The site has gone into slow mode again ZZzzzzzzz

A

Anonymous

I know it's annoying though I guess they're aware of it as much as we are. There must be a pretty heavy load at the moment and servers don't come for free.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Octopo:I know it's annoying though I guess they're aware of it as much as we are. There must be a pretty heavy load at the moment and servers don't come for free.

I appreciate that - this has been my line of work in the past.

I would say that "they" are possibly having more problems with IIS / ASP than actual server horsepower or bandwidth.

IIS runs 'application pools' for certain services, and these 'application pools' are notorius for running out of resources under heavy loads.

And you can "recycle" them periodically, which is why I think the site speeds up again from time to time.

For the non technical - IIS = "Internet Information Server" - this is the product that runs on the server, serving up the web pages.

ASP = "Active Server Pages" which in basic terms work with IIS to serve up dynamic content (this forum for example).

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:
Assuming they are using IIS of course...

Easy to find out....

http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.whathifi.com

Results in... (don't know if the formatting will be retained here)

Netblock OwnerIP addressOSWeb ServerLast changedHaymarket Publishing Group Ltd IP Space92.52.74.171Windows Server 2003Microsoft-IIS/6.030-Dec-2008Haymarket Publishing Group Ltd IP Space92.52.74.171Windows Server 2003Microsoft-IIS/6.019-Jul-2008Akamai195.92.229.56Windows 2000Microsoft-IIS/5.015-Jun-2005Cable Wireless Telecommunication Services GmbH195.92.255.169NT4/Windows 98Microsoft-IIS/4.013-Jun-2002SAQ Internet Ltd.195.2.153.254NT4/Windows 98Microsoft-IIS/4.013-Mar-2001

A

Anonymous

I think the reacharound to these forums has caused some of myÿNZ clients to lose business - it's very slow to upload to their servers based in Holland. The internet eh ? boooooooooooo.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:I think the reacharound to these forums has caused some of my NZ clients to lose business - it's very slow to upload to their servers based in Holland. The internet eh ? boooooooooooo.

I'm not quite sure I understand any of that post, but I'm currently wondering how often you guys take your cars apart to find out who makes the washers in the brake system master cylinder...
emotion-3.gif

A

Anonymous

Reacharound: slang used in the world of web when things aren't going right with servers all over the place.

boooooooooo: Not appreciated.ÿ

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Octopo:I think the reacharound to these forums has caused some of my NZ clients to lose business - it's very slow to upload to their servers based in Holland. The internet eh ? boooooooooooo.

I'm not quite sure I understand any of that post, but I'm currently wondering how often you guys take your cars apart to find out who makes the washers in the brake system master cylinder...
emotion-3.gif

Mr Everard, I do believe you avoided the use of the word "anorak" there - well yes, I guess I have to own up... But I don't own one at least....

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Anorak? Nothing was further from my mind. But I will flag up these periods of slowdown to our Digital Media Ops Team in the morning, though part of the problem is that the site usership is expanding faster than the servers can handle, or so I am told.

But then I no more understand how the site is hosted and works than I would be able to print the magazine.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:Reacharound: slang used in the world of web when things aren't going right with servers all over the place.
boooooooooo: Not appreciated.

Got all that - it was the bit about NZ clients losing business that had me reynarded.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Octopo:Reacharound: slang used in the world of web when things aren't going right with servers all over the place.
boooooooooo: Not appreciated.

Got all that - it was the bit about NZ clients losing business that had me reynarded.

You don't think NZ businesses do much business? I'll have to rethink my client basis.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:You don't think NZ businesses do much business? I'll have to rethink my client basis.

No, more about how the slowness of the site was affecting them...

A

Anonymous

I think you're looking at it the wrong angle Andrew. It's the new Plinius product range, they're waiting on the crew with extraordinary anticipation.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Octopo:I think you're looking at it the wrong angle Andrew. It's the new Plinius product range, they're waiting on the crew with extraordinary anticipation.

What crew?

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Octopo:I think you're looking at it the wrong angle Andrew. It's the new Plinius product range, they're waiting on the crew with extraordinary anticipation.

What crew?

If it's any consolation, I don't know what he's going on about either.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Anyway, back on topic, the people with thick glasses are working on a solution.

I think reinforcing the stereotype that softies are young, spotty, have pale complexions and/or wear thick glasses is quite unfair. Some of them look like me for instance.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
PJPro:I think reinforcing the stereotype that softies are young, spotty, have pale complexions and/or wear thick glasses is quite unfair. Some of them look like me for instance.

Our Digital Media people are anything but softies. You should have seen some of the emails that have been flying around of late...

TRENDING THREADS