The Ultimate Guide To High-End is on the way – we need your help!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

[quote user="thfcwestlower"]
Would Cyrus's 'X series of components be described as 'high end'? I dont really think so. Im referring to the DAC-XP and Mono X in particular.
[/quote]

But a system built around these products could feasibly cost in excess of £9000...surely this is bordering on 'high end' in cost terms alone.

You're right about the upgrade bug. The better my system sounds, the more I value it and the more I am willing to invest to enjoy the music more.

A

Anonymous

I have a quote...

"Owning a high-end CD player gives me an enormous sense of satisfaction. Everybody I know owns compact discs, but none of them have a proper HiFi. I expect most of them can't really understand what a separate CD player is. To the majority of people a "CD player" is a term used to describe the entire mini system, or similar.

My high-end CD player is gloriously built and looks beautiful. If stands on top of my rack and is a real centre piece in the living room. I don't really tell people what it costs, but we all know it's pricey and owning it gives me enormous satisfaction - the high end really gives you a pride of ownership.

I love to sit down in the evenings with a glass of wine listening to my CDs. It's hard to believe how much information my player rips off of these 16bit discs. I won't begin to tell you how I felt when it was discovered that my high-end CD player was actually a Pioneer DVD player, but I have since sold it."

:)

A

Anonymous

Andrew do you know about the scandal I'm referring too? I thought it was a funny quote.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="darrenwm1"]Andrew do you know about the scandal I'm referring too?[/quote]

Scandal? Were questions asked in the House?

[quote user="darrenwm1"]I thought it was a funny quote.[/quote]

I'm sure...

A

Anonymous

Another quote I've made for you. No troubles spared...

"I've been into music all of my life but have never had the opportunity to own a proper system. Recently my wife and I have settled down and bought a lovely and large home, and agreed that it was the time to buy us something that we allow us to enjoy our music collection to the full and dedicate a room to it.

We visited several dealers and settled for a one-brand system that we both adored the sound of.

I've got it home and set up now and really have a warm feeling inside when I see the glowing lights. Now I just need to wait five and a half weeks for it to warm up, get a few power supplies, the appropriate rack to space the components, and then we can enjoy the music!"

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]
You don't have any of that trouble with a computer, do you?

You just switch it on, sit back and enjoy that lovely blue screen.
[/quote]

None of those troubles yet but I'm all backed-up and prepared.

There are still some Philips CDM12.4s available via eBay Taiwan if you need to prepare yourself for your "error" screen.

Regards,

Darren xx

A

Anonymous

Would S-Video by a suitable connection from getting the most out of my high-end screen, or is component better?

A

Anonymous

nah that Avid is rubbish, it would always be covered with drool so its sound would be severely compromised ;-)

A

Anonymous

to post an on-topic reply...
To me high-end is never a reality, merely the relentless pursuit of fidelity. It is what we all lust after, regardless of the exisiting components we have. It is always knowing there is something better out. Something more natural, neutral, musical, revealing. High-end is the pot of gold at the end of the hi-fi rainbow...
IMHO of course

A

Anonymous

......which is why i've taken an interest in mains cables now, because I will reach that audio nirvana even if no one tells me what or where it is......
emotion-7.gif

Edit: Oh I think you just gave me a clue: Types HiFi rainbow into TomTom

A

Anonymous

[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]nah that Avid is rubbish, it would always be covered with drool so its sound would be severely compromised ;-)[/quote]

LOL.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JAXON5"]......which is why i've taken an interest in mains cables now, because I will reach that audio nirvana even if no one tells me what or where it is......
emotion-7.gif

Edit: Oh I think you just gave me a clue: Types HiFi rainbow into TomTom[/quote]

lol, sorry i was feeling rather philosophical last night... though i still stand by what i said. just think, if money was no object, what would you buy? That is high-end!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="ifitsoundsgoodlistentoit"]just think, if money was no object, what would you buy? That is high-end![/quote]

No, that would be high priced....

A

Anonymous

but if money isnt an object then no price is high
tear drop read my other post and then you will understand what i was saying...

A

Anonymous

[quote user="darrenwm1"]I have a quote...

"Owning a high-end CD player gives me an enormous sense of satisfaction. Everybody I know owns compact discs, but none of them have a proper HiFi. I expect most of them can't really understand what a separate CD player is. To the majority of people a "CD player" is a term used to describe the entire mini system, or similar.

My high-end CD player is gloriously built and looks beautiful. If stands on top of my rack and is a real centre piece in the living room. I don't really tell people what it costs, but we all know it's pricey and owning it gives me enormous satisfaction - the high end really gives you a pride of ownership.

I love to sit down in the evenings with a glass of wine listening to my CDs. It's hard to believe how much information my player rips off of these 16bit discs. I won't begin to tell you how I felt when it was discovered that my high-end CD player was actually a Pioneer DVD player, but I have since sold it."

:)[/quote]

What's this, the Goldmund story?

A

Anonymous

darrenwm1:I have a quote...

:) What's this, the Goldmund story?

It's the story of a princess Goldmund.... who turned out to me a man in drag. Or a prince who on closer inspection turned out to be a frog.

Yes, in the world of marketing and imagination, anything can happen... Oh, how I LOVE hifi! Even in it's darkest moments you can find the humor in it. Just think of all those poor blokes (most probably not women) believing they reached audio nirvana with a pioneer dvd player. You could call them blessed too...just keep holding on to that feeling, chaps!

A

Anonymous

hello!

I think the so called hi-end audio is a sham!

It is the perfect example of how far the ADVERTISING & SALES PROMOTION can go in convincing the buyer to buy something that may be [or is] 10-20% better in quality than commonly available audio stuff but a many times costlier!

I mean most of us are not fortunate enough to buy such things after paying the house bills. But I wonder those who do, are they really fortunate?

I think when you are comparing a system with another which is [say] 5 times expensive, the question should pop up-can it be 5 times better-in terms of fidelity?....I guess...the answer is NO!

Ciao!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts