The sound of silence

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I have spent the last 6 months looking for speakers for a uniti 2 which has taken me to about 10 dealers around the country. In most there is nothing playing. All that amazing kit just dormant , nothing to show this is what you may want or aspire to. My local dealer only ever plays through Sonos which I have never liked though the sound bar was pretty good. TV dealers don't have blank screens why aren't hifi shops filled with amazing sound.?

abacus

Most folks don't take much notice what's on a TV, however they do take note of what music is playing, and if they don't like it they will probably leave.

As the dealer does not know what type of music the next customer will like, it is better to leave it until they arrive.

Bill

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Generally when a hifi is on display it will not be set up in the best position. It might be squashed into a corner, boxed in by other systems etc. Hifi does need proper positioning to sound good.

Plus you can have 20 TVs playing something different, on mute, but you can't do that with HiFi as it would sound horrible.

Timpd

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
They could always hook something up in the demo room between auditions. Just seems a missed opportunity to catch any impulse buys or open up some new avenues for potential buyers.

rainsoothe

i agree with OP, everytime I went to a hifi store, there was something playing, and it made me wanna audition stuff, and at least enquire about what was playing. That's how I learned about the wonderful Marantz PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3 pairing. And that's how I found out how Naim mu-so sounds like, even though I wasnt looking for such a product.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
We will usually have a Naim Muso playing in the vinyl store, and the KEF Blades are more often than not playing on the top floor through a Classe Delta pre/power. In the reception area where the counter is, there is a choice of what we can use - Sonos Play speakers, Denon HEOS speakers, B&W wireless speakers, Denon and Marantz mini systems, and Ruark radios. If we do play anything in this area, it is usually via the Denon HEOS amplifier with a pair of speakers using Spotify or Tidal, which the current speaker of choice is the Sonus Faber Toys. The problem is with music choice. You don't play anything you don't like, and when you've been in the industry for any serious length of time, you avoid playing anything you do like, as you get sick of hearing it and end up never listening to it in your own private time. Sometimes, the sound of silence is a welcome change though! Sometimes we will suddenly find ourselves working in silence as whatever we were listening to has finished, but we've just been too busy to notice. As has been mentioned, music choice is important - if we played some of music we like, we'd get a few people walking straight back out again!

TRENDING THREADS