than I first did. I also like Scott Pilgrim too I'm afraid! I've heard Kick Ass 2 is terrible and have no intention of watching it.

The director's new film is Kingsman which is meant to be pretty good but controversial (not sure in quite what way but Kick Ass of course had the c**t controversy). Anyone seen it?

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Watched an awful British (I think) horror film the other night on BBC1, Wake Wood, and then a pretty frustrating French film on BBC4 called Goodbye First Love.

Not a great weekend for movies.

Did manage to get the complete box set of the original series of The Prisoner from a charity shop on Saturday, and watched the first episode. Just 16 more to go.

I have the boxset, I think we got through about six episodes a few years ago but despite thoroughly enjoying it ground to a halt.

Having done Breaking Bad after Christmas 2013, Clodagh and I have been watching The Sopranos this year. We're nearly at the end of season 5. It's some way off being as good as Breaking Bad (although it is picking up in later series) but is pretty moreish, in a soap operay kind of way.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I have the boxset, I think we got through about six episodes a few years ago but despite thoroughly enjoying it ground to a halt.

I think it's gonna be a struggle for me too TBH.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
It seems the discussion of La Antena has come to an end, so I just want to remind you all to watch Mike's film choice 'The Girl From Nowhere' by the end of February (2015) *biggrin*.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2332514/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

I have put this to the top of my lovefilm list, so hopefully should get my hands on it next week.

I ordered a copy the other day, so should arrive within the next few days.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My copy arrived today.

I think it's David's turn to nominate the films next.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Seems overly harsh if that's a criticism. Even if it is that simple, most films are reworkings of essentially simple plotlines. (Okay, maybe not The Trial!) However, I felt there was a lot more going on. Jaws is not about a shark!

It was not meant as a criticism, just an observation. As you point out most films are reworkings of simple plotlines. In the same vein of thought, it is said that there are only 6 or 7 basic plotlines for detective novels, but it is the characterisation/context etc which is used to make them all seem different or "new".

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Watched the first disc of Red Cliff tonight, hopefully I can find time to watch disc 2 tomorrow.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Watched the first disc of Red Cliff tonight, hopefully I can find time to watch disc 2 tomorrow.

Good call. I bought this blu ray pretty recently. Not normally my sort of thing but I saw the first film / part on film 4 a while back and thought it was really well done.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I had a very varied film weekend: The Fault In Our Stars with some friends on Saturday and That Obscure Object of Desire on Sunday. Very different but both very (and for me a little surprisingly) good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
So, so, so. We need some nominations from David. And indeed he hasn't said a single thing about La Antena!

I think he's just too busy watching other films, or buying and listening to records. *smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Thanks for the link. Bit of a mixed bag there but some good stuff. Metropolis is well timed given our discussions. Limitless, The Adjustment Bureau and Source Code are all good.

I think I've seen Source Code, but not sure if I watched it all the way through. I probably did, just can't remember. *blush*

Limitless looks ok, but I might get far too annoyed by Anna Friel; I'll record it and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts