The Vinyl Album Club

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Not sure quite where to go with this, but thought it could run alongside the other vinyl threads.

I'm not overly interested in singles (7" or 12"), I find albums far more interesting.

So, to start with.

How many albums have you got (roughly)?

How do you file your albums?

I've got around 850.

I file them within genres, alphabetically.

I have sections for Soul/Funk, Reggae/Ska, Hip Hop/Rap, Dance/Trip Hop, Jazz, Lougecore, Female Singers (Easy Listening), Male Singers (Easy Listening), Oldies (60s/70s), Rock/Metal, Punk, Krautrock/Post-Rock, Goth, 80s, Soundtracks/Comedy, Everything Else (biggest section by miles), and Compilations (ordered by genre)

I know this makes me a bit sad, but it does mean I can find whatever I'm looking for easily.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Probably about 150, in 2 years.

Filed randomly, apart from "audiophile" ones (Mobile Fidelity, Analogue Productions etc) and newly acquired ones that I'll play until bored with.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
How many albums have you got (roughly)?

Don't know, haven't updated my spreadsheet in a few years, I'll update and return (I bet you can't wait!).

How do you file your albums?

Originally it wasalphabetical order within Everything Else : Easy Listening/Jazz/Big Band/Sinatra/Bennett/etc : Compilations : Soundtracks : Classical : Comedy : PWEI : 7"s/12"s, however the storage got full and new stuff now goes into another rack on top of the storage until its been listened to and that isn't in any particular order.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have about 250-300 LPs - all cleaned/Nagaoka sleeves

I have them on 4 tier high Expedit with 3 shelves full

All stored in alphabetical order - all genres together

My most expensive LP was a sealed copy of Massive Attack - Heligoland 3 x 180g - £59

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

stevebrock said:
I have about 250-300 LPs - all cleaned/Nagaoka sleeves

I have them on 4 tier high Expedit with 3 shelves full

All stored in alphabetical order - all genres together

My most expensive LP was a sealed copy of Massive Attack - Heligoland 3 x 180g - £59

That's more detail than we needed for now Steve, how the hell are we going to keep this thread going if you tell us everything in your first post? :grin:

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Aprox 250.

Jazz albums altogether, rest are in any order. I like fact they are in no order as makes for interesting listening with 'oh, haven't played that for a while' free styling.

kept in wooden cubes and also spreading into an old habitat bookcase which is divided into cubes.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
About 300. My best ones (50ish) live in poly packets in the HiFi rack in the lounge. The rest live in a couple of cardboard boxes in my wardrobe.

Theoretically the ones in the HiFi rack are in alphabetical order by artist. But in truth a few are probably mixed up. I've never found it too difficult to find the right LP. I'm not sure if everyone will now what I mean but I just sort of *know* whereabouts a certain album will be in my collection, give or take half an inch each direction.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I have no idea as I've never counted, but given the amount of storage boxes I have (which are supposed to be able to hold 70), my guess is around the 800 mark, give or take. At the moment, there's no storage order.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi BBB, i've 310 album, me as you i don't like 7" or 12" maxi singles!

My albums were all clean by myself and storage in MoFy sleeves.

Let me add a thread that i've started...

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/lets-see-all-those-vinyl-storages-spaces

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't going to respond to this but, well, you asked so here are the horrific facts. I started collecting at 12 and I'm now 59 and I've spent ridiculous amounts of money...see, I'm a vinyl junky and there's no cure; even in my declining years, I'm gripped by this terrible illness. I've got about 10,000 Lps and they're stored all over the place and in most rooms in the house. Most are boxed and stored in the loft which is not ideal for a variety of reasons but I visit them regularly, like every day, and usually come down with something I'd forgotten about. I won't bore you with endless details but I collect British and American 60's and early 70's originals and i prefer mono pressings. Psychedelic, American west coast, Bob Dylan, Elektra label, British pop and rock, Island, Harvest and the odd Vertigo label. I also collect jazz, Blue-Note, ECM and Impulse! especially and any Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and Keith Jarrett that I can find. i slso collect folk, particularly Bert Jansch and associated stuff. I'm currently hunting for roots reggae stuff, especially Greensleeves label records. I collect sttuff from the 80's and 90's too like My Bloody Valentine, the Mary Chain, The Smiths etc. Filing? Ha ha, that's funny. By the way, my friend has 100,000 but he's a dealer and has no filing system whatsoever. Now that is a nightmare.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Jim-W said:
I wasn't going to respond to this but, well, you asked so here are the horrific facts. I started collecting at 12 and I'm now 59 and I've spent ridiculous amounts of money...see, I'm a vinyl junky and there's no cure; even in my declining years, I'm gripped by this terrible illness. I've got about 10,000 Lps and they're stored all over the place and in most rooms in the house. Most are boxed and stored in the loft which is not ideal for a variety of reasons but I visit them regularly, like every day, and usually come down with something I'd forgotten about. I won't bore you with endless details but I collect British and American 60's and early 70's originals and i prefer mono pressings. Psychedelic, American west coast, Bob Dylan, Elektra label, British pop and rock, Island, Harvest and the odd Vertigo label. I also collect jazz, Blue-Note, ECM and Impulse! especially and any Charlie Parker, John Coltrane and Keith Jarrett that I can find. i slso collect folk, particularly Bert Jansch and associated stuff. I'm currently hunting for roots reggae stuff, especially Greensleeves label records. I collect sttuff from the 80's and 90's too like My Bloody Valentine, the Mary Chain, The Smiths etc. Filing? Ha ha, that's funny. By the way, my friend has 100,000 but he's a dealer and has no filing system whatsoever. Now that is a nightmare.

