The WHF Film Club

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Bear in mind JD did his A level approx 35 years ago.

Ooh, I didn't realise that it was that long ago. :O

What will be true, is that if he reads the screenplay first, he will be unable to visualise who is saying which sentence, and what their body language/context is.

I still think he will understand the film best if he watches the film, with the subtitles first. Maybe he will need to watch the film twice, in order to fully get the characters in his mind, and help with visualisation when he reads the screenplay.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
Bear in mind JD did his A level approx 35 years ago.

Steady. 30...

When I first joined the company I'm with I was in a meeting and spoke some French (it's very French) and then the meeting went back to English, and at the end somebody complimented me on my English accent...

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
and at the end somebody complimented me on my English accent...

That can be taken as an insult, if you are Irish, Welsh or Scottish. :)

Luckily our company policy is that English should be spoken for office work, but French at other times (including dinner).

But you get used to having to think in two languages, plus a fair bit of Franglais.

And we often have interesting discussions about language, during our breaks for cafe. During the past week I had to explain the use of UK phrases such as "raining cats and dogs" and "coming down like stair-rods".

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Admittedly JD's been rather quiet.

Perhaps he's working through the script as we speak, or holding the script in one hand and a remote control in the other.

Who knew film club membership could demand such ambidexterity.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Admittedly JD's been rather quiet.

Perhaps he's working through the script as we speak, or holding the script in one hand and a remote control in the other.

Who knew film club membership could demand such ambidexterity.

Yes indeed - but we did have one of the initial goals for the club, to be educational.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Is JD on holiday or something?

If we don't start the discussion soon, I'll have forgotten the name of the film, let alone any details. :doh:

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Tenby, or little town of the fishes, or little fortress of the fish.

Indeed; though I've no idea what this has to do with Monsieur Lazhar, or the film club thread more generally. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Don't get me wrong, contributions are welcome, but it'd be nice if they some bearing on the subject under discussion.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, lets start the discussion on this one! :grin:

like i've said, I was hopping that the "Train the Vie" might have won, for two reasons, 1) it is a funny film, come out of a very heathy brain 2) it was a film watched recently... ;)

I didn't made time to watch ML again, so fell free to refresh my mind!

It has a very unorthodox and shocking start!

A primary school teacher is found hanged by a 10 years old boy in the class room!

What were the intetions of the teachers act...? Why there and not at home?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Tenby, or little town of the fishes, or little fortress of the fish.

Indeed; though I've no idea what this has to do with Monsieur Lazhar, or the film club thread more generally. Perhaps I'm missing something.

Don't get me wrong, contributions are welcome, but it'd be nice if they some bearing on the subject under discussion.

Think about it Strapped.

As I said, Shewl Tunc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts