The WHF Film Club

Page 31 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
They do call me Sherlock, so I'm guessing you've seen it.

Your ability to intuit is indeed unparalleled!
smiley-smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
So we need to hear from Monsieur Duncan. My memory is pretty sieve-like at the moment, so could do with having the discussion as close to watching the film as possible!

What film? :?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
So we need to hear from Monsieur Duncan. My memory is pretty sieve-like at the moment, so could do with having the discussion as close to watching the film as possible!

What film? :?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Am wondering whether to read it before, after or during...

You'd need to be particularly dexterous to go with the last option. Before might make the most sense.

EDIT: not that I'm questioning your dexterity; I just think it'd be difficult for anyone to concentrate on screen and script simultaneously, without losing flow.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I have the screenplay in English. Am wondering whether to read it before, after or during...

You've come up trumps, and inspired me to download the screenplay as well.

I suggest that you follow a similar process to me.

1 - I watched the film with the french subtitles on - and could understand 90% of the film at a first pass (you may manage better, with A - Level french).

2 - I watched it again, but paused the film and checked using Google translate, for some of the words that I missed on the first pass. You have the option to use the screenplay.

3 - I was going to watch three key sections again, and check with Google translate, that I had not misunderstood the film. I shall now just read the appropriate sections of the screenplay. You won't need step 3.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
JD,

I've just read through the screenplay, and it has filled in those last few gaps in my understanding of the film.

If you watch the film first with the french subtitles, then read the screenplay, you should be able to picture in your mind who was saying what, and their body language at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS