[Plasma vs LCD vs The World] A longwinded, confused, brain dump and a sore head. Help please?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

This is my first post here, and I’m sure you’ll have heard this all before…

I’ve been looking into a new TV for about 6 months now, reading far too much, probably! I’ve been close to purchase many times, but there’s always been one little thing that crops up at the last minute to put doubts in my mind. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on my situation and could offer any advice. I think I need one last push!

The TV will be initially used for upscaled DVDs, Xbox 360 and Freeview (including football). In the future, I’d like to add a BD Player.

I had my mind set on a 32” LCD for ages, toying between the Panasonics 32LXD70 and the Sony 32D3000. I decided on the Sony, but then read about issues with blacks smearing, and saw the TV in the flesh and thought it might be a bit too small.

I thought I’d wait for the new Panasonic 32LZ85 and, especially, the 37LZ85 as I think I prefer the slightly bigger 37”. I also convinced myself I could stretch to £800, which would bring the larger sets into budget.

All good, but niggling doubts remain over motion smearing and black quality.

I then saw the Panasonic 37PX80 which has received good initial reviews and looked great when I saw a shop demo. I was initially put off by the 1024x720 resolution, but have read around that (technically and how plasmas work) and convinced myself that’s probably not an issue. The main problem here though is the green plasma trails which are being reported, and the image retention issue(especially whites on black) which I think would really bug me. I’d use this set for a fair bit of 360 gaming, so I think these issues may be highlighted more through that. I’m also slightly cautious about the ‘wrapped in cotton-wool’ approach needed for plasma – ie don’t lie them flat, run-in period requirements, and the fact that I think I’ll be constantly paranoid about putting the brightness, etc, up too high for fear of image retention.

I now see today that I can have the 32d3000 from Amazon for £598 with a 3 year warranty.

Ideally, I’d like a 37” (I think, but maybe 32" would do) with good SD performance, good blacks, no smearing and no plasma trails. Does such a thing exist?!

Ugh. My head hurts. Any advice? (hee hee, sorry!)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Well, can't put all your fears to rest (e.g. never heard the one about lying your plasma flat, but why would you want to do this?!). However, I can tell you, the main reason I purchased a Panasonic plasma a couple of years back was for gaming with my Xbox 360 - I just felt I was missing out on a lot and when I got it, I realised I was right! The 360 looks absolutely fantastic on a plasma, and I've never had issues with green plasma trails and certainly not image retention (see this post for info on screen burn and plasmas). Don't worry about the 720p resolution - at the moment there are very very few games which actually output at 1080p on the 360 (and a lot of those that claim to are actually upscaling the 720p image to 1080p so they're not true 1080p). On a 37" set, you probably won't even be able to tell the difference anyway at reasonable viewing distances.

My Panasonic is a 6 series so actually 2 generations old once the 8 series is out, so I imagine they've improved quite a bit as well now. Also, if you think 32" is going to be too small, it probably is. The worst thing would be to get a 32" back into your house and then spend time thinking, "I wish I'd got a bigger TV" rather than enjoying it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oh, and see if you can get a proper demo in a properly lit demo room rather than looking at a set in a bright showroom. It makes all the difference and gives you a better impression of what the set will be like in your living room.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback!

The lying down thing really isn't a big deal and I think only applies to transit - something about screens not being able to take the weight of the set. Alongside the image retention risk (which I agree can be mitigated) it simply added to my impressions that plasmas are rather delicate vis-a-vis LCDs. If I ever need to move the TV in the future, it just worried me about how easy this might prove to be.

I had another look at the Sony 32D3000 at lunch and it's a nice set and not as small as I thought. For some reason my brain had remembered it as being the size that 26" sets actually are...Don't ask!

The latest I can leave it is until the end of April. My motivation for the purchase is to tie in with an Xbox 360 and the new GTA.

At the moment, the Sony is £600 + 3 year warranty at Amazon, which seems a very good deal.

My only alternative at present is the Panasonic 37PX80, which I should be able to get for £50-100 pounds more, though perhaps without such a good warranty. I'm leaning this way at the moment (ie this hour!)

The only reason to go for the Sony is if this offer is too good to be true. If I reject the Sony and focus on the Pana plasma, I figure I my as well wait a few weeks to get some ideas of the other new plasmas and LCDs from Panasonic before making my final decision - I secretly hope that hese models will have something that fixes motion/plasma blur once and for all!

A

Anonymous

The things you are pondering are very similar to my own. I'm trying to decide between the Sony 32D3000 from Amazon at £600, the Panasonic TH-37PX70 with a similar price from Hughes Direct via Amazon or the Panasonic TH-37PX80 from Dixons at £670 ish.

Am off to John Lewis later in the hope of spotting the PX80 in the flesh.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="goosee"]
The only reason to go for the Sony is if this offer is too good to be true.[/quote]
I'm of the belief that, no matter how good an offer is, if it's not providing me everything I want, it's not really a good offer... Tricky one though, I'll grant you!

A

Anonymous

I would go for the Plasma, the depth of colours on plasma are much more natural than LCD. After you have let your eyes calm down from the initial brightness of LCD, look closely at the Blacks, and the contrast in colours. Also, and probably most important , get the shop keeper to show you SD, both on LCD and Plasma. This is what you are going to be watching most of the time. If they refuse walk away and try someone else. If you like football, try going when there is some sport on the TV. Saturday afternoon perhaps.

A

Anonymous

Having spent half hour last night in John Lewis I agree that the picture on a Plasma is more natural and the blacks are more black.

Among other things, John Lewis was streaming football to the TV's and the ghosting on higher quality lcd's wasn't nearly as bad as I expected.

Regarding the plasma sets, when they were showing a dark scene, the reflections in the screen from the store lights and other tv's was very prominant. I am left wondering if the effect will be as bad in a home environment.

The store had the TH-37PX80 and PX70 sitting side by side, aside from reflections, both gave an excellent picture, though to my extremely untrained eye, I couldn't see any difference in picture quality between the two.

Of all the tv's on display I preferred the picture from the Sony 32D3000, however I'm in the market for a 37".

I'm left none the wiser over which 37" to buy. The Plasmas have a lovely natural picture but reflect other light sources, the lcd's have a much more "in your face" picture which I assume could be toned down a bit using the settings.

As an alternative to plasmas I'm considering the Samsung 37R87, it was sitting alongside the more expensive Samsung 37M and in SD was clearly showing a nicer picture.

The picture was not a nice as the Plasma tv's but although a a little bright the picture was quite good overall and being lcd didn't suffer any reflection problems.

I'd certainly benefit hearing from anyone with a Plasma tv at home where the tv is sited near a window as to how bad the reflections actually are.

Other than that I think I'll be flipping a coin.....

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I'll admit, relection can be an issue (see my post here to see my views). However, I would point out, this is ever since I moved my living room round so the TV was facing the large window I have in the front room. Previous to that, it was side on and I had no issues. Also, this post seems to suggest the latest Panasonic's have an anti-reflection technology built in (which should include the PX80).

A

Anonymous

I've flipped the coin and ordered the PX80 from Dixons at £660 ish delivered, well I hope it will be delivered.....

A

Anonymous

Yep. I'm almost set to go down the same route myself, I think. My only issue now is with the potential plasma green smear on games. There doesn't seem to be much comment on this (with this specific TV) out there yet, so I'd be interested in your thoughts, once you've got the set.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Oaklec"]
I've flipped the coin and ordered the PX80 from Dixons at £660 ish delivered, well I hope it will be delivered.....
[/quote]

Good for you!

I still can't decide whether to replace my LCD with this Plasma?

A

Anonymous

Can't help you there, I'm only buying as my old CRT is finally keeling over.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts