The WHF Film Club

Page 140 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
So the nomination for next month is Us Three or Nothing.

Actually, it's this month. *smile*

David did make a start with the discussion of 'Biutiful', so we should try and add something. I'll have a little think and see what I can add.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Actually, it's this month. *smile*

Correct in theory - but even if I order the disc today, the odds of it arriving before May are slim. *sorry2*

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
David did make a start with the discussion of 'Biutiful', so we should try and add something. I'll have a little think and see what I can add.

I started to watch the film, but never got to the end - so i will make an effort to do so asap.

I did have the issue that the box says my copy of the film has both french and english language versions, but i can only find the french language and subtitles in the menu. I can understand enough to get the gist of the film, but the mental challenge means that I avoided watching the whole film in one sitting.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I did have the issue that the box says my copy of the film has both french and english language versions, but i can only find the french language and subtitles in the menu. I can understand enough to get the gist of the film, but the mental challenge means that I avoided watching the whole film in one sitting.

I have Amazon Prime and watched it through that. Can you get that or Netflix in France?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have now watched the rest of 'Biutiful'.

I think that David did a good summary of the film.

The film does well, to transform Badem from an individual involved in illegal activities, to someone you do care about by the end of the film. The film also makes you care about the fate of his children, and to a lesser extent his wife/ex-wife, but it is inevitably ambiguous how the future does turn out for them.

Regarding the opening/closing sections, I interpreted the opening section as Badem playing with his grown up son, and the closing section as Badems dead father coming to collect his soul. Was my interpretation correct, or have I missed something?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
Regarding the opening/closing sections, I interpreted the opening section as Badem playing with his grown up son, and the closing section as Badems dead father coming to collect his soul. Was my interpretation correct, or have I missed something?

I probably need to have another look at it, but I think the end and the beginning are basically the same, and it is his father (or is it grandfather) that has come to take him to heaven.

I did watch another film last night, but it was longer than I thought it was going to be, and I fell asleep. It was a French film called 'A Prophet', and I was quite engrossed in it until I dropped off, but I will try to finish watching it at some point this week.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:

I probably need to have another look at it, but I think the end and the beginning are basically the same, and it is his father (or is it grandfather) that has come to take him to heaven.

I did watch another film last night, but it was longer than I thought it was going to be, and I fell asleep. It was a French film called 'A Prophet', and I was quite engrossed in it until I dropped off, but I will try to finish watching it at some point this week.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

i will bear 'A Prophet' in mind. maybe the opening and closing sections are the same, but are we meant to interpret them differently, because of our different levels of knowledge about Badem, when we see these two sections?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
i will bear 'A Prophet' in mind. maybe the opening and closing sections are the same, but are we meant to interpret them differently, because of our different levels of knowledge about Badem, when we see these two sections?

Do keep 'A Prophet' in mind, I certainly liked it whilst I was awake *biggrin*, and the reviews on Imdb are very positive.

As for 'Biutiful', I may be remembering things incorrectly, so I'll have another look at the first and last 10 minutes or so. I did enjoy it as a film though, even despite it's rather depressing subject matter.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Not surprised - it is fairly lengthy. Good film though.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gearing myself up for a Bond marathon starting Thursday, continuing over the bank holiday weekend, and then on until I've got through the whole box set and ending up with Spectre. I know the latter isn't supposed to be great, but I've had the box set for long enough now and I still haven't watched it. I haven't even seen Quantum Of Solace (another weak one apparently), and there may be one or two films over the years I've never seen, and some I've not seen for decades. Quite looking forward to seeing them all back to back and seeing how the whole thing evolves.

Then I've got the X Files box set to get through - never seen any of them!
embaressed_smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
Then I've got the X Files box set to get through - never seen any of them!

I, and more especially my wife are working our way though all the seasons - we're on season 4, episode 12 now. It's a bit hit and miss, season 1 is good, but it definitely improves in season 2, but there are some ropey episodes in every season to be honest. When it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it can be quite annoyingly so.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The main reason I want to watch them is similar to why I like The Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits - where so many films have been based on those episodes, it seems many of the X Files are based on ideas from many films. I like alien stuff too :)

Ooh, for those that are interested, Cineworld are showing Alien and Aliens back to back on Tuesday (American date, 4 26, as in LV426). I'm going to see Alien, but Aliens will finish after my last train home, so I'll either have to leave early or not watch Aliens at all. I'm quite happy just seeing Alien on the big screen - I was too young first time round.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
it seems many of the X Files are based on ideas from many films.

That's true, and they're really quite obvious sometimes. I can't remember all of them, but there was definitely one which very similar to 'The Thing'.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
My copy of 'us three or nothing' arrived yesterday. How are the rest of you getting on with obtaining copies?

I'm hoping I'll find it on one of my boxes. I'll have a look later.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
My copy of 'us three or nothing' arrived yesterday. How are the rest of you getting on with obtaining copies?

I'm struggling. It's on one of my boxes, but I can't stream it at the moment, and even if I do manage to stream it and some point, there will probably be no English subtitles. I've found a DVD at over £40, and a Blu Ray at over £20, and I don't really want to spend that much to be honest. I'm a bit stuck.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought the bluray from amazon.fr, but the disk has english version and subtitles. It was cheaper than the DVD.

https://www.amazon.fr/Nous-trois-ou-rien-Blu-ray/dp/B017XO07SU

click on the neuf 12.19 euros, and hopefully the postage is not too much.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, I haven't posted for a bit. Watched Biutiful and thought it was a great film.

Genuinely touched by the death of the Chinese workers. But the lead going out and buying those dodgy heaters had me cringing. He was a good man doing wrong things for the right reasons.

He seemed to genuinely cared for his children and others but didn't seem aware that there was another way.

Like bbb, I'm having trouble locating the current fil ice used the JUSTWATCH app but it can't find it. There are a couple of links on YouTube but they won't play past the Universal logo. I'll order the DVD in Mikes link.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
See what the others think, but I'm happy to stick with the nominated film. I've watched a trailer and it looks really good.

Ill give the YouTube links another try and if no luck I'll buy it.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
I'll order the DVD in Mikes link.

I originally intended to order the DVD, but then i noticed that the Bluray was only 1c more expensive - so i opted for the Blu ray.

Looks like there is a much bigger price difference on the Amazon UK site.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
I've ordered the DVD from Amazon uk (£12.93). I have Prime so it should be here tomorrow.

I've just found that. I'd have liked it cheaper TBH, but if I can't get the film to play on my little box, I'll order this.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
My copy arrived yesterday, so I'll watch it today.

BBB, if you haven't got a copy yet, you can borrow mine.

Thanks for the offer Richard, that's very kind. I'll let you know....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts