The 'perfect' system?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
"Oh man, wiping down your vinyls with a cloth, positioning the stylus in the groove and racing back to the sofa, so you don't miss the intro and then repeating everything again when you flip the vinyl over, so masochistic but I get it, for most people it's part of the fun."

I've solved the racing back to the sofa as I've positioned my deck and phono amp next to the sofa. As for actually getting the LP out of the sleeve, putting it on the platter, dropping the stylus... still a bit of a pain for my lazy ass :ROFLMAO:
Vinyl mate, vinyl.... there is no such thing as vinyls. :cool:

record_spot

Over the years I've gone down the upgrade path and sometimes instantly regretted the choices I've made. However I've recently come to the conclusion that my current system, albeit modest, is both functionally and aesthetically the best system for my needs. That's not to say that the desire to upgrade has gone away, but the more I drool over 'better' system components the more I realise my current choices are perfect for me. Anyone else have this 'first world' dilemma :rolleyes:

If forty-odd years of mucking about in hifi taught me anything, it's that audiophiles will get themselves wrapped up in minutiae that broadly don't matter (and by that I mean the "everything is important" shtick),

Otherwise, find and know the sound that you like, and take it from there. Also, move your speakers around a bit every now and then. Have that as a freebie.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
"Oh man, wiping down your vinyls with a cloth, positioning the stylus in the groove and racing back to the sofa, so you don't miss the intro and then repeating everything again when you flip the vinyl over, so masochistic but I get it, for most people it's part of the fun."

I've solved the racing back to the sofa as I've positioned my deck and phono amp next to the sofa. As for actually getting the LP out of the sleeve, putting it on the platter, dropping the stylus... still a bit of a pain for my lazy ass :ROFLMAO:
Genius LOL (y)
:giggle:

Reactions: JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I won't be upgrading again for some time if at all. I love listening to my system now. It seems just right to me. It didn't cost a fortune but then it wasn't very cheap either. I replaced my old larger B&W 602 S3 with the newer B&W 707 S2. I also bought some quite nice stands. When I listened to the 707 as compared with the 602, they were truly excellent, not quite as bass heavy but very good definition. The problem with them for me is that there are times when I listen to stuff like Primus, Led Zeppelin, Gong at high volumes. That is where the 602 Excell over the much smaller 707. Since my Marantz PM8005 is designed to run at 4 Ohms per channel, which incidentally ups the output from 70 Watts or so, to 100 Watts, I decided to run the speakers together. That was a very good decision. I can still hear the excellent sound of the more expensive and more modern 707 but I also have that really nice depth that you only get with bigger speakers. Another advantage I believe, is that the speakers are not having to work quite so hard now only needing to handle 25 Watts each rather than 35. I was going to replace my pure silver 12 AWG wires, with pure copper instead because I read that it gives a mellower sound. The dealer who sold me the B&W 707 S2 for £500 new said he didn't think the difference wouldn't be noticeable.
So, I have the Marantz PM8005 that replaced my PM7200, that was £550. The Meridian 206 CD player cost me £280 and I have to say it's the most beautiful sounding CD player I've heard yet and in fantastic condition. The Tech Guy, Russ, in Cambridge can service and recap it for £275, which I'll do in a couple of months. He also told me that the lasers don't tend to go on these and you can't get them.
So all in my latest upgrade cost me
£550 Marantz PM8005
£280 Meridion 206
£500 B&W 707 S2
£360 (2006) B&W 602 S2
£116 (2006) Silver Anniversary 12 AWG 4 Strand which I've now split into 2 and 2 and not bi wiring any more.
£16.50 Phono RCA leads, Van Damme Neutrik Rean.
£50 Speaker Stands.
£30 various banana plugs.
£1712.5016879531029362596894581023489162.jpg I believe is the total spend some of which began in 2006.
Of course I haven't added the ££££ I've spent on CDs but they're not hugely expensive usually although a brand new copy of Gong Live etc, cost me £38 and it was the only new copy of this CD I could find in Britain. I've seen copies of this being sold for well over £100.
I thought I'd share the cost of my system and my thoughts are that I don't watch Tele'. I do read a lot and keep abreast of Political and Corporate events via the various hate speech platforms like Rumble, Telegram, YouTube, BitChute.
But like many of you guys, when I go out for a while I can't wait to get home again and listen to my music which gives me and my twin brother who I live in the same isolated farm house with more pleasure than could be properly put into words. Pure Gold. If you managed to read all this, thank you and I applaud your patience.

Last edited:

WayneKerr

I won't be upgrading again for some time if at all. I love listening to my system now. It seems just right to me. It didn't cost a fortune but then it wasn't very cheap either. I replaced my old larger B&W 602 S3 with the newer B&W 707 S2. I also bought some quite nice stands. When I listened to the 707 as compared with the 602, they were truly excellent, not quite as bass heavy but very good definition. The problem with them for me is that there are times when I listen to stuff like Primus, Led Zeppelin, Gong at high volumes. That is where the 602 Excell over the much smaller 707. Since my Marantz PM8005 is designed to run at 4 Ohms per channel, which incidentally ups the output from 70 Watts or so, to 100 Watts, I decided to run the speakers together. That was a very good decision. I can still hear the excellent sound of the more expensive and more modern 707 but I also have that really nice depth that you only get with bigger speakers. Another advantage I believe, is that the speakers are not having to work quite so hard now only needing to handle 25 Watts each rather than 35. I was going to replace my pure silver 12 AWG wires, with pure copper instead because I read that it gives a mellower sound. The dealer who sold me the B&W 707 S2 for £500 new said he didn't think the difference wouldn't be noticeable.
So, I have the Marantz PM8005 that replaced my PM7200, that was £550. The Meridian 206 CD player cost me £280 and I have to say it's the most beautiful sounding CD player I've heard yet and in fantastic condition. The Tech Guy, Russ, in Cambridge can service and recap it for £275, which I'll do in a couple of months. He also told me that the lasers don't tend to go on these and you can't get them.
So all in my latest upgrade cost me
£550 Marantz PM8005
£280 Meridion 206
£500 B&W 707 S2
£360 (2006) B&W 602 S2
£116 (2006) Silver Anniversary 12 AWG 4 Strand which I've now split into 2 and 2 and not bi wiring any more.
£16.50 Phono RCA leads, Van Damme Neutrik Rean.
£1632.50 I believe is the total spend some of which began in 2006.
Of course I haven't added the ££££ I've spent on CDs but they're not hugely expensive usually although a brand new copy of Gong Live etc, cost me £38 and it was the only new copy of this CD I could find in Britain. I've seen copies of this being sold for well over £100.
I thought I'd share the cost of my system and my thoughts are that I don't watch Tele'. I do read a lot and keep abreast of Political and Corporate events via the various hate speech platforms like Rumble, Telegram, YouTube, BitChute.
But like many of you guys, when I go out for a while I can't wait to get home again and listen to my music which gives me and my twin brother who I live in the same isolated farm house with more pleasure than could be properly put into words. Pure Gold. If you managed to read all this, thank you and I applaud your patience.
I hate to think what I've spent over the last ten years, and desperately try not to think about it, but I've certainly arrived at my happy place :)

Reactions: Gray and JDL

Gray

...Another advantage I believe, is that the speakers are not having to work quite so hard now
Possibly, but each pair will still take all they need from your amp - giving that a harder time.
Though you may be running that with less gain, so things probably even out.

The usual intention with switchable speaker output pairs, is for the pairs to be separated by some distance (such as in different rooms).
Though not unique, what you're doing is unconventional. But it works for you, so good luck 👍.

Reactions: WayneKerr and JDL

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Possibly, but each pair will still take all they need from your amp - giving that a harder time.
Though you may be running that with less gain, so things probably even out.

The usual intention with switchable speaker output pairs, is for the pairs to be separated by some distance (such as in different rooms).
Though not unique, what you're doing is unconventional. But it works for you, so good luck 👍.
Thanks. I used to run the PM7200 bi wired to speakers A and B both running all the time. Because the PM8005 is designed to take 4 Ohm loads per channel it actually explains in the manual how to do exactly what I've done.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I hate to think what I've spent over the last ten years, and desperately try not to think about it,
You've got about 4 grands worth of accessories in the batch currently on loan to me.
Sorry, you were trying not to think about it 😆.

On the plus side, yours has been a concentrated spend - some have been spending for 3 or 4 times your decade - often without such bargain discounts.

Also, unlike others, you've retained much of what you've bought - so there's plenty of cash waiting to go back your way 👍

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

It's a really nice feeling to arrive at that "happy place", isn't it. People who don't get it, just don't know what they're missing. 🖐🏻
People's "happy places" are very different. My own personal view is finally reaching a level where upgraditis and maybes are now a thing of the past... contentment.

Still tinkering around the edges with headphone and amp purchases earlier this year, and maybe a streamer next, but the main system is now sorted.

WayneKerr

You've got about 4 grands worth of accessories in the batch currently on loan to me.
Sorry, you were trying not to think about it 😆.

On the plus side, yours has been a concentrated spend - some have been spending for 3 or 4 times your decade - often without such bargain discounts.

Also, unlike others, you've retained much of what you've bought - so there's plenty of cash waiting to go back your way 👍
Thanks for reminding me :ROFLMAO: I try not to think about it as there have been some mistakes along the way. Must make a concerted effort to offload some redundant gear this year, but I do find it hard to let it go :)

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
People's "happy places" are very different. My own personal view is finally reaching a level where upgraditis and maybes are now a thing of the past... contentment.

Still tinkering around the edges with headphone and amp purchases earlier this year, and maybe a streamer next, but the main system is now sorted.
Same here, no more upgrades necessary for me. I'm happy where I am. I'm impressed with the sound I'm getting. I'm sure my system wouldn't be anything like good enough for a real, proper audiophile. However, I don't think I am a real proper audiophile. 😂

Funny really, I knew last year when I demoed various speakers I was hearing something 'special'. None of them sounded disjointed. Even though the TB2i are great speakers they didn't give me the warm fuzzy feeling I'm experiencing now.

I started a thread about possibly changing the turntable it still sounds great in isolation.... and it looks the dogs.

As it stands, with my new Dac, I'm one contented Penguin.

WayneKerr

Same here, no more upgrades necessary for me. I'm happy where I am. I'm impressed with the sound I'm getting. I'm sure my system wouldn't be anything like good enough for a real, proper audiophile. However, I don't think I am a real proper audiophile. 😂
Don't think many of us would class ourselves as audiophiles, John, we're just music lovers :) The chase just becomes serious when you want to extract as much detail as possible from the media.

SteveH72

Feb 25, 2020
Visit site
I quite like some (not all) of Steve Guttenberg’s ruminations, and I remember him saying that you know when you’ve got a good system when you keep listening to it. That “one more record” feeling. Until you realise it’s 2:30am.
Perfect? No. That’s doesn’t exist. If it did, we’d all have it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts