The WHF Film Club

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Right. I haven't seen Black Narcissus for many years and wouldn't have expected a comparison, so I will have to rewatch that. I also don't know Psycho well enough to comment on such detail; I don't think I actually own a copy.

They're both essential Blu-ray purchases, in my opinion. (If you haven't already.) Cheap, too, if you shop around.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
So I believe. I'm not complaining about her double's. It does look a little less toned than her, er, front though. There's a lot more of her, er, front in this version than I recall.

She gets genuinely cross about it interview.

Do you mean more, or more crisply presented footage? I fear this thread's descending into a "Flesh of the Stars" style pervathon.

It has. I don't remember as much footage as this before, but it may just have been the additional quality which has left more of an impression, or the increased embarrassment factor of having watched it with a teenager present (role reversal of watching stuff with your parents).

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
Right. I haven't seen Black Narcissus for many years and wouldn't have expected a comparison, so I will have to rewatch that. I also don't know Psycho well enough to comment on such detail; I don't think I actually own a copy.

They're both essential Blu-ray purchases, in my opinion. (If you haven't already.) Cheap, too, if you shop around.

I've held fire on Hitchcock purchases just because of an irrational hope of a more complete boxset than that which is available at present. I should just pull the trigger on the good one of the two but I fear I'm buying many of the films to have them rather than because they're great. North by Northwest, Rear Window and Rope are my favourites, I respect rather than like some of the others.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BenLaw said:
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:
You edited your post before I replied. I can't remember which version of Straw Dogs I have. What is the difference between the US and UK versions?

To the best of my knowledge, the cuts are no different, but the US release's video quality is substantially better. They really ****** up the UK Blu-ray.

Ok. That rings a vague bell that I may have bought the US one but I'm not sure.

Hmm, I think I have the shite UK version. IIRC (sorry) it was one of my early blu ray purchases before I had much sense.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
It has. I don't remember as much footage as this before, but it may just have been the additional quality which has left more of an impression, or the increased embarrassment factor of having watched it with a teenager present (role reversal of watching stuff with your parents).

:oops:

That can happen in assorted company. Wildlife documentaries have caused many an unsuspecting viewer to shift uncomfortably about the sofa, or decide it's time to make a cup of tea.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
BenLaw said:

:oops:

That can happen in assorted company. Wildlife documentaries have caused many an unsuspecting viewer to shift uncomfortably about the sofa, or decide it's time to make a cup of tea.

No no, making a cup of tea or indeed moving one's head more than two degrees in any direction would be a sign that one was uncomfortable!

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
I've held fire on Hitchcock purchases just because of an irrational hope of a more complete boxset than that which is available at present. I should just pull the trigger on the good one of the two but I fear I'm buying many of the films to have them rather than because they're great. North by Northwest, Rear Window and Rope are my favourites, I respect rather than like some of the others.

I've never been crazy about Hitchcock. I respect Rope more than enjoy it, largely for logistical reasons. I always thought Vertigo was particularly silly, despite a great Saul Bass title sequence.

I own the Hitchcock DVD box set. So far I've only purchased Psycho, North by Northwest, and The Birds on Blu-ray. I not an ardent fan of Hitchcock's earlier films, either, which is probably sacrilege, but there you go...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Do you like The Birds?

And, given we both like Toby Jones, did you watch The Girl?

I like The Birds a lot; and not for Tippi Hedren's performance. It's another interesting film in terms of cinematic space (i.e. Melanie's lusting for Mitch wreaks havoc on Bodega Bay).

I didn't see The Girl, though I read that Hitch didn't come out of it very well.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
SFC says:

However, Grant argues that transgressions must be punished and the dominant social order restored by these films' conclusions. Grant doesn't discuss The Wicker Man, but I find it an interesting film because it fails to conform to the latter rule. Aside from a literal "Paganism vs. Christianity" reading of the film, Summerisle is a place where our repressed impulses (sexual impulses especially) are granted free expression.

I probably saw The Wicker Man (original version) about two years ago. I had recently seen a program about writing detective fiction/tv programs - and I remembered some author saying that there was a social norm, that the bad elements weren't allowed to benefit from their actions (so the thieves, murderers etc always got caught, or died). I remember thinking that The Wicker Man seemed not to follow that social norm, because Howie (representing the forces of law and order) was sacrificed.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm going to try and watch LQV tonight, as I'll be away working all week, and I need to spend next weend trying to get my turntable fixed, and also ring John Lewis about the dse on my GT50. I've also noticed another little problem with the tv, actually, not so little, so it's time to get it sorted.

Anyway, back on subject. HFO, have you decided on your 3 choices yet?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
What else is up with your TV?

I noticed today while watching football that the centre third had a browny/reddy tint to it. I thought it was the pitch at first, but as the camera panned across the pitch, it was always that section that looked more brown. I then started the scrolling bar, and there is definitely a slight tint to the white in the centre third, and on the left of the screen, the dse mainly affects the right hand side, so the tint is where the dse isn't.

It's faint, but it is there, and I can't say I'd noticed it before. I'll give JL a chance to sort it, but I can't see how they'll be able to. So it looks possible that I'll be looking at a replacement, and as much as I love plasma, I think I'm going to go lcd.

I really wish I'd kept my Kuro.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I probably saw The Wicker Man (original version) about two years ago. I had recently seen a program about writing detective fiction/tv programs - and I remembered some author saying that there was a social norm, that the bad elements weren't allowed to benefit from their actions (so the thieves, murderers etc always got caught, or died). I remember thinking that The Wicker Man seemed not to follow that social norm, because Howie (representing the forces of law and order) was sacrificed.

I wonder if the programme you watched was discussing the Production Code (or "Hays Code"), which stipulated (among other things) that criminals should not be seen to benefit from ill-deeds. The Production Code was replaced by the ratings system in 1968, because it had become increasingly irrelevant, while numerous films contravened its rules on sexual and violent content. (Think Bonnie and Clyde and The Graduate, which seem tame by today's standards, but really pushed the boundaries of acceptable on-screen content at the time of their release.)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I noticed today while watching football that the centre third had a browny/reddy tint to it. I thought it was the pitch at first, but as the camera panned across the pitch, it was always that section that looked more brown. I then started the scrolling bar, and there is definitely a slight tint to the white in the centre third, and on the left of the screen, the dse mainly affects the right hand side, so the tint is where the dse isn't.

It's faint, but it is there, and I can't say I'd noticed it before. I'll give JL a chance to sort it, but I can't see how they'll be able to. So it looks possible that I'll be looking at a replacement, and as much as I love plasma, I think I'm going to go lcd.

I really wish I'd kept my Kuro.

I'm on a similar page.

The problem is, I can't live with inherent LED problems, torching and poor viewing angles especially.

As I stated on another thread, I want my V20 back. The F8500 might be a viable solution, BBB. We should probably discuss this on another thread.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've now watched LQV.

Have you got a similar problem with your VT Strapped?

I mentioned to my wife that I may have to get a Samsung, she muttered something (probably not very complimentary) in Japanese, then that was subject closed. If I have to, I have to, and she'll just have to deal with it, though I'd rather keep the peace with a Japanese tv.

Let's move on to here. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/tvs-and-projectors/another-tx-p50gt50-threadis-there-anyone-happy-with-the-tv?page=1#comment-2881534

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Anyway, back on subject. HFO, have you decided on your 3 choices yet?

I have a few more days, don't I?

I think I need two days... It's that alright?

:cheers:

No problem.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I watched Le Quattro Volte last night. Though I can say no more right now, there was no head banging at any point.

I'd urge people to watch the interview as well, which was one of the more engaging special features I've seen. (Most are padding and hyperbole in my view.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS