The WHF Film Club

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
SFC

I mentioned in one of the early posts, about researchers trying to record/understand how the brain responds to visual stimuli and the emotions that they generate.

I have now found the details of some of the work, available at http://gallantlab.org/publications/nishimoto-et-al-2011.html

Thanks for the link Mike.

I had a quick read and it seems the researchers are interested in understanding human optical function, rather than how visual media stimulate areas of the brain linked with emotion. Thankfully such research is of no use to propagandists!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I watched Fish Tank last night, a low budget, earthy working class drama.

Was OK, but not something I'd not watch again.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Lazhar not Lahzar. I've had mine a few days, not had a chance to watch it yet. I did watch Haxan on Friday. Also watched The Impossible and Kill List, may be worth some discussion if people have seen.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Lazhar not Lahzar.

According to referencing conventions, film titles should be italicised to distinguish them from accompanying prose, if we're being that picky! :O

BenLaw said:
I did watch Haxan on Friday.

With economy of prose in mind, "I watched" makes for terser and livelier phrasing. ;)

BenLaw said:
Also watched The Impossible and Kill List, may be worth some discussion if people have seen.

I haven't seen The Impossible, but we can certainly discuss Haxan and Kill List. I've work to do this evening, however, so I probably won't check on the thread for a few hours.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
Lazhar not Lahzar.

According to referencing conventions, film titles should be italicised to distinguish them from accompanying prose, if we're being that picky! :O

Well aware of that. If you can tell me how to write italics on this forum when on an iPhone then I shall comply. Otherwise, you can tell when I've posted on this thread from my computer because you'll see I've italicised.

BenLaw said:
I did watch Haxan on Friday.

With economy of prose in mind, "I watched" makes for terser and livelier phrasing. ;)

Now that's picky! Also a stylistic distinction and therefore open to subjectivity, whereas misspelling a film title is pretty objective. In any event, it was a deliberate choice as in my earlier post re Haxan I'd said I hadn't watched it yet but planned to over the weekend. So, it was meant to say, 'I did indeed watch Haxan, as I'd said I intended to.'

BenLaw said:
Also watched The Impossible and Kill List, may be worth some discussion if people have seen.

I haven't seen The Impossible, but we can certainly discuss Haxan and Kill List. I've work to do this evening, however, so I probably won't check on the thread for a few hours.

Cool. I've got some work to do too and also my book club book to finish for tomorrow but I'd appreciate your input on those. I know JD has watched The Impossible. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it but it is interesting in the context of the manipulation test you've formulated.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I know JD has watched The Impossible. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't like it but it is interesting in the context of the manipulation test you've formulated.

I didn't rush to watch The Impossible, if only because the title suggests that miracles happen, which makes the story ripe for mawkish exploitation and contemplations of faith. (Perhaps this is what you're getting at with your prediction that I wouldn't like the film.)

On the other hand, my Mulholland Drive obsession means I'll watch most things starring Naomi Watts, despite her Diana clanger. (I don't think I can suffer that at any point. I'd even avoid TV screenings.)

I'll ponder what to say about Haxan and Kill List tomorrow, at which point my brain might be better functioning.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
The Piano Teacher.

That'll leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling!

It's one of Haneke's best films, featuring an exceptional performance from Isabelle Huppert, though it's far from life affirming stuff.

For those upset by Haneke's self reflexive approach, and suggestions of audience complicity in screen violence,* The Piano Teacher plays it straight, focusing on disturbing aspects of sexuality rather than the nature of film spectatorship.

* For what it's worth, I don't share Kermode's outrage in this regard.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

How's everyone getting on with watching Monsieur Lahzar?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Myself and HFO have definitely seen it, Mike possibly has, but I'm unsure whether Strapped and JD even have copies yet.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I haven't got it yet, FYI. Somebody at work (>50% French) has promised it to me this week, having forgotten it thus far...

Will it be the version with English sub-titles?

I bought the version with French sub-titles, but that wasn't a problem for me. I can read French well enough to pick up 90% of the meaning during the first viewing, and most of the rest using a dictionary during the second viewing. However there are three sequences within the film, which I need to view again, just to make sure that I understand them properly.

It may seem a lot of effort to understand a film, but the multiple viewings benefit both my understanding of the film, and help to improve my grasp of French. :)

John Duncan

expat_mike said:
John Duncan said:
I haven't got it yet, FYI. Somebody at work (>50% French) has promised it to me this week, having forgotten it thus far...

I bought the version with French sub-titles, but that wasn't a problem for me. I can read French well enough to pick up 90% of the meaning during the first viewing, and most of the rest using a dictionary during the second viewing. However there are three sequences within the film, which I need to view again, just to make sure that I understand them properly.

It may seem a lot of effort to understand a film, but the multiple viewings benefit both my understanding of the film, and help to improve my grasp of French. :)

That hadn't crossed my mind tbh...:-/

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
expat_mike said:
John Duncan said:

That's the spirit! :grin:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I will try and find time to watch it tomorrow. Sounds like strapped has a pretty busy weekend. Not sure whether JD has it.

The DVD finally landed on my doormat yesterday AM; though I've no idea when I'll find the time to watch it. As you say, this weekend is out of the question and I'll be busy next week catching up with work...

I'll try to set a couple of hours aside over the coming week.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
That'll leave you with a warm and fuzzy feeling!

It's one of Haneke's best films, featuring an exceptional performance from Isabelle Huppert, though it's far from life affirming stuff.

For those upset by Haneke's self reflexive approach, and suggestions of audience complicity in screen violence,* The Piano Teacher plays it straight, focusing on disturbing aspects of sexuality rather than the nature of film spectatorship.

did you mean fuzzy as in confused?

I agree that "The Piano Teacher plays it straight", but I am not sure whether the focus is on sexuality, or on the way that peoples personalities can pull them in two directions but only one direction can "win" (eg the way in which half her personality would desperately like a submissive sexual relationship, but the other half of her personality wants to be in control of all situations, even to the point of rejecting advances).

I'm also confused at the self harm at the end of the film, unless it is just meant to bookend the film. :quest:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
did you mean fuzzy as in confused?

I didn't mean that the film will leave you confused; I was really pointing out that the film is far from life affirming.

expat_mike said:
I agree that "The Piano Teacher plays it straight", but I am not sure whether the focus is on sexuality, or on the way that peoples personalities can pull them in two directions but only one direction can "win" (eg the way in which half her personality would desperately like a submissive sexual relationship, but the other half of her personality wants to be in control of all situations, even to the point of rejecting advances).

I'm also confused at the self harm at the end of the film, unless it is just meant to bookend the film. :quest:

This is worth a read:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2003/26/michael-haneke/piano_teacher/

It seems the essay was written by an undergraduate (or perhaps MA) student; though Senses of Cinema is a pretty good open access resource. I think the author overplays the "forcing the audience to reflect on their voyeuristic position" angle, since this is much truer of Haneke's other films. However, I agree with what's said about the film's protagonist.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
This is worth a read:

http://sensesofcinema.com/2003/26/michael-haneke/piano_teacher/

It seems the essay was written by an undergraduate (or perhaps MA) student; though Senses of Cinema is a pretty good open access resource. I think the author overplays the "forcing the audience to reflect on their voyeuristic position" angle, since this is much truer of Haneke's other films. However, I agree with what's said about the film's protagonist.

Thanks SFC, that's an interesting analysis. I too feel that the author "overplays the "forcing the audience to reflect on their voyeuristic position" angle". The audience is watching the performances, but it is no more voyeuristic than watching the mental breakdown of the lead character in Betty Blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS