The ultimate junk shop find, possibly....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Happened to call into my local house clearance shop today, having bought some nice odds and ends in the past, highish end speakers from the 70's in a battered state for a tenner sort of thing.

Today, I found a Garrard 401 with 2 SME 3009 mk2 arms [ one was a spare and boxed ] plus a MC Ortofon cartridge......12 quid....
smiley-tongue-out.gif

I haven't just put this on as a boast , actually I need a bit of advice about the arm, they are missing the counter weight on the wire bits, can anyone advise on sorting this out? Would a nut on a bit of cotton suffice and how does it get set up ?

Cant wait to here it .

Cheers, Steve .

A

Anonymous

When I say "Cant wait to here it " I actually mean " Cant wait to hear it "
smiley-embarassed.gif

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
letsannoytheneighbours said:
Happened to call into my local house clearance shop today, having bought some nice odds and ends in the past, highish end speakers from the 70's in a battered state for a tenner sort of thing.

Today, I found a Garrard 401 with 2 SME 3009 mk2 arms [ one was a spare and boxed ] plus a MC Ortofon cartridge......12 quid....
smiley-tongue-out.gif

I haven't just put this on as a boast , actually I need a bit of advice about the arm, they are missing the counter weight on the wire bits, can anyone advise on sorting this out? Would a nut on a bit of cotton suffice and how does it get set up ?

Cant wait to here it .

Cheers, Steve .

Is this what you had in mind?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-SME-3009-3012-Bias-Weight-/320683577896?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aaa3b1228#ht_500wt_922
Bloody good find well done!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Do you want to make a serious profit on it ? I'll give you £ 50.00 for it . Just because other people are asking £1000.00 for them doesn't mean they get that much for them !

Seriously though , well done , a nice find . I fancy having one so that I can have a go at putting a new plinth on it . Most of the plinths I've seen on other people's 401s don't do much for me . I have got a pile or two of old oak around the place, some of which I think could be made into a very attractive , and hopefully , unusual plinth . But as I'm going to be picking up my significantly more expensive new turntable tomorrow that is a project for another time ,

Nick

A

Anonymous

[/quote]

Is this what you had in mind? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Genuine-SME-3009-3012-Bias-Weight-/320683577896?pt=Turntable_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aaa3b1228#ht_500wt_922 Bloody good find well done![/quote]

ahhhhh well spotted :)

A

Anonymous

shropshire lad said:
Do you want to make a serious profit on it ? I'll give you £ 50.00 for it . Just because other people are asking £1000.00 for them doesn't mean they get that much for them ! Seriously though , well done , a nice find . I fancy having one so that I can have a go at putting a new plinth on it . Most of the plinths I've seen on other people's 401s don't do much for me . I have got a pile or two of old oak around the place, some of which I think could be made into a very attractive , and hopefully , unusual plinth . But as I'm going to be picking up my significantly more expensive new turntable tomorrow that is a project for another time , Nick

50 quid.... ha ha :) nice try .. I think this might be a keeper, I am using the cartridge from it on my Rega 3 just now and I don't want to go back to work, just listen to it.... I need to sort out the arm on the Garrard , will be bidding on the weight on fleabay shortly .

The plinth on mine is a bit naff looking so will possibly get my brother to fashion one for me [ he is a much better hand at this sort of thing than me , he will be a bit envious though, right now . ]

Apparently the 301 is a better deck so will be scouring the junk shops for one of those now ha ha,
smiley-tongue-out.gif

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
letsannoytheneighbours said:
shropshire lad said:
Do you want to make a serious profit on it ? I'll give you £ 50.00 for it . Just because other people are asking £1000.00 for them doesn't mean they get that much for them ! Seriously though , well done , a nice find . I fancy having one so that I can have a go at putting a new plinth on it . Most of the plinths I've seen on other people's 401s don't do much for me . I have got a pile or two of old oak around the place, some of which I think could be made into a very attractive , and hopefully , unusual plinth . But as I'm going to be picking up my significantly more expensive new turntable tomorrow that is a project for another time , Nick

50 quid.... ha ha :) nice try ..

Apparently the 301 is a better deck so will be scouring the junk shops for one of those now ha ha,
smiley-tongue-out.gif

Well ,if there is any justice in the World you won't find one because you've had your good luck . Don't be greedy and let someone else have a bit of good luck ! Only joking . Good luck with your quest and let's hope your brother can do your new deck justice ,

Nick

A

Anonymous

I've done a deal with the bloke in the shop, he will turn all the old hifi kit and vinyl over to me and we will split the profits [ ebay sales ] or I will just buy stuff at a fair price.....

Malvern, where I live, is full of old rich blokes ..... we had a radar establishment here since the 40's so we have lots of ageing gadget freaks.. So far I have bagged a pair of Spendor BC1s , Sonabs, an Armstrong valve amp and a Lenco 70 for free and loads of other retro stuff very cheap. I use the gear for a while then pass it on, sometimes sell it but some of it ends up with friends or family. My dad has the Sonabs, they look right in his 1970's style house .

Starting to get a great system together for pocket money.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Malvern , eh? That's just down the road , well an hour away , and in this area you've got to drive an hour to get anywhere . Might just have to pop down one of these fine days ,

Nick

A

Anonymous

First listen right now, using the ADC XLM from the Planer.. the Ortofon is quite low output, even though I have a MC pre amp it is a bit quiet.

It has a better sound stage than the Rega, also the music seems a bit more focused and tight generally. Going by the strobe the motor is driving nice and steady.

I will set it up properly in the next few days and sort out the missing weight, even though it works without it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts