The WHF Film Club

Page 122 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I've been off work for the last 2 days with a nasty cough/cold, so thought I'd catch up on something I missed when it was first shown, 2 years ago.

The Returned http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I'm only 2 episodes in, but I'm finding it extremely interesting, and quite unnerving. It's a French series, and season 2 is due quite soon, so I'd recommend catching up on it on All 4 if you have the time.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Got a copy of White Ribbon, but I'll wait till we're all ready to watch. In the past I've watched films then forgotten most of it by the time of discussion.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I've been off work for the last 2 days with a nasty cough/cold, so thought I'd catch up on something I missed when it was first shown, 2 years ago.

The Returned http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2521668/?ref_=nv_sr_2

I'm only 2 episodes in, but I'm finding it extremely interesting, and quite unnerving. It's a French series, and season 2 is due quite soon, so I'd recommend catching up on it on All 4 if you have the time.

I see that season 2 has just started on Canal+, and the box sets for both series will be on sale soon, so I have bookmarked the page.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Just looked in for the first time in a little (just before the discussion of continuing it again!) while as I thought the club had more or less finished - I'd be up for it, although maybe from next month, as I'm having an October Horror Fest :)

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Just looked in for the first time in a little (just before the discussion of continuing it again!) while as I thought the club had more or less finished - I'd be up for it, although maybe from next month, as I'm having an October Horror Fest :)

Maybe The Devils Backbone would align well with your horror fest?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
expat_mike said:
I have just ordered Ida, White Ribbon, Devils Backbone, The story of film, plus a couple of other items.

The delivery window is quoted as between the 3rd and the 13th Oct, which in France usually means things arrive at the end of the window. Unlike the uk, it is rare for parcels to arrive early in the window.

My copy of Ida has arrived today (even though the estimated delivery date was the 15th).

Just a thought, but shall we swap the films over, ie watch Ida this month and The White Ribbon next month?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
expat_mike said:
Maybe The Devils Backbone would align well with your horror fest?
I've already whittled my horror film collection down to 197, so I've had to remove a fair amount, and there's still quite a lot to go! I work out I need to get that list down to around 70 max to cover the month - some tough decisions ahead! The only easy decision was ignoring the horrors I'd watched during August and September, and the ones that just aren't that good.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
My copy of Ida has arrived today (even though the estimated delivery date was the 15th).

Just a thought, but shall we swap the films over, ie watch Ida this month and The White Ribbon next month?

I've received my copy of Ida, so I'm happy if we do that.

To clarify, can we watch Ida by mid-October, and The White Ribbon by the end of October, then after that we'll get back to watching one film a month.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

David@FrankHarvey said:

You'd be welcome, David.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
expat_mike said:

I've received my copy of Ida, so I'm happy if we do that.

To clarify, can we watch Ida by mid-October, and The White Ribbon by the end of October, then after that we'll get back to watching one film a month.

ok

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I've already whittled my horror film collection down to 197, so I've had to remove a fair amount, and there's still quite a lot to go!

I tried to post last night, but I was repeatedly spam filtered.

I wanted to as people, with Hallowe'en upcoming, what are your favourite horror films and why?

I ask for two reasons:

1) As a conversation starter.

2) Because I'm a horror fan who has devoted what is probably unreasonable energy to collecting recognised classics and cult titles. Recently, however, I'm running out of titles to watch, which is not to say my knowledge of the genre is so exhaustive that I can't have overlooked some gems.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I tried to post last night, but I was repeatedly spam filtered.

I wanted to as people, with Hallowe'en upcoming, what are your favourite horror films and why?

I ask for two reasons:

1) As a conversation starter.

2) Because I'm a horror fan who has devoted what is probably unreasonable energy to collecting recognised classics and cult titles. Recently, however, I'm running out of titles to watch, which is not to say my knowledge of the genre is so exhaustive that I can't have overlooked some gems.
maybe start another thread? Might be worthwhile for others as well - and I have a lot of recommendations! :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
maybe start another thread? Might be worthwhile for others as well - and I have a lot of recommendations! :)

I think this can help to keep the FC thread ticking over for a while, before the the next selected film is discussed. Non members have always been able to contribute, so they're free to make suggestions.

And of couse, recommend away!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I think this can help to keep the FC thread ticking over for a while, before the the next selected film is discussed. Non members have always been able to contribute, so they're free to make suggestions.

And of couse, recommend away!
If BBB is ok with that, then I'm ok what that too. If he thinks it might affect the flow, another thread might be better. I agree it'll give this thread more to talk about, but I'll leave it to him to ultimately decide :)

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
If BBB is ok with that, then I'm ok what that too. If he thinks it might affect the flow, another thread might be better. I agree it'll give this thread more to talk about, but I'll leave it to him to ultimately decide :)

I'd imagine he would be, though far be it from me to muscle in, so I'll of course wait for approval.

Beyond the reasons I posted above, I thought this conversation might lend additional energy to a newly revived thread. (I had a further topic for a discussion, but I'll sit on that for now.)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Absolutely fine with me. Anything that keeps the film club ticking over is a good thing.

I'm not really a Horror fan, so the chances of me picking a film that Strapped hasn't seen, are as close to zero as it's possible to get, but I will let you know my favourites at some point.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Coolio :)

Well tonight I've started off with Wolf Creek, and the imaginatively titled follow up, Wolf Creek 2. Not your generic, run of the mill slasher/stalker type movie, although the first one was based on true events of people disappearing from the Australian outback. I can't really go into too much detail without spoiling the twist of the first one. There is some deautiful scenery though, and some nice shots that anyone who is into photography will appreciate. Unlike many horror movies nowadays, sports a quality sequel, which I've just started now.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Coolio :)

Well tonight I've started off with Wolf Creek, and the imaginatively titled follow up, Wolf Creek 2. Not your generic, run of the mill slasher/stalker type movie, although the first one was based on true events of people disappearing from the Australian outback. I can't really go into too much detail without spoiling the twist of the first one. There is some deautiful scenery though, and some nice shots that anyone who is into photography will appreciate. Unlike many horror movies nowadays, sports a quality sequel, which I've just started now.

I saw Wolf Creek at the cinema and caught it a few of times on TV. (I haven't seen the sequel). It's not bad at all, though I'm not sure the twenty-first century has produced many genre classics.

Are you fan of older horror films, David, American, British, or foreign langauge? (I count Giallo films as foreign language, despite the fact that Italian cinema was usually filmed without sound and dubbed into different languages, sometimes with alternate takes, music, and sequences - Mario Bava's Black Sabbath, for instance).

Bringing things back to the twenty-first century, has anyone seen Trick 'r Treat? Outside of Carpenter's film, it's perhaps most suitable for Hallowe'en viewing, and pretty good fun, if not all that scary. It's one of the better portmateau (or anthology) horrors, too.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
I saw Wolf Creek at the cinema and caught it a few of times on TV. (I haven't seen the sequel). It's not bad at all, though I'm not sure the twenty-first century has produced many genre classics.
No, very few classics, but horror take time. Most classic horrors are decades old - Shaun Of The Dead will become a classic in time, although in my eyes, it already is. I highly recommend Wolf Creek 2 (for those that enjoyed the first one). Well made, and funnier too.

Are you fan of older horror films, David, American, British, or foreign langauge? (I count Giallo films as foreign language, despite the fact that Italian cinema was usually filmed without sound and dubbed into different languages, sometimes with alternate takes, music, and sequences - Mario Bava's Black Sabbath, for instance).
Certainly am. Anything since Nosferatu, which for me, is still the best vampire movie.

Bringing things back to the twenty-first century, has anyone seen Trick 'r Treat? Outside of Carpenter's film, it's perhaps most suitable for Hallowe'en viewing, and pretty good fun, if not all that scary. It's one of the better portmateau (or anthology) horrors, too.
Yeah, Trick 'r Treat is now one of my regular Halloween viewings. Pretty decent, and as far as anthology horrors go, my favourites are Creepshow, Vault Of Horror, and Tales From the Crypt.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I always struggle with the definition of 'Horror'. When does a psychological thriller become a horror?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I always struggle with the definition of 'Horror'. When does a psychological thriller become a horror?
interesting question, and it's one that is linked to my October Horror Fest list. Because I have hundreds of horror movies, I've had to narrow down the choice to be able to come up with some sort of schedule. The interesting point being I removed quite a few horrors that would be classed more of a psychological horro rather than an outright, physical horror (murder, physical mutation etc). "Horror" covers a multitude of genres, from what I would class as physical, like slasher/stalker types, zombie/vampire/werewolf/monster style movies, to the more psychological, like ghosts and creepy stuff. Of course, horror crosses over into other genres like sci-fi, comedy, revenge, apocalyptic, and even love stories nowadays (although quite a number of films are actually love stories, rather than what they initially appear to be).

I suppose most people associate horror with the physical, which is in no way wrong, but some people class "end of the world" style movies as horror too. I suppose it could be whatever "horrifies" you.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
Anything since Nosferatu, which for me, is still the best vampire movie.

I assume you mean the Murnau 1922 classic (there's a BFI Blu-ray out next month, though it'll have to go some to better the MoC BD release).

I like the Herzog 1979 version which, coincidentally, I watched last night. Bruno Ganz's arrival at the castle to Wagner's Das Rheingold Prelude (along with the build up) is one of my favourite sequences in horror cinema.

I also have a soft spot for Salem's Lot (the Tobe Hooper mini-series rather than the awful version with Rob Lowe and Rutger Hauer). Max Shreck's Count Orlok was clearly inspiration for "The Master," who was the source of nightmares when I was a kid. I'd love to see a BD release, though it's unlikely.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I'm bound to miss some, but I'll have a go at listing some of my favourites,

An American Werewolf In London

The Thing

Les Diaboliques

Audition

Dark Water

Jacob's Ladder

Martyrs

Alien

Next Door