:O 10.000 albums... :clap:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

3 very really big surprises so far I'm sure you'll all agree.

1. jimbofisher only has 250 albums.

2. Jim-W has 10,000 records, and doesn't keep them in any kind of order.

3. The_Lhc keeps his records listed on a spreadsheet.

I'm shocked to my core, spreadsheets!!!!!!!??????? spreadsheets!!!!!!!!!???????????

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I'm shocked to my core, spreadsheets!!!!!!!??????? spreadsheets!!!!!!!!!???????????

Well I was trying to be a bit cool and carefree about filing and, as you suggested, holding a bit back. The ones inthe loft are loosely in American, British, Jazz, Folk, Blues categories. However, there are boxes that need to be sorted out but, you know I like not ordering them because it's a bit more unpredictable and interesting that way; the same sort of rush you get looking through crates of unsorted records. I owe it to my daughter to file them and put them on spreadsheets but if I ever told her I was going to do this she'd think I'd gone mad and have me sectioned. We like muddle.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Those that I have get played a lot!

Also i stopped getting vinyl in 1989 and back then didn't have a lot due to schoolboy budget and taping from mates collections. Started buying vinyl again about 18 months ago. I do have 2500 cds though.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Probably between 500 - 600* albums, filed away alphabetically, and like lots of people I would imagine, start with Abba and end with ZZ Top.

"Various Artists" follow ZZ Top.

* I would have more but I sold quite a few a year or two back when I had this crazy idea of going all digital. Silly boy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

My job's really dull, it's something to pass the time. It started in order to keep a check on the PWEI stuff, so if I see something online I can find out quickly whether I've got it or not to avoid buying stuff twice.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

jimbofisher said:
Those that I have get played a lot!

Also i stopped getting vinyl in 1989 and back then didn't have a lot due to schoolboy budget and taping from mates collections. Started buying vinyl again about 18 months ago. I do have 2500 cds though.

My vinyl buying did slow down a lot when cds became really prominent, which was a bad decision in hindsight, as that was the best period for buying vinyl. I've been trying to make up for it over the last 10 years, but occasional financial constraints have meant that sometimes, I've actually had to sell records. I've definitely sold 300 plus. :cry:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

DIB said:
Probably between 500 - 600* albums, filed away alphabetically, and like lots of people I would imagine, start with Abba and end with ZZ Top.

No, and no.

That's still a solid collection though. :cheers:

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
My job's really dull, it's something to pass the time. It started in order to keep a check on the PWEI stuff, so if I see something online I can find out quickly whether I've got it or not to avoid buying stuff twice.

I'm starting to get over the shock now, though I did have trouble sleeping last night. :grin:

Is there really that much PWEI stuff? I've had a few records of theirs over the years, but I think it's down to one 7" now, a bit of a rarity.

$(KGrHqR,!ngFIft2ijy!BSLj)YTZ+w~~60_35.JPG

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Jim-W said:
Well I was trying to be a bit cool and carefree about filing and, as you suggested, holding a bit back. The ones inthe loft are loosely in American, British, Jazz, Folk, Blues categories. However, there are boxes that need to be sorted out but, you know I like not ordering them because it's a bit more unpredictable and interesting that way; the same sort of rush you get looking through crates of unsorted records. I owe it to my daughter to file them and put them on spreadsheets but if I ever told her I was going to do this she'd think I'd gone mad and have me sectioned. We like muddle.

I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am of your collection, and if anyone here should get their collection on to spreadsheets, I think it's you.

I'm looking forward to finding out more detail on your collection.

I have one specific question, have you got an original copy of "The Psychedelic Sound of the 13th Floor Elevators"? My wife is desperate for one, but don't worry, I'm not going to make you an offer if you have.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts