The VALVE AMP thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
The only thing I might add is that there seems to be quite a lot of focus on reasons not to have a Valve Amp: heat, valve replacement, biasing, etc. Whilst these are real concerns, really these things are very minor and have no impact on day to day running. A good analogy might be a comparison with car tyres. You have to check the air pressures occasionally, and replace them. But on daily usage, you don’t even think about them.

TBF, under Advantages, I did say, "If you play to their strengths, they simply make music sound wonderful...so wonderful, that all the disadvantages melt away."

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I only really know about valve amps for guitar, but any half decent guitarist wouldnt use a tranny amp over valve amp but like i said thats only for guitar so dont know how they handle bass or drums and general music.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
jimmy1 said:
I only really know about valve amps for guitar, but any half decent guitarist wouldnt use a tranny amp over valve amp but like i said thats only for guitar so dont know how they handle bass or drums and general music.

The only way to find out is to scratch that itch.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
The only thing I might add is that there seems to be quite a lot of focus on reasons not to have a Valve Amp: heat, valve replacement, biasing, etc. Whilst these are real concerns, really these things are very minor and have no impact on day to day running. A good analogy might be a comparison with car tyres. You have to check the air pressures occasionally, and replace them. But on daily usage, you don’t even think about them.

TBF, under Advantages, I did say, "If you play to their strengths, they simply make music sound wonderful...so wonderful, that all the disadvantages melt away."

Yes I know. But still.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
jimmy1 said:

The only way to find out is to scratch that itch.

I would deffo need to hear one first due to cost, i bought all my stuff i use now blind tbh

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I’m on holiday for the next two weeks and having just moved house, I got into painting the lounge. In an attempt to make the task somewhat more pleasant, I set a playlist in the Mac mini and ran it through my Valve and Focal system. I’d moved the speakers out into free space a little (not much) to enable easier access to paint the walls behind them.

I clicked play.

Oh, the sound..... 3 dimensional, tight bass, beautiful liquid vocals, believable piano and sax, properly textured double bass and percussion that was, well, percussive.

Even Oasis sounded emotional and delicate (Cast no shadow).

Having slept on it, I’m now considering going completely Valve. The Devialet is a great Amp, but I’m seriously beginning to think that any SS Amp can’t do what valves can.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
Having slept on it, I’m now considering going completely Valve. The Devialet is a great Amp, but I’m seriously beginning to think that any SS Amp can’t do what valves can.

I wondered how long that would take you. *biggrin*

You also have the option of something like Pathos....or even a second hand 35i.

CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

Me too.

One of the best and easiest to live with might be from Prima Luna with their autocalibrating circuitry.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

I fancy some Icon Audio monoblocs. - Or perhaps a NuVista 800....

But it's early days yet. I still think I need some speakers first, and as I've never had a pair of floorstanders, the Reference 3's (I think the 5's would be too big) are still on my radar.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

Me too.

One of the best and easiest to live with might be from Prima Luna with their autocalibrating circuitry.

Most Unison Research Amps have auto biasing too. To be honest, the biasing thing doesn't bother me and wouldn't put me off.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

But it's early days yet. I still think I need some speakers first, and as I've never had a pair of floorstanders, the Reference 3's (I think the 5's would be too big) are still on my radar.

I like your thinking....of the 2, I would be tempted by Icon Audio Monoblocks driving Ref 3s - or possibly VTL....though VTL are the most Neutral sounding Valve Amps I've heard, which I've only heard driving expensive Focal Utopias - so hard to judge what they'd sound like driving something else.

Infiniteloop said:
Al ears said:
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

Me too.

Most Unison Research Amps have auto biasing too. To be honest, the biasing thing doesn't bother me and wouldn't put me off.

Me neither but it may make all the difference to a valve amp newly that wants to try tube-rolling.

That and the fact that they sound bloody brilliant that is. ;-)

CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:

I like your thinking....of the 2, I would be tempted by Icon Audio Monoblocks driving Ref 3s - or possibly VTL....though VTL are the most Neutral sounding Valve Amps I've heard, which I've only heard driving expensive Focal Utopias - so hard to judge what they'd sound like driving something else.

Would love to hear some VTLs but they are probably going to be way outside my potential budget

SallyB

Jan 18, 2022
Visit site
Thanks both. Love the looks of both McIntosh and Parasound, but sadly never had the opportunity to hear them. Will switch to a new thread later, but it doesn’t look like it will fly!😀

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts