Cartridge advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.

I've just finished sorting out my Garrard 401 + SME 3012 + Shure V15 Mk2.

This front end is sounding excellent, even drawing comment from "the other half" which is unusual.

Songs like White Rabbit ( Jefferson Airplane ) and The first time ever I saw your face ( Roberta Flack ) both from the compilation "By Invitation Only" on Atlantic drew particular praise.. and rightly so.

I was impressed with quality and detail present

But I personally find that the V15 Mk2 is a little bass shy.

I have several other cartridges that I've tried: Audio Technica AT95e, ADC QLM30 Mk3, Ortofon F15e, Shure M75-6, Shure M75EJ.

Of all of them the AT95e has the bass extension that the V15 is missing, but the Shure is so much better in other ways.

Any suggestions as far as cartridges to try? MM or MI only, not MC.

Would the V15 Mk3 have the bass extension of the AT95e?

I also have a Shure M97 body but the HE stylus is long gone, would it be worth getting another stylus for it?

I used it on a Dual CS-506 and it used to sound fine 30 years ago, but I seem to recall that the AT95 beat it in the bass dept. again but not elsewhere which is the same as the V15 Mk2.is faring now.

Nothing grossly expensive please.. maximum £100.

Is Ebay a good source rather than local dealer who seems expensive compared?

Apologies for all the questions, I'm very out of touch with the vinyl world these days :)

A

Anonymous

Interesting post. I just bought an AT95E and agree with your comments on bass, but it is down on detail. LP Gear in the US sell upgraded styli for the AT95E which, judging from one I heard the other day, certainly improves the detail while retaining the other plus points of the cartridge, so that's what I'll be trying in the next few weeks.

Not sure about the V15 mk2 vs mk3 since it's a long time since I've heard either. The M97HE is a lesser cartridge but you can get upgraded styli for them, too.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Have a look at the Grado Prestige line up. Pretty good in the Bass dept. Dont let the 'prestige' tag put you off, they start from around 50 quid and up to around 150.

The thing is and IIRC the 3012 is a fairly high mass arm so it should work best with a low compliance cart of the mc variety,in theory !!. But there is a whole load of poo spoken about this TT mularky and so imo for 50 quid, well its worth a punt on the grado or maybe an ortofon red/ blue thingy ( personaly i dont like ortofons, hence thingy !). If you dont like what you hear you can always shove em on the Bay. Goldring 2000 series are good carts too, perhaps give the 2200 a shot.

A

Anonymous

I will have to try and hear the Grados and those Ortofons.

I've read a couple of good things about the red & blue Ortofons.

I did have an Ortofon VMS20e many years ago, on a Sansui SR222.. it wasn't bad for the price.

A

Anonymous

I currently use the Goldring 1022GX with my Garrard 401 and it works well, especially in the bass. I think there are four cartridges in the range which are the same apart from the stylus, so you can start with the cheapest and upgrade each time you replace the needle.

The Linn Adikt is a very similar sounding cartridge (made for Linn by Goldring, I have been told) but it is a bit of a faff to fit to non-Linn arms.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that.. I'll add the Goldring to the listening list..

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend Goldring 2100, I have just brought back to life my Systemdek II & Moth RB250 arm after at least 10 years hidden in the spare room. A quick service and set up with the new cartridge, the sound is great and it has revitalised my record collection. The detail level much surpasses my old ortofon 520. The mid range/treble balances so well with the bass, It has made me want to listen to records again.

TRENDING THREADS