The WHF Film Club

Page 69 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I do want to see The Double though, as I do like Richard Ayoade, and thoroughly enjoyed Submarine.

Though it feels very much like Ayoade's creating facsimiles of Wes Anderson films.

I'd hoped Ayoade would do something different after Submarine. While I haven't seen The Doubles, the clips and trailers I've seen suggest Ayoade's sticking with the same style and themes.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I keep seeing clips for this new Fargo tv series starting on Channel 4 soon., I'm a a massive fan of the film, but I'm totally undecided whether to watch it or not. :?

Anyone got any thoughts?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
Have any of the club members watched the new film Calvary ? It sounds complex and full of dark humour.

We are waiting for it to appear in France, but I know that it has opened in the UK.

Looks a good film Mike, and it's just opened in the UK, but has not reached sunny Milton Keynes yet.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:
Have any of the club members watched the new film Calvary ? It sounds complex and full of dark humour.

We are waiting for it to appear in France, but I know that it has opened in the UK.

Looks a good film Mike, and it's just opened in the UK, but has not reached sunny Milton Keynes yet.

If it's anything like The Guard it'll be superb. The Guard is one of the funniest films of the last five years.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:

I refuse to watch any TV series based on a highly rated film. When I see trailers for these new TV series', it just annoys me, as its like they're just cashing in on existing ideas because they have no ideas of their own to produce something new and exciting.

It also annoyed me when Robert Rodriguez said that the From Dusk Till Dawn series was better than the film. I'm not being suckered into watching it as there's no way you can replace George Clooney (even if you can successfully replace Quentin Tarantino). It's like following up Michael Keaton with Val Kilmer as Batman...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I finally got round to watching 12 Years a Slave last night (my local multiplex offered a "second chance" screening).

I thought it was exceptional, not least due to the filmmakers' restraint.

Based on reviews and general commentary, I was anticipating two and half hours of whippings, beatings, and sadism; and while one scene was notable for its protracted brutality, little immediate violence was shown.

I was also concerned that the subject matter would be cheapened by appeals to the Academy. Instead, I thought there were moments of great understatement, notably a subtle breaking of the fourth wall roughly two-thirds through.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
Just watched The Hunt. Terrific.

Terrific indeed. Now you should watch A Royal Affair.

Watched it. Enjoyable, if a little po-faced for my liking (though somewhat to be expected). Mads Mikkelsen very good, but having seen three of his films now, I think he may be a bit monotonal, albeit a good note :)

Interesting to see in this and The Hunt the appearance of two actors from The Killing - Denmark must have a small acting pool.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I refuse to watch any TV series based on a highly rated film. When I see trailers for these new TV series', it just annoys me, as its like they're just cashing in on existing ideas because they have no ideas of their own to produce something new and exciting.

I'm presuming your comment was aimed at Fargo, but you quoted the wrong text. :)

I'm still undecided about watching the tv series.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm presuming your comment was aimed at Fargo, but you quoted the wrong text. :)

I'm still undecided about watching the tv series.

Oops. You are correct :)

I thought so.

Fargo's very high in my favourite films list, so I'm definitely interested in seeing the tv series, but I'd hate it to be absolute sh*te and stain my love for the film.

Think I'm going to watch it though. :pray:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2802850/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

It's looking good.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'd hate it to be absolute sh*te and stain my love for the film.

I think this is only a problem when a spin off, sequel, or prequel interferes with (or remodels) existing narratives or characters.

For instance, if the TV show revealed that Marge was secretly a serial killer, this would ruin our perception of her character in the film (specifically because Marge is positioned as the film's moral centre, in contrast with the loser kidnappers).

Hopefully the TV show doesn't mess with the original narrative, as I think it's about an entirely different set of characters, but of course set in the same area of Minnesota.

I'll be giving it a go, anyway...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
I think it's about an entirely different set of characters, but of course set in the same area of Minnesota.

I'll be giving it a go, anyway...

I'm definitely feeling more positive about it's quality, and I'm increasingly looking forward to it. The Sky box and Freesat box is set. :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The Sky box and Freesat box is set. :)

You're expecting it to be so good that it's worth recording twice! (Maybe you're planning a back-up recording, just in case.)

It's sounding pretty good, to be honest, though I'm now wishing I'd read a little less about the pilot episode's narrative.

I'm hoping the series doesn't become so successful that we end up with multiple seasons, which tail off in quality until audiences lose interest. I'm guessing FX's need for viewers and advertising revenues will win out.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
You're expecting it to be so good that it's worth recording twice! (Maybe you're planning a back-up recording, just in case.)

It's for when I finally cancel Sky, plus there's more room on the Freesat box hard drive. :)

strapped for cash said:
I'm hoping the series doesn't become so successful that we end up with multiple seasons, which tail off in quality until audiences lose interest. I'm guessing FX's need for viewers and advertising revenues will win out.

It's quite possible, but I'm hoping with the Coen Bros on board, it won't happen.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I'm hoping with the Coen Bros on board, it won't happen.

I'm not entirely sure how "on board" Joel and Ethan are.

Assuming FX (meaning Fox) owns the rights, new writers, actors and crew could be brought in until the show's no longer a money spinner.

FX was also behind Dexter, which carried on far longer than it should have.

I'm probably being cynical because I've spent too long studying entertainment industries. Like youselves, I'm hoping it'll be really good. And even if it stretches into several seasons, this doesn't automatically mean the show's quality will decrease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts