The new AVI ADM5 active loudspeakers.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I mean, if I thought the way to get rich was to rob a bank, then I'd do it myself, not ask someone else - hang on a minute - Chebby, I have a tiny favour to ask....

Personally, I'd get someone else to do it. ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

CnoEvil said:
altruistic.lemon said:
I mean, if I thought the way to get rich was to rob a bank, then I'd do it myself, not ask someone else - hang on a minute - Chebby, I have a tiny favour to ask....

Personally, I'd get someone else to do it. ;)

smiley-laughing.gif

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Why do Yamaha even bother building £2,000 receivers?

Better quality power amplifiers, more powerful power amplifiers, more channels, more inputs, more outputs, 2K, 4K and more options for lots of different things like video upscaling etc.

John Duncan said:
That's not very scientific, Steve...

Actually it was.

If we could hear a difference between the pre-amps then you could argue that the difference might only have been because the levels weren't matched properly. If this was the case then we would have got the voltmeter out to match the levels more accurately and then redone the comparisons again to see if we could hear any difference between the pre-amps.

However, we couldn't tell any difference between the pre-amps. This means that the volume levels must have already been matched closely enough for us not to be able to hear any difference in either the volume levels or the pre-amps - they both sounded identical to the human ear.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Overdose said:
chebby said:
Overdose said:
This thread's doing rather well. 130 posts and counting in under two hours.

Your inability to tell the time is a little concerning. (Especially as your first post in this thread was almost 12 hours ago.)

Mere details. Anyway, I'm off to bed, I've probably been up for about 37 hours.

There will probably be another 150 posts made by the time you get up in the morning and nothing new or intellegent will have been said .

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
steve_1979 said:
My guess is that the quality of the analogue output would vary quite a lot between TV's.

Why is your guess that the quality of the analogue outputs would not vary quite a lot between AVRs?

I've listened to the analogue output of a couple AVRs (including my own cheap Yamaha RX-V667) and they sound identical to the analogue output of expensive pro-audio gear.

I can only guess about the quality of TVs analogue outputs because I've never compared them.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Let me clear this up, although I doubt AL will be interested.

Almaatak started the Active Speakers thread as a reference thread where people could share information. The addition of the new AVI speakers was entirely valid but should have only attracted a post or two, and then the thread move on.

I was disappointed to see that such a good thread was being dragged through the usual crap attracted by AVI threads.

Instead of asking for the posts to be culled, I suggested that they could be moved elsewhere. I know this has happened before and was not aware that it was now not possible, and forum admin couldn't help.

Tbh, I will refer to the re levant thread on the manufacturers forum if I need info about any product. I'm not sure an ADM5 thread was even needed here yet. They are a product in development and a while off yet.

Andy-F73

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:
John

You are the moderator of this forum but that doesn't mean you know you are right!

Chris

'a' moderator. There are nine of us if I remember correctly.

Come on JD you are better than this ... I know you have had your issues with HDD but you once gave me advice to look at the Neutron V and back them I respected your opinion so much more than any other poster on here!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
John Duncan said:
davedotco said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Easy to buy, hard to see or listen too.

I have no issue shipping product out of Germany but I doubt I am the norm in this respect.

Major London dealer, Studiospares, do not sell the Artist range and they are a bit too expensive, relatively speaking, for the music shops.

www.decks.co.uk/store_homepage

Adam dealers but no mention of the Artist range on their website.

Most music shop type dealers of my aquaintence have the A5X and the new F series if they have not sold out, anything else found in a shop is a bonus.

John Duncan

Andy-F73 said:
John Duncan said:
Covenanter said:
John

You are the moderator of this forum but that doesn't mean you know you are right!

Chris

'a' moderator. There are nine of us if I remember correctly.

Come on JD you are better than this ... I know you have had your issues with HDD but you once gave me advice to look at the Neutron V and back them I respected your opinion so much more than any other poster on here!

I don't understand your point.

T

the record spot

nara said:
I can't believe how you lot fall for it hook line and sinker every time. :rofl:

Ashley's a publicity genius!

Er, yes, to the extent that his company has the rep it does, which is patchy, denigrates other companies and, oh, they've produced a new speaker. Oh whoop. The lapdogs will be chasing their tails at this rate.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Alec said:
fr0g said:
char_lotte said:
. I've sold the pair of Adm's I had as I despise the way this company do "business".

If I did that for every company that I thought conducted its business in an unethical way I'd be sat in a field with no clothes on.

Although I do excercise that choice with a few brands...such as Apple and to a lesser extent, Amazon.

I try to buy products that haven't been tested on animals or have come through sweatshops and near-slave labour.

But you have chosen to avoid a company because of a couple of loudmouths. Well done. You lose the internet.

I have some sympathy with both these views. What I have no sympathy for is overly vociferous pro or anti AVI folk who bang on all the time, encouraged in no small part by mods (for whom I have little to no respect now) who like to say things like "we really should stop all this" and "what?! Me?! I'm only letting the people talk about what they want to talk about", before jumping head first into deliberately winding things up withing the first page of the thread.

o/ Do let me know which house rules I'm not enforcing...

Do let me know where, in this thread, I accused you of failing to enforce house rules.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts