The WHF Film Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Thinking about starting a film club for those members who are interested in the less mainstream side of cinema, specifically, arthouse and world cinema.

I think we will have to limit the club to a maximum of 6 members, with one member per month recommending a film for all members to view during that month, either by renting or buying the film.

Basically, it's like a book club, but with films.

Who'd like to join?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Forgot to say.

Membership is very restricted in numbers, so if you would like to join, you must list 3 films that you would recommend if you were to become a member.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
As per other thread, I'm in.

Watched Leon Morin, Pretre last week, fantastic. Have been brushing up on a bit of French cinema so would also recommend The 400 Blows and Pickpocket. These are probably fairly mainstream for world cinema but I've never watched many French films.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
As per other thread, I'm in.

Watched Leon Morin, Pretre last week, fantastic. Have been brushing up on a bit of French cinema so would also recommend The 400 Blows and Pickpocket. These are probably fairly mainstream for world cinema but I've never watched many French films.

Dear Sir,

I am pleased to inform you that your application for membership of the WHF Film Club has been successful.
grin.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Ta boss. Now how much are the subs?

Just the cost of renting/buying the movie of the month.

Of course, I could fast track you to the top of the pile for choosing the first film of the month, but I'm not cheap.
grin.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I think this four movies are not so mainstream:

- Night Train to Lisbon

- The Intouchable

- Monsieur Lazhar

- A Late Quartet

:cheers:

Well done sir, your membership has also been accepted, please await further instructions.
smile.png

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Btw can we have a rule that the film must be available on lovefilm? I'm doing my best to avoid buying any new films unless I've watched them and class them as good enough for multiple viewing. Personal circumstances also mean my cinema trips are extremely limited.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

We have 3 members, only 3 places left.

Strapped!!!!!!??????

OK. 2 places left, I'm pretty sure Strapped is up for it, so I'll reserve a place at the table until he either confirms, or says otherwise.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
Btw can we have a rule that the film must be available on lovefilm? I'm doing my best to avoid buying any new films unless I've watched them and class them as good enough for multiple viewing. Personal circumstances also mean my cinema trips are extremely limited.

Once we have all 6 members, we'll all have a chance to create the rules, then go from there.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't have Lovefilm, I think there is no need to limitate to one service provider :hand: , i don't go to video clubs or to the cinema for that matter, i watch all my movies from the on line video club of my cable service. :?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I don't have Lovefilm, I think there is no need to limitate to one service provider :hand: , i don't go to video clubs or to the cinema for that matter, i watch all my movies from the on line video club of my cable service. :?

Ben just means that any film that we recommend must be on Lovefilm, or it would be better for him if it was, you don't need to be a member of Love film, I'm not.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Pretty much every contemporary film which is out for rental will be available on lovefilm. What made it occur to me was Night Train to Lisbon, which looks like it may not have a rental release yet. I wouldn't be able to watch that (yet). Also, some more obscure older films are not on lovefilm.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Ben just means that any film that we recommend must be on Lovefilm, or it would be better for him if it was, you don't need to be a member of Love film, I'm not.

I understood what Ben suggested, I think we shouldn't limit the suggestions to one video operator, some films can stay out in that case... Just saying... :roll:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I understood what Ben suggested, I think we shouldn't limit the suggestions to one video operator, some films can stay out in that case... Just saying... :roll:

I understand, but we have to be fair to all members, and just because a film is not on Lovefilm (or another provider) one month, doesn't mean it will not be available later on.

I would propose that the member who's turn it is could recommend 3 films each month, then the other members can vote for which one they would like to see.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DandyCobalt said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I think we will have to limit the club to a maximum of 6 members
You could even roll up a trouser leg and have a secret handshake :)

I don't know those films, are you applying?
grin.gif

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

I understand, but we have to be fair to all members, and just because a film is not on Lovefilm (or another provider) one month, doesn't mean it will not be available later on.

I would propose that the member who's turn it is could recommend 3 films each month, then the other members can vote for which one they would like to see.

Ok! I agree with that...!

Here is a secret handshake. :cheers: :beer: :cheers: :beer: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :cheers: :beer: :cheers: ;)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Count me in (at least in principle).

I'm absurdly busy at the moment, however, and likely to remain so, so I might not be able to devote as much time to this as people would like. On that basis, others should probably decide if they'd like me to participate. Another potential member might miss out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts