The WHF Film Club

Page 136 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't seen Spoorloos for about 20 years, but it still gives me shivers when I think about it. Good choice, everyone. Hopefully my old recorded-off-the-telly-onto-video-tape-and-then-transferred-to-DVD-a-few-years-later copy will still work...

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Hopefully my old recorded-off-the-telly-onto-video-tape-and-then-transferred-to-DVD-a-few-years-later copy will still work...

It's on You Tube, if not.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

thescarletpronster said:
Good choice, everyone.

Once Mike and Richard had said they hadn't seen it, I decided they must, so I'm really pleased it's been chosen.

I also haven't seen it for some time, but nowhere near 20 years.*smile*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
Is it worth £20+ on Bluray? I like to buy Blurays where I can, and if it's a good film, I'd rather pay that than £7-10 for a DVD.

I presume the Criterion issue is THE one to watch BBB?

Blu Ray review here

I think the Criterion Blu Ray is the only Blu Ray available. I only have a Nouveaux Pictures DVD, which isn't the best, so I would have thought either the DVD or Blu Ray from Criterion would be an improvement.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I finally found time to watch Kairo (Pulse), which I liked a lot. You should give it a go, BBB.

There's a computer programme depicted part way through the film, with dots that are obliterated if they move too closely together, or too far apart. This programme becomes an overarching framing device, as characters wander in and out of shot, or are isolated in the frame.

It was interesting, when watching Kairo, to reflect on Survive Style 5+ (the first FC nomination), and to consider sociological readings and observations on Japanese culture. Both engage with the subject of social isolation and suicide.

I also promised to respond to thescarletpronster on our Breaking Bad discussion. I promise (again) to reply soon!

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:
My copy of Mysterious Skin turned up today, so I'll watch tomorrow night :)

I started watching it on Saturday, but I had a few problems with the stream, so gave up. I'll watch it over the next few days

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
I finally found time to watch Kairo (Pulse), which I liked a lot. You should give it a go, BBB.

Have we discussed this before, it sounds familiar?

Anyway, I'll look it up. Thanks.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Apologies to all. I've been ridden with flu for the last 4 days, so haven't been able to do anything other than lie down and complain at how ill I feel. I will do my best to watch 'Mysterious Skin' this week.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:
The problem I had was not that I expected Breaking Bad to be similar in tone to The Wire, but that I expected it, because of the immense amount of hype (most of it, it has to be said, by word of mouth) that preceded my viewing of it. I expected it not to be realist, but to be superior to other examples of its type, rather than being (as it is) just another run-of-the-mill, albeit glossy and high budget, over-the-top sensationalist drama.

I promised I'd respond and sorry it's taken so long!

In many ways I'd agree with your choice of adjectives. Unlike yourself (if I read your post correctly), I celebrate these characteristics, whereas you use these terms pejoratively in way that makes a clear high-brow/low-brow cultural distinction.

In this sense, The Wire is cast as a show for discerning viewers (a televisual novel, if you will), while Breaking Bad is regarded as an expression of mass or low-brow culture.

I know you're not making quite so clear a distinction, and we can point to examples from each show that muddle such classification, but I'd still contend that audiences make value judgements on such terms.

I guess I'm saying I'm comfortable with the low-brow or middle-brow, which doesn't mean you have to agree, or that you'd be right or wrong to do so.

thescarletpronster said:
The one comparison I made in my comment was with The Sopranos, which was a more similar type of drama and therefore a more apt comparison. They were broadly similar in style, being what you call 'classical illusory realism', but, I contend, very different in the way they handled major events, both inner (emotional turmoil or moral dilemmas) and outer (violence, murder etc). I gave some examples of this; you may well disagree with my analysis and my opinions.

In The Sopranos, plot served in the main to service character; in Breaking Bad, it felt the other way around.

I should have been clearer when defining "classical illusory realism," since the commonly accepted definition relates directly to the point you make.

The term has its origins in studies of studio era Hollywood and what's usually regarded as a Fordist (production-line) approach to filmmaking. Here, narrative is king, and other concerns are secondary. Studio era Hollywood was in the business of telling stories, and these stories needed to be as easily communicated as possible. This was Hollywood's heyday, when audience numbers peaked and the "big five" studios controlled both the means of production (filmmaking) and the mode of exhibition.

The "classical Hollywood style" (or "classical illusory realism") was therefore about servicing narrative. Everything was organised to drive the story and communicate narrative events in the clearest way possible, from every aspect of physical and vocal performance, to sound cues, scores, leimotifs and bridges, to lighting, set design, and so on...

I think this definition of "classical illusory realism" fits your appraisal of Breaking Bad quite precisely; though I'd argue that Gilligan et al. made every effort to ensure character psychology felt consistent and plausible over the five season arc.

Outside of the above observations, I happen to love classical era Hollywood filmmaking and enjoy a well told story on its own terms. This perhaps means I'm more amenable to the approach taken with Breaking Bad. Again, there's no judgement in this observation, and I fully respect your right to take a different view.

the scarletpronster said:
I don't know whether that clarification will alter your analysis of my comments.

If anything, I should have been clearer in defining the terms of my argument. Hopefully that all now makes a little more sense.

thescarletpronster said:
I do also have criticisms of The Wire, by the way, but they are of the more superficial rather than fundamental aspects. For one thing one of the lead characters, Jimmy McNulty – that archetypal crime-fiction cliché, the intuitive detective genius who refused to play by the rules and was therefore a thorn in the side of his bosses while being also a disaster in his personal/family life – detracted from the series (1 and 5) in which he played a major part. He's much better in series 2, 3 and 4 (the best of The Wire overall) when he is no longer a homicide detective and pulls himself together as a person. The 'serial killer' narrative in series 5 didn't fit The Wire's realist approach at all, and was a major minus point in that final series, although it did serve to make some useful narrative and social points. I also don't find Dominic West particularly convincing in that role (or, indeed, in any role I've seen him in). But these are nowhere near as fundamental of my criticism of the entire approach of the creators of Breaking Bad to drama and entertainment.

I agree entirely that the McNulty character was a cliche.

Simon et al. took far greater care with the street characters, who were composites or derivatives of actual dealers and kingpins (or, as with Felicia "Snoop" Pearson, in many ways playing themselves).

I challenge anyone who hasn't seen The Wire to watch the season five episode, where Jimmy gurns about, supping whiskey from a hip-flask, smashing plasterboard and strangling a corpse, while Bunk cries "Jimmy, hell no," to understand the show's devoted fan-base and critical acclaim. I watched that entire season and character arc with my fist in my mouth. It really was that bad.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Again, sorry for the delay in watching Mysterious Skin.

As Richard nominated the film, would he like to give us his thoughts on it?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
now watched Mysterious Skin too, sorry for the delay.
No problem BBB. Now that you've confirmed, I'm just confirming also!

I expected the obvious - alien abduction - although it was quite easy to ascertain the real issue. Although I initially wondered what I'd started watching, I did enjoy the film overall, and was very well done.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I have now watched The Vanishing as well.

That's very keen, Mike. *biggrin*

Richard hasn't been of the forum for a little while, so discussion of Mysterious Skin may have to wait for a bit. I don't think that'll cause too many problems though, as some of the imagery is burnt into my mind now, so as much as I'd probably like to forget, I'm not sure I ever will. *biggrin*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I see Richard did mention that he might have to go away for a couple of weeks, so I'm presuming he did.

I suggest we watch 'The Vanishing' before the end of the month, then we can discuss both films in March, 'Mysterous Skin' first, then 'The Vanishing'.

It will be David's choice in March, so whenever he's ready, he can nominate his 3 or 4 films.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi all

sorry for my silence. My mum passed away very suddenly at the end of January. Big shock to us all and I did have to go up to Scotland for a bit.

I did watch Mysterious Skin 3 weeks ago so I'll do my best to remember anything worthwhile.

My first reaction was not finding the films content very shocking. When it was made I can imagine it caused quite a stir but post Jimmy Saville not so much.

Also shows how the two individuals (Brian & Neil) react very differently, also whilst we're very quick to demand abusers are strung up, they may have been victims themselves. Neil's interaction with the young boy at the baseball match show his potential to become the abuser, as well as his self destructive lifestyle.

The closing scene makes me hope for both of their futures. Neil seems to realise how wrong it was and his part in the abuse of Brian.

Again, sorry for the brief and patchy comments.

I will. Watch The Vanishing by the end of this month and try and get back on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS