The WHF Film Club

Page 121 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

OK, thanks, I will.

I did once watch the first 30 minutes of 'The Boss Of It All', and I don't know if it was because I wasn't in the mood for it, or if it just wasn't grabbing me, but I think I'll discount it for now.

It's quite hard to choose between the other two, as I'm very keen to watch both. If one was obviously less serious than the other, I'd go for that one, but I'm guessing both will be quite dark, so I can't choose on that criteria.

OK, I'm going for 'The White Ribbon'.

Three reasons for my choice. Firstly, it'll be cheaper and easier to get hold of, secondly, it was the 2nd choice of both Mike and Richard, and the pronster also chose it as his favourite, and thirdly, I think it will generate the most discussion of the three films.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
OK, thanks, I will.

I did once watch the first 30 minutes of 'The Boss Of It All', and I don't know if it was because I wasn't in the mood for it, or if it just wasn't grabbing me, but I think I'll discount it for now.

It's quite hard to choose between the other two, as I'm very keen to watch both. If one was obviously less serious than the other, I'd go for that one, but I'm guessing both will be quite dark, so I can't choose on that criteria.

OK, I'm going for 'The White Ribbon'.

Three reasons for my choice. Firstly, it'll be cheaper and easier to get hold of, secondly, it was the 2nd choice of both Mike and Richard, and the pronster also chose it as his favourite, and thirdly, I think it will generate the most discussion of the three films.

Ok.

The reviews that I read of 'The Boss Of It All', seemed very polarised into two camps, often driven by the Directors use of software that automatically chose random positions for the cameras. Some viewers liked the resultant effect on the film, but others really disliked it. There were quite a few comments that the intial plotline, had much potential for humour (similar to The Office), but ultimately failed to deliver.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Good call on the film.

Of the three, only White Ribbon is on iTunes, and the DVD can be bought for a couple of quid whereas the other two are expensive

None of them are on Amazon Video, YouTube or Sky on demand.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I own The White Ribbon on blu.

I only watched this once, when it was first released, so this seems a good opportunity to revisist the film and chip in with some commentary when you get round to discussing it.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:
Is it the October film ?

or should we squeeze it into September.

I don't have a copy, and it will probably take a couple of weeks for the post to deliver one, so I prefer it to be the October film. However if everyone else wants to watch and discuss it this month, feel free to, but I cannot add anything to the discussion until next month.

Also if you watch it during September, someone needs to also nominate the films for October asap, because there are less than 4 days left in September.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Cool, The White Ribbon it is.

richardw42 said:
Is it the October film ?

We could perhaps set a particular day of the week for starting discussion each month. It might be easier than having the same date each month, which would fall on a different day. If we choose the last Saturday of each month, it would gives us all a full month to watch the first film.

This is only a suggestion, I'm not a full member so I'm not trying to say what should happen, but see what you all think.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

strapped for cash said:
I own The White Ribbon on blu.

I only watched this once, when it was first released, so this seems a good opportunity to revisist the film and chip in with some commentary when you get round to discussing it.

Looking forward to it.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
richardw42 said:
Is it the October film ?

I don't have a copy, and it will probably take a couple of weeks for the post to deliver one, so I prefer it to be the October film. However if everyone else wants to watch and discuss it this month, feel free to, but I cannot add anything to the discussion until next month.

Also if you watch it during September, someone needs to also nominate the films for October asap, because there are less than 4 days left in September.

I did think about it being the September film, but as Mike as pointed out, it could take a week or more to get the film, let alone watch it as well.

I think the best thing is for Mike to let us know when he has the film, then we can all watch it asap after that.

I'm not sure whose turn it is to choose the next lots of films (Richard or Mike), but if they can nominate their films asap, we can all get the film ready for watching before the end of October.

So who wants to choose the next lot of flms, Mike or Richard?

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
I think the best thing is for Mike to let us know when he has the film, then we can all watch it asap after that.

I'm not sure whose turn it is to choose the next lots of films (Richard or Mike), but if they can nominate their films asap, we can all get the film ready for watching before the end of October.

So who wants to choose the next lot of flms, Mike or Richard?

At the moment, only one film springs to mind which I could nominate, so if Richard already feels like he has a few films in mind, then I am happy for him to suggest the films for November.

I think that I am similar to BBB, in that I have built up a collection of films yet to be watched. Most of them are films from the club, either nominations or film/director discussions, which sounded interesting at the time. So I can easily nominate some films from that collection, but there is quite a risk that BBB and/or Richard will have already seen them. I know that for me, one of the attractions of the club, is that it has introduced me to films that would never have been on my radar. Consequently I would prefer to try and nominate films that are new to both of you, but I realise that this is always going to be difficult, when both of you have already watched so many films. *biggrin*

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
In that case, I'm more than happy to nominate some films.

The Devils Backbone. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/?ref_=nv_sr_1. This is part of GDTs trilogy that includes Pans Labyrinth & Cronos. All pretty different, this is the ghost story.

Ida http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 I saw this film recommended on another forum and I'm intrigued

Bubba Ho Tep http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/?ref_=nv_sr_1 I've nominated it before but it goes along with having a less than completely serious option I saw it years and years ago but everybody really needs to see it

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
richardw42 said:

The Devils Backbone. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0256009/?ref_=nv_sr_1. This is part of GDTs trilogy that includes Pans Labyrinth & Cronos. All pretty different, this is the ghost story.

Ida http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2718492/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 I saw this film recommended on another forum and I'm intrigued

Bubba Ho Tep http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0281686/?ref_=nv_sr_1 I've nominated it before but it goes along with having a less than completely serious option I saw it years and years ago but everybody really needs to see it

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:

The Devils Backbone

Ida

Bubba Ho Tep

I own and have seen The Devils Backbone, and I own, but haven't seen Bubba Ho Tep (I think it was because of your previous nomination that I bought it).

My votes are:

Bubba Ho Tep 3 pts

Ida 2 pts

The Devils Backbone 1 pt

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
At the moment, only one film springs to mind which I could nominate, so if Richard already feels like he has a few films in mind, then I am happy for him to suggest the films for November.

My suggestion was for us to watch my selection asap (by mid-October-ish), and the next selection before the end of October, if possible.

expat_mike said:
I think that I am similar to BBB, in that I have built up a collection of films yet to be watched. Most of them are films from the club, either nominations or film/director discussions, which sounded interesting at the time. So I can easily nominate some films from that collection, but there is quite a risk that BBB and/or Richard will have already seen them. I know that for me, one of the attractions of the club, is that it has introduced me to films that would never have been on my radar. Consequently I would prefer to try and nominate films that are new to both of you, but I realise that this is always going to be difficult, when both of you have already watched so many films. *biggrin*

Just try nominating them next time, Mike, you never know.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
richardw42 said:

My votes are

Devils backbone - 3 pts

Ida - 2 pts

bubba ho tep - 1 pt

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I saw Ida a few months ago, and watched Devil's Backbone years ago. (I've just checked and I have it on video, but no VCR any more, dur!) If you choose one of those I'll try to chip in from memory. Not sure I'll be able to get hold of and watch a second film in the next few weeks, so if you choose Bubba Ho Tep I'll dip out of that one. Don't worry about me, though - choose whichever one you want. I'll enjoy reading your discussion even if I don't take part.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

richardw42 said:
Another tie :)

as BB has seen Devils Backbone and Mike has BHT in last place, perhaps we should watch Ida ?

Depends if pronster has a preference.

Your choice then, Richard.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

To clarify.

Can Mike let us know when he receives his copy of 'The White Ribbon'?

'The White Ribbon' to be watched asap after that.

'Ida' to be watched by the end of October if possible.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I have just ordered Ida, White Ribbon, Devils Backbone, The story of film, plus a couple of other items.

The delivery window is quoted as between the 3rd and the 13th Oct, which in France usually means things arrive at the end of the window. Unlike the uk, it is rare for parcels to arrive early in the window.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

expat_mike said:
I have just ordered Ida, White Ribbon, Devils Backbone, The story of film, plus a couple of other items.

Nice one, Mike.

expat_mike said:
The delivery window is quoted as between the 3rd and the 13th Oct, which in France usually means things arrive at the end of the window. Unlike the uk, it is rare for parcels to arrive early in the window.

I think we've discussed the French postal service before, so I understand. *smile*

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts