The Vinyl Album Club

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I'd say about 300 or so since starting vinyl a year ago.

Order? None but I need to start a system. They currently live in Ikea fabric boxes but again, a better storage solution would be nice.

Most have been cleaned and many have the unbranded, but cheaper Nagakoe poly inner liners.

regards

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
The_Lhc said:
My job's really dull, it's something to pass the time. It started in order to keep a check on the PWEI stuff, so if I see something online I can find out quickly whether I've got it or not to avoid buying stuff twice.

I'm starting to get over the shock now, though I did have trouble sleeping last night. :grin:

Is there really that much PWEI stuff?

I've currently got 58 items of PWEI vinyl (including one duplicate, the signed, red vinyl Beaver Patrol 7" but the two copies have a different set of signatures on them) and my collection isn't complete, I'm missing a lot of the really early stuff.

I've had a few records of theirs over the years, but I think it's down to one 7" now, a bit of a rarity.

$(KGrHqR,!ngFIft2ijy!BSLj)YTZ+w~~60_35.JPG

Not really, it's no rarer than anything else particularly, the rare stuff is the early Wild and Wandering 2000 Light Ales From Home EP and the "Poppies Say Grrr!" brown paper bag single, neither of which are even on eBay at the moment (although interestingly the Wasted Youth LP that they took their original Wild and Wandering name from is!).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I did have the Poppiecock EP, and 2 other 12"s, tried to sell them on ebay 3 years ago, no offers, so they ended up getting dumped as I was about to move house.

More vinyl regrets.

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Jim-W said:
Well I was trying to be a bit cool and carefree about filing and, as you suggested, holding a bit back. The ones inthe loft are loosely in American, British, Jazz, Folk, Blues categories. However, there are boxes that need to be sorted out but, you know I like not ordering them because it's a bit more unpredictable and interesting that way; the same sort of rush you get looking through crates of unsorted records. I owe it to my daughter to file them and put them on spreadsheets but if I ever told her I was going to do this she'd think I'd gone mad and have me sectioned. We like muddle.

I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your collection, and if anyone here should get their collection on to spreadsheets, I think it's you.

I'm looking forward to finding out more detail on your collection.

I have one specific question, have you got an original copy of "The Psychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators"? My wife is desperate for one, but don't worry, I'm not going to make you an offer if you have.

Hello BBB

Don't be jealous, just keep buying and they soon mount up; I've just kept buying records and this is the result.

An original "The Psychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators" is extremely hard to come by;I have never even held a copy in my hands and it's a record that I've been looking for, especially the mono variant. I have got reissue copies of all the Elevators LPs and my copy of "The Psychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators" is a picture disc which looks lovely but, like many picture dics, the sound quality is not very good. Funnily enough, I've just taken a photo of it, playing on my daughter' record player for her facebook page. I'll try and post it on here., I don't have any original Elevators records but I'd pay stupid money for them. Having said that, I;m sure you could pick one up online;I don't buy on the net because I need to reassure myself that they're worth the asking price:it'seasy to get ripped off in this game.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

My wife's reaction was; "Wooo! f##king cool"

I've ordered her the Charly ltd edition gatefold double album reissue, looks decent, with both stereo, and mono albums.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
LPs = 2,500 at last (for insurance purposes) count a year ago.

Filing system = Bob (100s and rising) then the rest, scattered across shelves, sequestered toy chests and reclaimed bits of loft.

(the never ending house re-build means a more formal IKEA-based filing system is on hold).

Most expensive, collectible, interesting??? I'll save all that for another thread. Don't want to incur BBBs wrath!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
DIB said:
Probably between 500 - 600* albums, filed away alphabetically, and like lots of people I would imagine, start with Abba and end with ZZ Top.

No, and no.

That's still a solid collection though. :cheers:

Oi! Watch it you,,,,,,

Alan-Partridge-played-by--006.jpg

... ummm, actually the Abba is my wifes, honest :oops:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Charlie Jefferson said:
LPs = 2,500 at last (for insurance purposes) count a year ago.

Filing system = Bob (100s and rising) then the rest, scattered across shelves, sequestered toy chests and reclaimed bits of loft.

(the never ending house re-build means a more formal IKEA-based filing system is on hold).

Most expensive, collectible, interesting??? I'll save all that for another thread. Don't want to incur BBBs wrath!

That's a lot of records Charlie, but some way short of the 10,000 Jim-W has. I'm jealous of you both though.

I'm really interested in finding out what records people have within a certain genre, though most expensive, collectible, interesting are possible fututre topics.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DIB said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
DIB said:
Probably between 500 - 600* albums, filed away alphabetically, and like lots of people I would imagine, start with Abba and end with ZZ Top.

No, and no.

That's still a solid collection though. :cheers:

Oi! Watch it you,,,,,,

Alan-Partridge-played-by--006.jpg

Alphabetically, my first band is AC/DC, and the last band is The Zombies.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Hi-FiOutlaw said:
Xutos & Pontapes

I just looked them up on You Tube, they're obviously very popular in Portugal, the clip of "Maria" live was in a massive stadium.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as we seem to have quite a few new people that are interested in vinyl on the forums now, and we never really went into any detail with our collections.

Just interested in where you all file your records, in what kind of order, within genres, or just A-Z?

Have you got any favourite records? Most valuable? Biggest bargain? Are there any records that you have more than one copy of, and why? etc etc

Some news on my filing system. I used to have my records sorted A-Z within genres, but I was bored this weekend, so all artists are now A-Z. Compilations are filed separately within genre, and 12" and 7" are all tucked away in other rooms, as I never ever play them.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
...sorted every year or so into genres.

I can never be bothered putting them back in the right place though, so as times move on the disorder increases. It's vinyl entropy. The added benefit is discovering albums I've forgotten about while looking for something else.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've got Independent cubes in my Expedit for:

Compilations

Instrumental Jazz

Motown, Soul, Funky, Blues

Vocal Jazz, like Diana Krall, Patricia Barber, Julie London, Ella, Nina Simone and so on...

All the rest is stored from A to Z.

I've being buying a few records in September, now i've 420 some thing records...*preved**dance4**yahoo*

*drinks*

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Waxy said:
...sorted every year or so into genres.

I can never be bothered putting them back in the right place though, so as times move on the disorder increases. It's vinyl entropy. The added benefit is discovering albums I've forgotten about while looking for something else.

I understand the benefit of the random filing system, and my genre system was also pretty good for finding records I'd forgotten I had, but I really like order and knowing where things are, so it had to go A-Z. The other reason for doing it was that my wife couldn't understand the genre system, so could never find records that she wanted to play. Saying that, I told that I'd done it while she was out, and she didn't seem at all bothered or interested. *sad*

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
My shameful details are on page 1. Not much has changed since then...maybe another 100 or so and increasing financial distress as I told myself I'd stop buying when the realities of living on a pension began to bite. Well, I have cut down a bit, but not that much. Going back into work to help out financed a pretty big binge. It' got to stop now though: a broken boiler that can't be repaired has seen to that. If I had a grandma, I'd sell her wooden leg to finance this addiction.

Some rudimentary filing but records strewn about all over the place. One expedit a la Wilkos. The rest in boxes in the loft and leaning against walls, speakers, some shelves oh and a sort of semi espedit in here...the office as was. Computer and record room now; mind you it always was. I'm a chaotic sort of dude.

Easier to tell you what I don't collect:

Country and Western, electronica and any thrash/metal/death stuff.

Oh, and I'm Jim. In real life I'm Jim too.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Is it possible for you to have a favourite record with so many to choose from?

What I meant by that question wasn't a favourite piece of music, more a record you have which means more than any other. Probably an impossible question isn't it?

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I know the question wasn't for me but I start thinking at the answer...

i've got some favourit albums that i listen to them often...

Oscar Peterson Trios albums

Some from Lloyd Cole

Division Bell

Mighty Sam

Some from Super Tramp

To name a few...

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Just interested in where you all file your records, in what kind of order, within genres, or just A-Z?
Just A-Z, as there's too many sub genres to start monkeying about working out what goes where - it's bad enough with Blurays.

Have you got any favourite records? Most valuable? Biggest bargain? Are there any records that you have more than one copy of, and why? etc etc
There are many I have more than one copy of, mainly because I know I'll play the album regularly and want a back up copy. Probably my most duplicated album is Nirvana's Nevermind. I picked up a couple of used copies at one point, and then Simply Vinyl issued a copy which I bought. Then along came a Japanese pressing which was supposed to be the best available at the time, and then the Anniversary edition was finally added.

Biggest Bargain? Not sure really as most of what I buy nowadays tends to be new. I was pretty chuffed to pick up a good quality copy of Fatboy Slim's You've Come A Long Way Baby for £15, as they were hovering around the £80 mark on some sites.

Favourite? That depends on the criteria being taken into account.

Most valuable? I don't really know which ones are supposed to be the most valuable, but if you're talking the most I've ever paid, other than The Beatles Mono set or The Who Studio Albums Set, it would be around the £70 mark, which I paid for a sealed copy of Trent Reznor's The Social Network OST, and I paid a similar price for a sealed copy of The Dust Brothers' Fight Club OST (Simply Vinyl). That might change if I see a sealed, reasonably priced copy of Trent Reznor's The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo OST box set...

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Very hard and the list would change from day to day, but I'll limit myself to ten here:

Bil Evans Trio: 'Explorations'.

Van Morrison: 'Astral Weeks'.

Tim Buckley: 'Starsailor'.

Bob Dylan: 'The Freewhelin'.

John Coltrane: 'First Meditations'.

Love:'Forever Changes.'

Marvin Gaye: 'Here, My Dear'.

Bunny Wailer: 'Blackheart Man'.

REM: 'Murmur'.

Bert Jansch: 'Rosemary Lane.'

Charlie Parker: 'Charlie Parker On Dial'.

Roy Harper: 'Stormcock.'

Well that's 12! Fairly representative but I've deliberately ignored the less well-known stuff.

I've got quite a few rare records, but as a collector, that's pretty much to be expected. Lots of original British and American psychedelic mono lps, a fair few original mono Blue Notes, some rare 60's folk, jazz and blues albums. Examples:

Pink Floyd first two albums in mono.

Nick Drake originals Island pressings.

Jimi Hendrix Track originals mono and stereo.

The Who: 'My Generation.' mono Brunswick.

Traffic: 'Mr Fantasy mono.

Blossom Toes: 'We Are Ever So Clean' and 'If Only For A Moment.'

All Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Who, The KInks, Small Faces, Pretty Things and Rolling Stones monos.

All Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Love, Quicksilver and Grateful Dead monos

Dexter Gordon, Jackie McLean, Lee Morgan, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Wayne Shorter original Blue Notes.

Late 60's/early 70's British jazz originals: Tubby Hayes, John Surman, Mike Westbrook, Ian Carr-Don Rendell Quintet etc.

Lots of Prestige and Riverside labels jazz originals: Paul Chambers, Bill Evans, Red Garland, 'Trane etc. The most I've paid was a couple of years ago: £160 for a mint copy of Trees 'On The Shore' lp.

The record that I would pay the most for is an original copy of Tina Brooks 'True Blue' Blue Note album. which is wonderful and impossibly rare. Drugs, alcoholism and shabby treatment by Blue Note did for him, but he is probably my favourite saxophonist. There's a reissue due some time soon. The whole album is on youtube. I promote Tina whenever I can. Genius.

Bargains? Lots of rare late 50's/60's records in VG condition with tatty sleeves that I've cleaned and they sound ok if not perfect. The Doors 'Waiting For The Sun' ( £10) in mono springs to mind as does a mono of Dexter Gordon's 'Gettin' Around'. (£5 years ago) Lots of ECM originals for £3 or £4. Lots of Creation and 4AD label stuff ( £10 or so) ( House Of Love, Cocteau Twins, Lush, Primal Scream etc) which will hopefully rocket in value!

I do like new music but I tend to listen on youtube or buy cds. If I find copies of recent Jonathan Wilson and Sufjan Stevens records, I'll snap them up but I don't buy online. My daughter has all originals of Joanna Newsom and The Smiths so she's got the bug too. God help her.

TRENDING THREADS